The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:32:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350701 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  clutch problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: clutch problems  (Read 5600 times)
nicolas

« on: June 14, 2016, 19:17:55 pm »

Fabs (speedwell) is fitting a gearbox in his bug, but it doesn't seem to work.

i have helped him a hand, but we stranded at the point were the car can't be unclutched. the cable was tightened, but it wasn't enough. the car was standing on jackstands and was able to start, gears can be changed when the wheels are spinning, they also gain momentum through the gears. the clutch pedal has no effect. when the wheels are locked by the handbrake to avoid the spinning, he can't change gears. the engine stops to run when put in reverse.

to me it seems that the clutch is engaged and can't be pressed in to free the clutch disc. but the tension on the cable is allready sensible. this is a non guided clutch and there is no ring on the clutch which was bought new (pins removed when fitted)

i have only fitted a non guided clutch once and i haven't had this problem, so i am out of ideas. hope someone can point us in a good direction to solve this. thanks
richie

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 19:36:12 pm »

this is a non guided clutch and there is no ring on the clutch which was bought new (pins removed when fitted)

Nicolas

So its a swingaxle gearbox without guide tube for release bearing? if so clutch needs ring on it to work.

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 15:55:57 pm »

nicolas ,  the clucht have a ring on it   it's on the 1200cc that the clutch don't have the ring , because the other gearbox was a guided one

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Peter

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 15:59:04 pm »

seems like a collapsed guide in the tunnel?
richie

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 17:36:55 pm »

nicolas ,  the clucht have a ring on it   it's on the 1200cc that the clutch don't have the ring , because the other gearbox was a guided one

Fabs

is it a new gearbox? if so does it have a longer clutch arm than the old one?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Martin S.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 19:30:43 pm »

Whenever I drive a car with a good clutch, I kinda thank the lord  Undecided

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
LGK

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 21:09:30 pm »

Hi Fabs & Nicolas,

Check if the bearing in the flywheelbolt is spinning,make sure the top of the primary shaft is not stuck in the bearing or maybe it's just to long,(max = 15mm when measuring from the bellhousing to top of primary shaft)
Sometimes the bearing get damaged when trying to fit the engine in...

Understanding you are able to change gears on the jacks,then you won't be able to "unclutch" whatever you try with the clutchcable,it seems there is your problem.

good luck Steve

nicolas

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 19:37:35 pm »

sorry for the confusion on the ring…

no problem in the chassis, the tube is OK, there seems to be quite a bit of leverage, i can't see the arm before me, so Fabs needs to shime in,

and Steve, i think we need to pull the engine and start looking at what you suggest. i also think the problem is somewhere inside the bell housing.

Fabs when do we meet?  Grin
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 20:10:37 pm »

sorry for the confusion on the ring…

no problem in the chassis, the tube is OK, there seems to be quite a bit of leverage, i can't see the arm before me, so Fabs needs to shime in,

and Steve, i think we need to pull the engine and start looking at what you suggest. i also think the problem is somewhere inside the bell housing.

Fabs when do we meet?  Grin
when you want nico ;-)

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: