The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 13:49:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Terra Soar found and also its way to VW Gasser Garage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Terra Soar found and also its way to VW Gasser Garage  (Read 37882 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 02:33:04 am »

Very neat Russell!
Cant tell in the pics, does it still have the DDS wheels? It would be killer if the pointy nose came with as well!
Looks like the motor was a 912 unit, with IDA's.... hey I know a guy who has the perfect DDS 912/IDA  manifolds for that application... Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Russell

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 08:44:40 am »

The car had been modified by Ken with a further extension front on for downforce, however Dean had wanted to remove this and had started, we just finished it off......

Heres some pics of how we found the car and why the front had to be removed, it is my intention to redo the front end as per the Tera Soar we wll see in the photos, not a massive job but another job !!!

Best Regards

Russell
ESH

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 09:37:32 am »

That is one beautiful photo! I was there that weekend, but I was too busy with an injected Camaro than VWs. We camped two spots over from the Schleys and Lowry. One of my all time favorite VWs.

Looks good on the salt huh? I got sent it a while back chasing down some VW land speed information. The land speed community seem to get hooked on it and there's many that have been every year for decades, there's some guys out there with huge archives of information and photos. I know roughly when the photo is from but if I recall the e-mail I don't think Scott knew exactly which week it was seeing as it was just another photo out of one of the many boxes he had. If you have a date that would be cool. Another great car from the Lowrys for sure. Pleased to see it's got a good new home.

Cool
deano

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 16:10:27 pm »

That is one beautiful photo! I was there that weekend, but I was too busy with an injected Camaro than VWs. We camped two spots over from the Schleys and Lowry. One of my all time favorite VWs.

Looks good on the salt huh? I got sent it a while back chasing down some VW land speed information. The land speed community seem to get hooked on it and there's many that have been every year for decades, there's some guys out there with huge archives of information and photos. I know roughly when the photo is from but if I recall the e-mail I don't think Scott knew exactly which week it was seeing as it was just another photo out of one of the many boxes he had. If you have a date that would be cool. Another great car from the Lowrys for sure. Pleased to see it's got a good new home.

Cool

I would say with the extended nose, 1971. I have photos of Tera-Soar from year(s) before, with the flat nose, and Empi Sprint Star wheels on it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 16:21:51 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 16:59:05 pm »

Cool

I would say with the extended nose, 1971. I have photos of Tera-Soar from year(s) before, with the flat nose, and Empi Sprint Star wheels on it.
the empi DONNA  project was a similar car , this one was a fiberfab jamaican body , and they 're also some sprinstar on the car

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 17:00:30 pm »

more

simon uk

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 17:13:20 pm »

that shot with the chrome sprints and the empi decal looks awesome! If you are going to re-do the paint though, it has to be in the purple! I have some purple paint colour matched from an original paint deano carb linkage that is pretty close to the original deano colour. Obviously the car may well have been a slightly different shade (and metal flaked!).

Russ, how many old drag cars have you got now? I really think you should have a museum, or somewhere that they can be on display, I would drive from Brizzle to Aberdeen to check that out! Also, who do you get to do your paint work, there cant be too many people around who can sympathetically carry out that kind of paint work!

Si.
Russell

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 17:39:01 pm »

paintwork no problem and at a fraction of the cost that it is in englandshire !!!#

Old Drag cars = not enough....

Best Regards

Russell
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 17:48:12 pm »

Come on Russel when it finish are you going to take it back to the salts.

Would be cool you know you want to. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 18:19:02 pm »

Watch out Nevada here comes Russell . Now that would be uber cool  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 18:26:35 pm »

Russ, how many old drag cars have you got now? I really think you should have a museum, or somewhere that they can be on display, !

Si.
[/quote]

Nah fuck the museum JUST DRIVE EM Smiley  EBI all the way Smiley

Russel how to you project manage all these cars though, one car and i get a massive head ache !
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2008, 19:24:23 pm »

that shot with the chrome sprints and the empi decal looks awesome!
hey simon it's not the tera soar with the sprintstars it's an another salt lake car buit by empi very similar but different  Wink

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2008, 20:55:02 pm »

Very neat Russell!
Cant tell in the pics, does it still have the DDS wheels? It would be killer if the pointy nose came with as well!
Looks like the motor was a 912 unit, with IDA's.... hey I know a guy who has the perfect DDS 912/IDA  manifolds for that application... Wink

Cool
deano

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2008, 22:55:08 pm »

It appears that the rear wheels could be DDS, but the spindle-mount fronts are Mitchells. The Terra-Soar ran four wheel brakes back then, and that could be current rule to have four wheel brakes at B-Ville!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:03:22 am by deano » Logged

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Russell

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2008, 23:41:49 pm »

Russel how to you project manage all these cars though, one car and i get a massive head ache !

Answer: Microsoft Project.

Best Regards

Russell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 00:10:24 am »

I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOUR WORK DONE DUDE
 Grin Grin Grin
deano

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 03:40:05 am »

I can only assume that Ken Lowry repainted the Terra-Soar to erase the existance of the (old) DDS, post 1972. But that new paint job is horrible! Also, I notice the original DDS shifter has been updated to the newer syle ARPM one, that Bugpack, Auto Haus and others sold for years (cast, not steel). I do believe that by 1971ish, that 912 Porsche-based engine was replaced with a Type 1 deal. I think those Mitchell spindle-mount wheels were installed so this car could run the drags. It makes more sense, than to ditch the front DDS wheels and front brakes for a land speed car....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 05:52:13 am »

Early '70s Ford Pinto tail lights, or so it appears.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
ESH

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 09:00:45 am »

Cool

He had it pitched somewhere between 70 and 72 so that would make sense, thanks. Is that your car painted on the side of it?

Cool
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 09:09:38 am »

I I think those Mitchell spindle-mount wheels were installed so this car could run the drags. It makes more sense, than to ditch the front DDS wheels and front brakes for a land speed car....
here's a picture of the tera soar may be at ocir
maybe the picture was took the sunday October 18,1970 (bug in 5)  , on the side of the pictures it's written Nov 70

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 17:02:42 pm »

Early '70s Ford Pinto tail lights, or so it appears.

Fits both Pinto AND Maverick!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 17:03:53 pm »

I I think those Mitchell spindle-mount wheels were installed so this car could run the drags. It makes more sense, than to ditch the front DDS wheels and front brakes for a land speed car....
here's a picture of the tera soar may be at ocir
maybe the picture was took the sunday October 18,1970 (bug in 5)  , on the side of the pictures it's written Nov 70

Yes that is probably OCIR. Looks like they were facing back towards the entrance of the Staging lanes.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
deano

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2008, 17:11:09 pm »

Yes, OCIR... Did you notice the For Sale sign in the window??? Looks like Dean Lowry leaning against the door...

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 14:36:55 pm »

here's some other picture i found in my hot vws archives   Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 14:39:04 pm »

pictures from the inside and engine

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2008, 14:41:58 pm »

Wink

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2008, 15:59:46 pm »

Thanks for digging that up Fabs Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2008, 16:06:44 pm »

no probs zack Wink , one needs documentation for russell to make a good restoration of the vehicle  Grin Grin

Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2008, 23:01:53 pm »

Cool pictures soon after Dean Lowry had past away I was invited by Ken to stop by his house in Orange county to look at this car I have somewhere some pictures of it from 1999 I will have to dig them out and see how it was than.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Eddie DVK

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 09:35:18 am »

Russell, I realy dig your feeling for old vws, yet another cool car

Old Drag cars = not enough....

Amen

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: