The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 23:59:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Race with original heads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Race with original heads  (Read 22428 times)
streetvwnorr

« on: May 26, 2006, 09:49:27 am »

Dont throw away your original heads. Just port them and put them back in you bracker racer and you will have a cheap pair of heads that will give you plenty of fun. Take a look att my bracket racer with 1835cc with original heads (35x32). This engine dont have all the fancy parts, but it will pull to 8500rpm and it will not leave you with big holes in you wallet. 11/6 i will go to the local strip (Pite/sweden) an get a timeslip. Then we will se!

http://www.streetvw.se/filmer/ready.wmv

//Markus
Rasser

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 15:47:44 pm »

What cam and carbs are you using ?.....

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
streetvwnorr

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 21:59:18 pm »

Its a bugpack  dur. 296 and .413 lobelift. Carbs are dellorto 48´s trijet with 38mm venturi and 190 air, 165 mainjet.

Look at my homepage for car & engine spec.

//Markus
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 22:27:26 pm »

You have a very interesting project going there Markus! Report back with the results...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
streetvwnorr

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 07:23:19 am »

i will sure do!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 09:29:49 am »

Sounds awsome dude  Grin whats your compression ratio?

You either "Get It" or you don't......
streetvwnorr

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 12:30:37 pm »

The combustion chamber measures 45cc, so plus the squish (1,4mm) the compression ration comes to app. 9,5:1. To next year i probably will try higher compression and racefuel.
Speed-demon

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 22:03:41 pm »

Impressive videos!!!! Cheesy
streetvwnorr

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 08:48:18 am »

Thanks! One of the reasons to why a started this subject is that most of us that are into vw´s are forgetting the excellent quality of original vw parts. I think that most of the street power vw´s can do with original parts. When you are steping up to full race, then thinks get diffrent. Just to show my point i will race this seson with ported Original heads (35x32). Many of the younger vwfeaks that i talk to, think that they must put expensive parts into there engine. Ok,it doesnt sounds so cool to say -I got original rod, crank & heads i my pan. But hey! It will save you mony and will get you going! 11/6 i will get a timeslip!!!
Rasser

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 21:18:42 pm »

8500 rpm with stock crank Huh

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
streetvwnorr

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 07:47:15 am »

Its a stockcrank with welded counterweight. But to race with that kind of rpm, it demands that i tear down the engine after every season and rebuild it.
streetvwnorr

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 20:25:16 pm »

Ported original heads are a success! 13,33s and a 60-fot 1,70s! Look at the clip and make you own opinion about the original heads potential!
http://www.streetvw.se/filmer/pite.wmv
streetvwnorr

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 11:56:35 am »

Got hold of a picture from a spectator!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 12:21:16 pm »

Wow, impressive! There's an even better time hidden in that 60 ft!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Mangokid

"Inhale the world", (in memory of MH)

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 22:31:25 pm »

Once upon a time...

A few years ago i was looking through my old bin of rusty worn out parts when i came over a pair of great looking stock 1600 twin ports. I took 'em to a machine shop for some wild flycutting and put them on a close to stock 1600ccm engine with a 276 engle cam and one twin 40mm weber. The crank was left in stock condition an no porting was ever done, but i had it 8-doweled, and i threw in a set of "EMPI" valve springs for good measure, and of course some rusty headers and a glasspack muffler.

The result speaks for itself. 15,6 on the q-mile. Still got the timeslip from SCC#1 at gardermoen Raceway "Oslo" Norway for proof, i think. Car was a full bodied 1961 cal-looker on 356 steel wheels. There is plenty of potential in those heads, an for how much money? Close to nothing. Don't ever scrap a pair of, even worn stock double-port heads.

To really know the edge and what lies beyond, one must have passed it.
streetvwnorr

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 07:06:36 am »

Thats what i mean!! It would be wery interesting to know how much it would do if you ported the heads. How much did you flycut them? Just another proof that you can do some fast times with original heads. Very Impressive!!! I dont think that cb044 are a bad  choice. But a think that people are forgetting the roots of powertuning vw´s. I meet guys that dont dare to show up at the strip, beacuse they dont have the right stuff. Keep up the good work! And keep question!

//Markus
Mangokid

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 10:11:45 am »

I really don't remember how much we cut those heads and i've never measured the combustion chambers, but the guy with the mill meant thet we went way to far and that they eventually would crack. I ran 'em for years in my streetcar, and they're still alive, now in my dad's super low-budget racecar, "The Turtle Bug".

Maybe i should pull 'em and do some porting just for the fun of it, and at the same time increase the volume on the engine, from 1600ccm to 1680? Whats your opinion on that, and what camshaft? The crank is balanced, but the flywheel is stock weight. Car is very lightweight with no rollcage.

I ported a pair of heads, (my first ones) per instructions from the "Lo Bugget" website last ear, but haven't had them flowed. Wouldn't call myself an expert, not even an amateur, but hell, it's fun to make cheap stuff work. Or at least imagine that it works Wink

streetvwnorr

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 10:47:27 am »

I am also an beginner concerning porting. I build my self an flowbench so i colud se what every interference did to the flow. With non experience, i increase the flow with 30% on both intake an exhaust. Dont imagine! It works! To next year a will try to port more. The exhausport is untouched, original diameter.I just portet under the seat and combustionchamber. So there there is some more flow to find. But i want to keep the gas velocity high. I believe thats good. And another area to look in to is valve shape and valveseat work (3 angel work). I havent don anything to that, its org. 45 deg. seat and org. valves. So there i also some flow to fetch!
Mangokid

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 11:46:16 am »

Very interesting indeed!

On the last pair of heads i ported, i also reshaped the combustion chambers to look more like those on a pair of 044's i had lying around. As i don't have a flowbench or any proper gear to measure and calculate, it's mostly trial and error the slow way. Do you have any pictures of the 1835 heads of yours to show?

streetvwnorr

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 13:52:53 pm »

Here are some pics!
streetvwnorr

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 13:53:42 pm »

One more!
Speed-demon

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 22:09:40 pm »

What is the weight of Your car?

Don't Yo think You would be better off with ERCO's or some other light weight wheels? I have heard that the weight of the rotating mass in wheels can play quite a large role in Dragracing. Any thoughts about that?

Keep up the good work!!!
Roman

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 00:18:36 am »

Ercos are light but the stock steel wheels are not that bad actually. I guess the BRM copycats ar made in an Aluminum-Lead alloy.
Your work is impressive!
streetvwnorr

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 06:14:50 am »

The car weight app. 670Kg/1470lbs. Ye, i would put some Erco´s on my car, but am also a familyfader. Its all about money! I think thats the reason why i started this investigation on the org. vw head. I think that this engine can push my car into the 12´s. I have to practise launch the car right! I talkt to A J Sims and he gave me some tip. I will give it another try at Pite dragway/ North of Sweden 7-9/7.

//Markus
streetvwnorr

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 18:47:29 pm »

It struck me here the other day that my local strip, Pite dragway, must be the world most northerly located strip in the world. If we take Anchorage,Canada as a reference point at latitude 61n, then Pite dragway is located further north at latitude 65n. Or do you know of any other strip?

To get the picture follow this link.

http://www.astro.com/cgi/ade.cgi?&spli=Pite%E5%2CSWED%2C21e30%2C65n20%2Cf%2C2326%2C2325%2C0&snam=now&fromaq=aq&sprev0=%2C%2C

//Markus
Mangokid

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 19:24:47 pm »

Perhaps weather conditions are more suited for hard launches and good quartermileage up north? Wink

Inspired by your pics and posts i returned to an old abandoned portingproject in my dads basement the other day. Reshaping comb-chambers and straightening x-ports. Too bad i don't have a camera. Not that i god something to teach you, but "all experience and knowledge", and so on.

streetvwnorr

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 07:52:00 am »

Yea! Up here noth we have good conditions for many things! Huh Now i´m just waiting for next racedate, 7-9/7. Will change to other tires (some old rallyslicks, in better conditions than the tires that are on now!) but leave the rest untouched!

// Markus
streetvwnorr

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2006, 18:03:59 pm »

The weekend when everything whent wrong!! a 13,40 pass was all i could perform! I think that i pulled all the gears to high in the rpm conserning my cam. I got the opportunity the weight my car on a good scale. And to my surprise the car weigh 591kg/1298lbs! Its a lightweight! Good for 1/4 times! But i is pretty sensitive sidewind. I got a taste of i last race!!!! And finally i got my self a projekt for the winter. im planing to build my self a inertia dyno. Got hold of two railway vagnon wheels! I will come back white some more info aboute the dyno! Excuse my English, i have been drinking some beer! Good bye!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 19:44:11 pm by streetvwnorr » Logged
streetvwnorr

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 19:55:25 pm »

13,26 with org. heads!!! I would like to thank Hans Dahlen & Kent Sehlkvist for there help this weekend! But now its time for hibernation. So, last i would like to share this clip with you. "Orginal parts are not not despise"

http://www.streetvw.se/filmer/pite060827.wmv

//Markus
streetvwnorr

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 06:26:28 am »

Its pretty mutch the same for me. Have an old house that demands some work on it & a loving family. But this thinks cost! But hey, you wouldent want to live without them. I think thats what put me in this corner (Cheap and fast) If i had the mony? Probebly there would be an bigger engine sitting in the back.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: