The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 16:16:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350740 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Car of the week
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Car of the week  (Read 20069 times)
lawrence

« on: January 09, 2008, 04:14:38 am »

I am sure that other gearheads on the lounge daydream about and research, real world, non vw cars they would love to own. I do this on a regular basis. How about you. Huh

Last week I was searching ebay motors for "new" GTOs. Some think that they look too plain, but that is what appeals to me. A neighbor has one and I cannot help staring at it every time it drives by. The exhaust note is wonderful.

This week I saw a rough but mechanically sound 57 ford f100 for sale on craigslist. $1500. I envisioned painting it olive drab green with gray steel wheels then adding tall, narrow truck tires for a vintage look. I would love to daily drive something like that and haul dirtbikes on the weekend.

Of course, I love motorcycles as well and was seaching for early 60s triumphs when I stumbled across a picture of 59 harley davidson xlch.  Shocked beautiful.

Someday I will have the time and money to get these things. Cheesy

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:55:53 am »

I am sure that other gearheads on the lounge daydream about and research, real world, non vw cars they would love to own. I do this on a regular basis. How about you. Huh

Last week I was searching ebay motors for "new" GTOs. Some think that they look too plain, but that is what appeals to me. A neighbor has one and I cannot help staring at it every time it drives by. The exhaust note is wonderful.

This week I saw a rough but mechanically sound 57 ford f100 for sale on craigslist. $1500. I envisioned painting it olive drab green with gray steel wheels then adding tall, narrow truck tires for a vintage look. I would love to daily drive something like that and haul dirtbikes on the weekend.

Of course, I love motorcycles as well and was seaching for early 60s triumphs when I stumbled across a picture of 59 harley davidson xlch.  Shocked beautiful.

Someday I will have the time and money to get these things. Cheesy

car I want this week is Ferrari 275GTB/4

probably next week too

and the one after

and
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 19:13:03 pm »

a red 67 with brms jim can i rent your car Huh ......... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes .......................... Grin Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Dick Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:50:40 am »

This week, Ferrari 250 Testarossa.  I just stumbled over a rendering of one that I did last year and have been picturing me in the driver's seat...of the real thing Sad
I also noticed the photo of one posted in the other thread

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:56:56 am by Dick Mitchell » Logged
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 20:48:45 pm »

This week its been this little gem we have in the shop... a genuine 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS, not a clone!!!  Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 22:40:42 pm »

Ferrari 365GTB/4 coupe, aka the Daytona

a trip through Switzerland, on the route to my ancestors' home, Genoa in this car would be just fine with me.
Glauco

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 16:36:26 pm »

I'll give up my left ear for a cruise in this one :p
Ferrari 250 GTO
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 23:35:12 pm »

this week, the little Lancia Stratos.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:35:44 am »

Ferrari 250 GTO

a trip through Switzerland, on the route to my ancestors' home, Genoa in this car would be just fine with me.
This week, Ferrari 250 Testarossa.  I just stumbled over a rendering of one that I did last year and have been picturing me in the driver's seat...of the real thing Sad

"car I want this week is Ferrari 275GTB/4

probably next week too

and the one after"

Well sorry to rub it in guys but I have either worked on, sat in or even been out in ALL of the above cars  Wink Smiley

Check out http://www.dkeng.co.uk/frames.php for where I used to work  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:37:17 am »

Ferrari 250 GTO

car I want this week is Ferrari 275GTB/4

probably next week too

and the one after

and

Well sorry to rub it in guys but I have either worked on, sat in or even been out in ALL of the above cars  Wink Smiley

Check out http://www.dkeng.co.uk/frames.php for where I used to work  Smiley
[/quote]

Angry Angry Angry

just kidding LEe

that's cool wish i could say that.
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:45:00 am »

I even got to see an original "Road going" version of that little Stratos Wink Smiley it was Red with Big Gold wheels off a 308  Smiley

I'm really not rubbing it in guys Wink  trust me it was a nightmare company to work for  Roll Eyes Smiley

Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 01:50:48 am »

I even got to see an original "Road going" version of that little Stratos Wink Smiley it was Red with Big Gold wheels off a 308  Smiley

I'm really not rubbing it in guys Wink  trust me it was a nightmare company to work for  Roll Eyes Smiley

that may be....  what did you do at this company?

Lee.C

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 02:16:11 am »

I was a "Junior Restoration Engineer" I had just finished my 4 apprentership at GM/vauxhall/holden (depending on country) and I wanted to move on.

It was a AWSOME place to work and its where I learnt ALOT of fabrication skills as well as "Hand Polishing" which is why my Cal Parts Look Soooo good  Wink Smiley

I used to take a freshly Sand Cast aluminuim Monza filler cap and purely by HAND I would get it to a MIRROR finish  Shocked
by the time I left I could do one in about 8 hours  Smiley

We even did a Pebble Beach car - a 1951 212inter - now that was a truly beautifal car - check it out  Smiley

oh yeah and I once prepared the Black Speedster from "Top Gun" for a concours show  Wink Smiley

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:18:27 am by monkiboy » Logged

Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 04:31:42 am »

I was a "Junior Restoration Engineer" I had just finished my 4 apprentership at GM/vauxhall/holden (depending on country) and I wanted to move on.

It was a AWSOME place to work and its where I learnt ALOT of fabrication skills as well as "Hand Polishing" which is why my Cal Parts Look Soooo good  Wink Smiley

I used to take a freshly Sand Cast aluminuim Monza filler cap and purely by HAND I would get it to a MIRROR finish  Shocked
by the time I left I could do one in about 8 hours  Smiley

We even did a Pebble Beach car - a 1951 212inter - now that was a truly beautifal car - check it out  Smiley

oh yeah and I once prepared the Black Speedster from "Top Gun" for a concours show  Wink Smiley

DUDE!!!!! you have touched and polished some hallowed machinery!!! A 212 Inter?? Holy COW!
Truly beautiful indeed!

MAN do you get what you have seen, polished, played with ?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 07:35:04 am »

Yep I sure did dude and don't worry I "Get" how lucky I am to have played with these AWSOME bits of kit  Wink Smiley

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 02:24:05 am »

i'd like to introduce a car of the week  Grin
a few days ago i was walking to the bus from my campus and this wicked 911T drove past. imagine - cold engine, sputtering etc. with the cool fuchs wheels shining in the dark etc. i was in awe  Wink

then today i spot it again, parked in between all modern day cars, apart from the volvo amazon and jaguar mk II a few meters away.

don't you love the colour? i'd love to see a looker in that goldish yellow colour.
i had a good look on the dashboard too. tach goes until 8,000. oil press. oil temp etc. awesome!!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:26:08 am by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 17:20:49 pm »

belgian license plate  Cool Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 17:56:21 pm »

now here is an odd ball...

1980 BMW M1
3.5 liter Kugelfischer mechanically-injected, 6-butterfiled 24-valve DOHC 6 cyl

Guigiaro-designed exotic-car bodywork, build commisioned to Lamborghini (but later revoked thanks to Lambo's financial crisis at the time), race-car for the street...BMW made these to meet homologation requirements for Gr 5.

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 18:59:53 pm »

I actually ran one of these with my '67 up Newport Blvd. from the light at Foothill Blvd. He pulled me but not by a lot. I still wonder what he thought when his brand new state of the art supercar was being paced by a 15 y.o. Volkswagen. One of my favorite (not quite a) kill stories!

Grin Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 23:11:59 pm »

a few days ago i was walking to the bus from my campus and this wicked 911T drove past. imagine - cold engine, sputtering etc. with the cool fuchs wheels shining in the dark etc. i was in awe  Wink

then today i spot it again, parked in between all modern day cars, apart from the volvo amazon and jaguar mk II a few meters away.

don't you love the colour? i'd love to see a looker in that goldish yellow colour.
i had a good look on the dashboard too. tach goes until 8,000. oil press. oil temp etc. awesome!!

HMMMMMMMMM and it a Targa  Grin I LOVE THAT COLOUR  Wink Smiley

Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 01:06:05 am »

Renault R5 Turbo

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 01:22:27 am »

Renault R5 Turbo

YEAHH BABYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 01:37:41 am »

Renault R5 Turbo

YEAHH BABYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cool

Stephan can appreciate!!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 01:57:40 am »

Homo's....

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 01:58:01 am »

Homo's....

Kiss
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 02:07:54 am »

Homo's....

You been using Sarge's soap again??  Grin Grin

Turtle001

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 09:07:31 am »

Hey D -- i think you spotted my uncle's car -- i just have to check the license plate with him -- but i'm pretty sure it's his targa!

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 09:37:17 am »

Today, for me, a Bizzarini Strada...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 11:54:58 am »

Hey D -- i think you spotted my uncle's car -- i just have to check the license plate with him -- but i'm pretty sure it's his targa!

cool!
does he work at tilburg university? or go to TIAS Nimbas business school? that's where it's parked, i see it everyday now  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 18:26:18 pm »

Today, for me, a Bizzarini Strada...

Nice choice. I saw several at Concourso Italiano this year.

When I was a kid, there was a guy in Newport Beach that had one I would see occasionally.

Could it be that your Alfa has put you in an italian mood?  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: