The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:48:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Sacremento bug or rama 64 5/6th september
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sacremento bug or rama 64 5/6th september  (Read 13805 times)
richie

« on: September 02, 2009, 18:07:04 pm »

Well its Sacremento bug o rama again this weekend,I will be running the cabrio in Pro mod again,and mixing it up with the big boys Shocked
After the new PB I got at the last one along with running 9s all weekend I am very hopefull again that I can go quicker still Smiley There are a couple of targets I set
myself when I shipped the car over to USA and we are getting close to them now Smiley
I have just done matainance since last time out,and modfied the crank pulley to try help keep the belt on as this was our main problem

The Red baron team has a new engine for this race with some innovative stuff on there,as soon as they get it running right it is going to fly,that along with a transmission modification that should stop them breaking axles should see record times.They are targeting running 7s in the not to distant future Shocked
It looks like there will only be 6/7 cars this time in Pro mod,but the whole class should qualify with 9s or quicker with everyone trying to keep up with them.

I will update what is happening when I can over the weekend,starting friday with test n tune 

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
mr horsepower

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 18:51:10 pm »

Good luck dude go kick there asses.

gr henri
Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 18:51:31 pm »

...modfied the crank pulley to try help keep the belt on as this was our main problem...

cheers richie,uk

Hmm, at SCC I could have sworn that mentioned something about your problem being related to lack of wheelie bars... Wink

Looking forward to reading your race reports. Good luck at Sac!

--Eric

BTW, thanks again for the loaner sleeping bags. I wondered why you gave me two of them, then later realized that they were "Slim UK" size, rather than "Husky Texan". Together, they made a lovely half-mummy/shawl combo, and kept me warm and comfy Grin

flatfire

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 20:25:15 pm »

Good luck it sounds exciting with 7 pro mod cars. I wish I was there  Smiley
vwcab

peter

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 22:03:17 pm »

Go for it and good luck.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
richie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 16:27:01 pm »

Well it didnt all go as planned,but when ever does it?

We started pulling the motor tonight,had a couple of problems,first pass  9.70@144.93 with a misfire and slipping clutch.so turned it down to see what the clutch would hold and I knew it would make more power as the air got better,well it slipped like a piece of buttery paper and still a little misfire running 10.90@11something,i thought I would try 1 more with it turned right down,but got to the staging lanes and it wouldnt start,got it back to the pits and the intake was full of fuel,maybe a sticking injector,so I started pulling it apart,cant find anything wrong yet but am going to swap the clutch out anyway,fingers crossed for tommorow.

Dean Nilson is out for the first time with his Ex John Redding chassis car,now converted to EFI,he has something strange going on,they are starting to get it to work but it just cuts out completly at 5000rpm just as the motor starts getting going,hopefully the light of day will show what it wrong there

The Shawn geers pro stock car is being driven by Don brown with just a regular n/a motor,was running mid to low 11s just for some fun

RogerCrawford was the only super street car to run the only pass I saw was the 9.97,but it sounded very crisp,the Hunsaker racing car was there but didnt make a pass tonight 

cheers richie,uk

Udo

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 16:39:32 pm »

Hi Richie
Thanks for the info . Waiting for news  Wink and good luck for you

Udo

tikimadness

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 16:42:42 pm »

Dean Nilson is out for the first time with his Ex John Redding chassis car,now converted to EFI,he has something strange going on,they are starting to get it to work but it just cuts out completly at 5000rpm just as the motor starts getting going,hopefully the light of day will show what it wrong there.
cheers richie,uk

Maybe they have used a revlimiting rotor. Grin Grin Grin

Too bad I can't come over and watch you race as planned.
But good luck and hopefully you getthat well deserved 8

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
RhoadsVW

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 18:23:05 pm »

NEED POINTS Smiley

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
richie

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 07:45:14 am »

Another frustrating day,first thing this morning discovered the fuel pressure reg had a pin hole in the diaphram causing fuel to escape into the intake,we finished changing the clutch out,went in search of a diaphram,no luck so had to buy another regulator,but different rand,which then seemed to change the tune completly with the same fuel pressure,finally seems like the MSD dis 2 box is going away causing the misfire,hopefully tommorow it will run ok as I have had to bypass it.Everyone seemed to have issues today.Best I could manage was 10.30 shutting off in 4th as it was missing stil.
Red baron ran 9.19,jerry matsko 9.66,Brian marvin 10.20 which puts us in 4th qualifying so far
In super street only 2 cars showed and neither Rn fleming or Roger crawford could manage a 9,both running low 10s

The paradise rail went 6.7? @ 210mph which is a new mph best for them and will be a record if they can repeat it tommorow Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:49:02 am »

Hey Richie - go and give my 'dad' a hug for me!  Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
dave.d

10.39 @ 129mph n/a 1.37 60ft pan car

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 11:35:28 am »

big pete has a mag or 3 up stairs if you want to borrow one and it must be your turn to pay!!!!! lol good luck
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 12:39:38 pm »

Thanks for the updates! Have fun and play safe.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
richie

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 14:31:20 pm »

big pete has a mag or 3 up stairs if you want to borrow one and it must be your turn to pay!!!!! lol good luck

Cheesy Funnerly enough one of the comedians next to us offered me the option of a mag last night,but I figered my car was heavy enough without more junk on it Shocked Cheesy  so he can keep his nostalgia where it belongs thanks Dave Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Russell

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 21:24:08 pm »

hey dont knock nostalgia..... it works for me.

Best Regards

Russell
richie

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 01:03:56 am »

Well i guess it wasnt to be,first pass this morning and it stuck in first gear,i can select the other gears but it doesnt come out of first,so we were done then.We have a race in Bakersfield next weekend starting friday so the thrash is on to get it fixed for then Shocked

In Pro mod Eric calabrese ran 8.81 in the final to Jerry matskos 9.91 missing 2nd gear,congrats to Jerry on his new pb 9.04@150mph and also to Brian Marvin for his 9.47@151mph semi final loss,a PB for him by a huge leap

In super street Roger crawford won 9.99@138 to Ron fleming who had problems.

I will put up some pics and video later

cheers richie,uk

Dredawg Racing

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 06:42:18 am »

Hey Richie,
Sorry about the troubles you had in sacramento, I was hoping to get a chance to say hi to you. Hopefully I will get a chance to meet you @ Pinks All Out. I have a blue 69 bug. Good luck getting you car dialed in this week.
Andre'
ugly duckling

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 01:26:35 am »

dont laughf to hard. at least a mag will always keep ticking HOT spark. were a MSD will always leave you stranded every time. thats why prop aircraft today still run them i dont see to many old birds dropping out of the sky do you . its called QUALITY AIR CRAFT QUALITY!! AND RELIBILITY. yea you hit a nerve on that one . what are you woreyed about wight yove got that big old cheaten huffer to take care of everthing RIGHT  Tongue Wink. sorry about all the problems. how dose that old saying go. the more i try understand RACECARS the more i love (MY DOGS AND MY MAGNETO POWERD STREETCAR) . there will be other races no big thing. alls it takes is a tanker truck load of cash.good luck next time youl hit your mark youv done great so far. keep fighting the fight . UD . 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:38:26 am by ugly duckling » Logged

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 06:23:14 am »

dont laughf to hard. at least a mag will always keep ticking HOT spark. were a MSD will always leave you stranded every time. thats why prop aircraft today still run them i dont see to many old birds dropping out of the sky do you . its called QUALITY AIR CRAFT QUALITY!! AND RELIBILITY. yea you hit a nerve on that one . what are you woreyed about wight yove got that big old cheaten huffer to take care of everthing RIGHT  Tongue Wink. sorry about all the problems. how dose that old saying go. the more i try understand RACECARS the more i love (MY DOGS AND MY MAGNETO POWERD STREETCAR) . there will be other races no big thing. alls it takes is a tanker truck load of cash.good luck next time youl hit your mark youv done great so far. keep fighting the fight . UD . 

Or to quote a friend; if they can use mag in top fuel then they are good enough for me.  Wink

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 08:53:56 am »

wish they would make a Magneto you could control via the ECU, now that would be the nuts!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
nicolas

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 19:57:23 pm »

wish they would make a Magneto you could control via the ECU, now that would be the nuts!

blasphemy!!!!

Grin

good to hear the axles hold, no circlipses to swap then. wish i could come over and do some wrenching for you. take care. BTW maybe Dave is on to something there
Sarge

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 13:08:36 pm »

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 21:25:18 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
richie

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 18:17:49 pm »

Well I have got it all back together again and running 
After the problems of the weekend we stayed in Sac sunday night just to relax and get some rest.I drove home monday and pulled the engine and trans as soon as we got back,Mike herbert had offered to take a look inside as soon as I got it out so we took it straight over and he tore it apart,the 1st/2nd gear slider had broken allowing the shift fork to come out leaving it still in first gear,he said it should be an relatively easy fix and would have it done today,as Good as his word he had it all buttoned back up and delivered to me by 5.30 today,whilst this was out I took the oppertunity to try figure the problem we had out,a leakdown check revealed something amiss on 3 cylinders,removal of the heads revealed one bent ex valve and 2 ex seats had moved,also a little blow by between the head and cylinder,I had a spare ex valve so I figued I had a chance.
After a quick conversation with Jeff Denham he agreed to help me out,he recut the seats and surfaced the head mating area,I lapped the valves and he then re assemled the heads for me,changing the springs as a pre caution,I just had to clean it all then put it back together.!!!!!!!!!!!
It fired up at 9.30,no leaks and all seems good,got time to double check everything tommorow before heading of for Pinks all out at Bakersfield this weekend:-)

So thankyou to Mike herbert,Jeff Denham and Steve Dalton for helping get it apart and fixed so quickly

cheers richie,uk

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 18:29:43 pm »

Good work! Wish I was there, but I'm not. Oh well...  Cry Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
dangerous

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 20:26:02 pm »

WOW Richie, that is a "first".
I have never seen a slider break like that!
Sounds like you have a great bunch of friends to help you get it fixed so fast.
Good luck for the week end.
Steve D.

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 23:26:33 pm »

Caption: "Ray, PLEASE put the sawzall away- we'll just borrow a drain plug tool."

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Jesus

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 14:14:55 pm »

Hope your having better success at Pinks all out,

Keep up the updates Grin

Cheers

Alex

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 17:46:18 pm »

Richie why are you thanking Steve he just standing with his hands in his pockets in that photo. Grin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 20:23:53 pm by gold65turbo » Logged

Hahaha your killing me.........
nicolas

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 18:53:36 pm »

Richie why are you thanking Steve he just sanding with his hands in his pockets in that photo. Grin

can't you see he is doing the leakdown test, by blowing in the intercooler... i thought you understoood turbos?!?  Tongue
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 20:36:09 pm »

Hey Nicolas who told you that crap what's an intercooler i don't understand when it comes to putting water in things. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: