The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 23:23:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Back to the future.... Volkswagens final type 1 cylinder head?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Back to the future.... Volkswagens final type 1 cylinder head?  (Read 21030 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 19:29:55 pm »

What did it use for an oil cooler? Type 3 style, laid on its side? No thermostat? Neat that it has fresh air outlets (deleted in that pic) for the heater.

It is ugly...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 19:31:32 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
andy198712

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 21:04:10 pm »

maybe it would work better in a rear engine design with the fan ratio improved? MAYBE it apparently doesnt work will when people have tried due the fan not spinning fast enough?

i still think the cooling is aided by the engine being in the front surely? and geting airflow...?

just some thoughts floating in my head
JIMP

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:03 am »

Also the tinware needs modifiying, as it is now probably the air below the cylinders exits at the flywheel side, this is the oposite of what we need as we move with the engine the other way, so it has to exit to the pulley side, and yes maybe with a better drive ratio the fun would do the job

Friendly

Dimitrios
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 21:05:35 pm »

Hello.
One of the reasons that the Gol with this aircooled engine was taken off the program relatively fast was, - overheating problems.  The fan set up has been used/tried by several people on type 1 engines. Everybody eventually came to the same conclusion. That was that the system did not work properly. They all had severe overheating problems under load on some parts of the engine, while other parts were "ok" (just as was the problem with the Gol engine)

T
dangerous

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 22:24:09 pm »

From 1981 the gol engine had dual port heads and dual carbs.
These would be great to find and modify for use for our high performance engines.

The literature says they ran on alcohol.
Depending on what TYPE of alcohol,
this will help keep the heads' temp down.

I have always used 100% methanol in my drag car for 22 years,
and for nearly 100 years so have speedway midgets, which use  very little cooling system.
What ever the internet theories are, engines DO run much cooler than on gasoline based fuels.
spanners

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 15:43:52 pm »

I raced 100cc two stroke air cooled  karts a while back, and played with methanol mixes, they ran so cool my arm froze, we just could not get enough fuel into the motor and with no burn coulour to read in the chamber and spark plug, we had to abandon the tests, it was strange having a 20,000 rpm two stroke under your arm and staying stone cold.

Best regards, spanners.
dangerous

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 23:09:57 pm »

OH MeXX!
Where did these designs go?!
Come on Buddy! I was looking forward to this canted valve project!
 Kiss
bugnut68

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 23:42:14 pm »

there was a guy on vzi a while back selling a load of those gol fan setups

Don't take my word on it but allegedly Thee Jake Raby tested them and deemed them inadequate. Of course he makes his own shroud so trusting his observations may be like trusting rabbits to send carrots.

I'd trust the guy that has the data to back it up... a couple guys were peddling these shrouds, including a guy in Nevada a few years back.  Jake did a lot of testing on varied shrouds, including the Gol shroud among others, and his reputation is more than enough for me to believe what he's got to say since I don't have a laboratory nor the time to do testing of my own. lol.
dangerous

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2013, 10:53:17 am »

there was a guy on vzi a while back selling a load of those gol fan setups

Don't take my word on it but allegedly Thee Jake Raby tested them and deemed them inadequate. Of course he makes his own shroud so trusting his observations may be like trusting rabbits to send carrots.

I'd trust the guy that has the data to back it up... a couple guys were peddling these shrouds, including a guy in Nevada a few years back.  Jake did a lot of testing on varied shrouds, including the Gol shroud among others, and his reputation is more than enough for me to believe what he's got to say since I don't have a laboratory nor the time to do testing of my own. lol.

I'd rather take the opinion of some one who is not selling an alternative.
fish

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2013, 11:56:08 am »

x 2 ........nothing wrong with VW research, development and engineering

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 15:27:01 pm »

Cool

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
morkrieger

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 21:35:52 pm »

A large part of the 'cool running' on Ethanol or Methanol based fuels is the way higher Latent Heat Enthalpy of vaporization (or energy needed to evaporate mass 'x' from liquid to gaseous state) than Petrol based.
In conjunction with the much higher fuel mass flow (due to the lower specific energy) the total temperature drop in the combustion chamber (from ambient) would be huge
compared to petrol. Starting lower in the cycle means the whole cycle temperature drops -> a cooler running engine.

As for the head design, i would also love to see something 'new' out there. Something running a 'cam-less' system like Fiat's Multi-air, Koenigsegg's Free-valve or perhaps even a Bishop valve, now
thát would be something Smiley. To my opinion there is still a lot to be found in dynamic mixture forming - combustion behavior and therefore piston<->chamber geometry, this is not something that gets done by trial-and-error by the big OEM's and certainly requires some serious computing. Going in depth in port geometry and forgetting about the retrofittable VW parts like rockers also opens up a lot of doors for development.

I can recommend looking at the articles of 'The old one' from Endyn (engine dynamics) he runs Honda 4 stroke engines at insane static (and certainly dynamic) CR's and get's away with it due to chamber/piston geometry, netting a highly efficient engine, also his research on the supersonic exhaust port is something to think about.

So what do you guys think would make a '2014' era Hi-Po ACVW head?  Grin

To name a few (somewhat open doors) that come to my mind:

- Multi valve - multi lift technology (optimize airflow on 'every' rev range)
- variable port geometry
- optimized cooling surface geometry as a 'package' (thus including the fan and shroud)
- Direct injection (this is becoming mainstream on the OEMS, easy parts)

Edit:

some Wiki Links on the heat stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vapor-Liquid_Equilibrium_Mixture_of_Ethanol_and_Water.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 21:54:37 pm by morkrieger » Logged
MeXX

World record holder 8.733 @ 255.658

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 22:40:16 pm »

Hi

Long before the canted valve head from the Gol was designed ARAO was doing something similar

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

There is only one head and there was never a running engine, but definitely a good idea.  Wink Grin Grin Grin

MeXX
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:43:58 am by MeXX » Logged

Drag or Die
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 00:51:17 am »

One word for air cooled power and efficiency, at least for ideas that may be transferrable.........

Motorbikes.
 Wink
wph

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2014, 06:45:30 am »

One word for air cooled power and efficiency, at least for ideas that may be transferrable.........

Motorbikes.
 Wink

I have an aircooled, Suzuki 1100 GS 4-valve scrap head under my workbench, with a chain drive
between cylinders 2 and 3. Maybe if i cut it in half, add a billet front covers and put vernier pulleys
with timing belt to drive cams. Looks very doable, would make a very nice 1300cc, 100 hp/l with stock parts.
Cylinder centers dont' seem to be too far off with these engines.

MeXX

World record holder 8.733 @ 255.658

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 21:59:30 pm »

Hi

another example for a canted valve head the famous ARAO Hemi

So Long

MeXX

Drag or Die
Pages: 1 [2] Print