The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 15:19:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350742 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  '69 Bugs - horn honks when you turn the wheel - any ideas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: '69 Bugs - horn honks when you turn the wheel - any ideas?  (Read 2235 times)
Sam K

« on: January 13, 2009, 02:32:34 am »

My brothers '69 bug and another '69 that I helped a friend build both randomly honk when you turn the wheel. I've check all the connections and grounds including making sure there aren't any bare spots in the wire that runs inside the steering column but I haven't been able to figure it out. Has anybody else run into this problem?
deano

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:46:49 am »

1. disconnect horn
2. don't make any more turns
3. wear ear muffs
4. hot wire that goes from the horn button down through the column and to the jump connection on the donut is bare somewhere, and is grounding out against the column wall.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:26:12 am »

What may be happening is that the steering colum tube is rubbing against the top part of the steering colum itself above the clapsable part of the colum, under the gas tank. This has happen to me before. This tube is moveable. Under the steering colum just below the key switch is an allen screw that tighens up on it. losen it and you pull the tube up a little to give some clearance between the tube and the colum itself. Once you look at it, you'll see what I mean.

VW Classic 2012
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 21:37:04 pm »

something I've been needing to get in there and fix for awhile now...  ugh
Sam K

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:22 am »

1. disconnect horn
2. don't make any more turns
3. wear ear muffs
4. hot wire that goes from the horn button down through the column and to the jump connection on the donut is bare somewhere, and is grounding out against the column wall.

Funny! I told my brother not to turn so much, but he didn't see the humor in it at all.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: