The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:22:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350729 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mac Attach vs Red Rider VW Funny Cars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mac Attach vs Red Rider VW Funny Cars  (Read 4732 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: November 13, 2008, 07:51:24 am »

Someone ask about Mark Deacon's Red Rider and if it ever ran. I never saw it finished or running and I am not sure anyone did.  On the other hand, the Mac Attach, build by a friend of mine, Steve Rhodes of the FRAMEWORKS, did get finished and ran very well. Attached is a shot of it with Cory backing the car into the water box at one of our early Phoenix Bug-O-Rama events.  He was always very easy to deal with and he and Dick (his Dad) were very appreciative and always thanked us at the end of an event, for all our hard work.

This is a nice shot of the car that was taken at FIREBIRD International Raceway when the car was new.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:07:50 am »

Rick, one of my abiding memories of coming to the great Phoenix Bug-O-Rama events you organised was the occasion when we witnessed the first ever side-by-side passes by VW funny cars: Cory's MacAttack and Bob Godfrey's Scirocco. What an amazing sight that was! Somewhere I have the photos – I must try and dig them out... When would that have been? About 1991? 1992?

Happy days!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:26:16 am »

Man i loved that ghia and i met Cory few years back and told him how great that car was.
Where's that car now btw and Cory's a nice guy,we talked some vw stuff and got a few tips from him. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:17:23 am »

Keith,

I have a shot of both of them somewhere too. Thousands of pictures to go through to find it. When I do, I will post it.  I enjoyed your article in this months Ultra VW. Good stuff about how far things have come. I can remember using press-type doing the ad layouts for my first Bug-Run events in 1984, before the Scandinavian guys used the name for their events...after I changed ours to the Bug-O-Rama. Wow...was that a long time ago. Hard to believe so much time has passed.

I agree with how much things have changed with the electronic media...from PC to print.  Who would of ever believed it!  When I did my last 4 color layout for my posters in 2005, there was not a single thing done by hand. Everything designed on the computer and straight to the printers.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Fiatdude

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:48:37 am »

Was Talking to Bob Godfrey today and shamed him into texting me a couple of pictures -- LOL

First -- Remember his old FC style Ghia/scirocco --- Here's a picture of the body as of today behind his house -- He's using it as a dog house

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Second -- A picture of his current funny car from Bakersfield this past weekend -- thought the picture doing a burnout with the huge header flames was toooo cool

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:50:13 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
NoBars

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 19:31:52 pm »

I saw the Mac Attack at the Texas Bug In in 87 or 88 (my memory of that time is kinda hazy)

My real name is Anthony Consorte.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 19:23:22 pm »

mac attack ghia was for sale some month ago and was sold to a guy who will restored , and i remeber seeing pict on facebook

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
normac67

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:11:47 am »

Mac Attack at texas Motorplex in the 80,s.
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 15:27:55 pm »

Marc Deacons  two engine attempt never made it to the top as with most all other two engine race cars. The effort was awesome and the engineering was very cool but I dont think it ever ran as good as it did with the single engine. At Baylands Raceway in the 80's it sounded incredible but just could not muster the numbers. The Original engine ,as last seen by myself, was being used as a living room center piece in a Custom made glass case and looked Sweet..!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: