The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:21:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350708 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New Aluminum Engine Case's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Aluminum Engine Case's  (Read 8803 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« on: November 30, 2007, 19:48:15 pm »

New Aluminum Engine Case's What Do You Guys think of Using The New Aluminum Engine Case's over a VW Mag Case,  I Know They Weigh about 10 Lbs More but I have Heard the Lifter Bores hold up better and they Dont Pound Out The Case meaning less Line Bore's  Whats Your Input on Mag Verse's Aluminum 

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Peter

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 20:01:36 pm »

I chose an alu case,
for the exact reasons that you listed..
it weighs more, but i dont care, 5 kgs on a 800 kg car will not make a big difference Grin
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 20:14:10 pm »

I like mine sofar...
needed a little work when new.

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 20:41:45 pm »

From what I have read, the new generation of cases are much better than the first ones, but they still need some work.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 21:06:33 pm »

I have Also Heard the Aluminum Cases Run A Little Hotter and the motors are louder ? any Truth to that?

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Peter

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 02:09:48 am »

i ve heard that that is also true,
the aluminium soaks up the heat, and Mg gets rid of the heat easier
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:50:16 am »

Aluminium cases are about 15lbs heavier, and your oil temp will be about 15-20 degrees hotter. Im stickin with Mag as long as I can.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
ugly duckling

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:26:05 am »

aluim all the way. sure there not made of the finest aluim but still a far better foudation for a big build or even a large x huge build for that matter. just double check everything deberr open the windows and sand seal and you wont have any trobels. just my two bits.  UD.

Jim M

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 03:43:13 am »

Aluminium cases are about 15lbs heavier, and your oil temp will be about 15-20 degrees hotter. Im stickin with Mag as long as I can.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Is this hearsay or from experience?

Porters Precision
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 04:11:55 am »

Research Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 14:07:55 pm »

might be a little bit off topic, but where do you guys buy your new ready machined mag cases?
any links?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 15:33:48 pm »

In the US? Brothers is a good place to check. I didn't buy my case from them, but they will be doing the work on it. Their price for a new case is $400 which is reasonable.

Their Samba add:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=454587

--louis

Louis Brooks

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 17:21:05 pm »

I have ordered (as soon as there ready) the TF1 ali case, looks real good to me.

http://www.precisionalloy.com/

I'll let you know what there like when i get my hands on one.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Peter Roberts

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 17:25:26 pm »

I built and fitted a Mag cased 2332cc 10.5 to 1 CB2289 cam'd engine for a friends Bug , and while it was being freshened up one year , we borrowed a friends CB Ally cased 2276cc FK87 cam'd 10.5 to 1 John Maher Built 198 HP motor , and the guy that lent my friend the engine , jumped in for the ride to DAS Drag Day last year , my friend driving to and from England .

The temps were exactly the same on the ally case as they were on his Mag case , same car , same gearing , same driver and driving style .

That's my research  Wink
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 22:53:20 pm »

I have ordered (as soon as there ready) the TF1 ali case, looks real good to me.

http://www.precisionalloy.com/

I'll let you know what there like when i get my hands on one.

Hi Martin Whats the Price $$$ on that Case??

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 23:57:33 pm »

They Havnt told me a price yet, but im expecting about $1000.00.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
jick

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 00:13:08 am »

I built and fitted a Mag cased 2332cc 10.5 to 1 CB2289 cam'd engine for a friends Bug , and while it was being freshened up one year , we borrowed a friends CB Ally cased 2276cc FK87 cam'd 10.5 to 1 John Maher Built 198 HP motor , and the guy that lent my friend the engine , jumped in for the ride to DAS Drag Day last year , my friend driving to and from England .

The temps were exactly the same on the ally case as they were on his Mag case , same car , same gearing , same driver and driving style .

That's my research  Wink

interesting.....my research shows similar results, i have checked both my Mag case temp & CB ali case temp and they are both the same.......however, both are on my garage floor, never having been built.

i hope this is of assistance to you.
you, however, may hope i run out of booze. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 00:21:40 am by jick » Logged

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 01:20:21 am »

While I have no personal exp, I have talked to several who have used the CB case with good results. One nice thing about the CB case is that you can get it with a raised deck if you are running an 84+ stroke.

--louis

Louis Brooks

ugly duckling

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 07:55:39 am »

yea and the tf1 is 100drop stock  Grin can you say 94or maybe 96stroke  Grin  UD.

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 16:54:59 pm »

off topic again, but what is shuffle pin.
and do i need it for a 1915?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 02:00:06 am »

LOL Thats When Your Center Main Starts Doing The Shuffle Grin It is a Good Idea to have it Done While you are doing everything Else

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 02:20:50 am »

A shuffle pin is a sleeve that is fitted, usually to the two case studs for the center main, so that the case halves won't move around at high rpms. The sleeves are pressed into one half of the case and have a tight fit in the other when the cases are bolted together. (I stole most of that description out of the Aircooled VW Engine Interchange Manual.) It is probably a good idea if you plan to drive your 1915 hard. And what would be the point of having a big motor if you didn't drive it hard.

--louis

Louis Brooks

qubek

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 11:28:56 am »

I chose a new mag case and I regret it. It’s not done properly, the main bearing seats are oval.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 15:51:34 pm »

A Qoute From God! ("Gene Berg") FYI

The crankshaft is the heart of the engine. Few people realize its importance. An extremely large amount of failure can stem from a crank that does not have the proper rigidity. As you read this you should become extremely clear that no one has addressed these problems as I have.
First let's look at the case. Many people say to shuffle pin it to stop it from walking around and pounding out. I, personally, approached this completely different thanks to Claude Bushard the automotive machinist that I started with when I was 16. He continually preached to me to step back and take a good hard look at what was happening before I made any judgments or decisions, and never, never put a bandage on your elbow for a sore on your knee. Never listen to anyone else's cure until you have figured out on your own what you think is the problem and then listen to at least two people's opinions of what they independently think caused the failure or damage.
With the VW case it was obvious to me that something was causing the damage, the case did not just give way. My first clue was having to run a lot of deck height as compared to my Ford or Chevy engines. When I also found bent crankshafts in high RPM engines it was obvious that it was the crank causing the problem and not the case. Needless to say, I also was looking at a Porsche engine that was not suffering from these problems at higher RPM's so I was impressed with the counterweighted crankshaft. Naturally, this was the first cure.
As HP and RPM increased, we saw the problems return. We even had some new problems. Again, to the crankshaft. Not only did we find the deck height was a problem, but the lack of crankshaft rigidity caused the wrist pin keepers to burr up or be knocked out. The rest of the industry simply put in Teflon buttons. I determined that this problem was completely from the crankshaft actually bending up at the top of the stroke (and down at the bottom) putting the rod out of alignment, pushing sideways on the pin rather than having "0" load when the crank stays straight. We also found that ring life was much worse and in some cases when the
rings were new, blow-by was a problem, even when the leak down test was good. This also was from the bending of the crankshaft pushing sideways on the pin and piston unloading the rings and naturally this bending was pounding out the case.
At the time (1975) we were trying to solve these problems for race cars. A couple of our street customers that we had testing our Rabbit rod, drop in 78mm stroker crank kits started to report wrist pin keeper problems and/or bad blow-by in only about 10,000 miles. It seems these cranks were bending and the harder they ran them the worse they got. It was obvious right off that these were headed for premature failure so they were not produced for sale from that time on. This did not surprise me as anyone that has seen one knows this journal is super small and there is no way to add material to the cheek between the journals to provide rigidity. Furthermore, the Rabbit is an in line engine and has none of the problems the opposed VW has with flexing.
Our first cure in 1973 was to weld up the center main to the 411 bigger journal size to add strength to the center of the crank. Yes, this worked fine for some of the cranks, however was expensive and did not cure all these problems with the longer stroke cranks. It was obvious that it would be cheaper and far stronger to cure everything with an all-new forging. With this new forging I had the ability to make all 3 big mains to the larger 411 size and better yet was able to make the web in between each journal much thicker, greatly increasing the strength. Naturally, our forging is a true forging that is forged to journal shape. This is the only way that you have grain orientation and full strength, regardless of material or heat treatment.
Naturally, the 411 center main became standard so next was to determine at what stroke to go to the thinner Porsche or Capri rod to get this thicker web. Thousands of tests revealed that any stroke beyond a 78mm should have the thicker web to provide full case life. This eliminated 99.9% of all the case pounding, even with 86mm stroke and all the wrist pins (never a need for Teflon buttons) and ring unloading problems. If you have a low HP low RPM engine, these problems may not be as prevalent, however they are still going on in some form, reducing the life of engine parts to some degree, costing more per mile to run.
Processing of a crankshaft is as valuable as the quality of the forging's strength. Few people know what it takes to do the job right and no other company in the VW business offers all of the processes that we do to assure the consumer of the best dollar value available any place.
First, is the machining which is fairly straightforward. Well, not really, because some people machine almost exactly to size on the journals and to finished size on the gear and pulley area. This is because they are not going to do the next two processes. If they do the stress relieving it reduces the part of the crankshaft that is already to size. The 36-hour stress relief process stops all the surface stress cracks that machining always causes and costs about $85. Next, a process called "green grinding" is performed to grind out the surface stress cracks and this costs about $120. Then the oil holes are added. One extra step is done to the main bearing oil holes, which adds leads into the hole at a cost of $65 per crank. What this does is centrifugally forces the oil into the rod journal at greater oil pressure than what the pump can provide by itself.
The higher the RPM, the higher this hydrodynamic pressure becomes. People that cut a groove around the main journal reduce the pressure at the rod as the oil is allowed to escape and "rope" around the main journal, reducing the pressure at the rod. Now, this groove around the journal is far cheaper to put in by a single cut with a radius tool. Next, the rod journals are finished. All four are ground to the same stroke and index. This requires much more time than pulling journals out of stroke or index to get it to clean up faster which is common to cranks that are machined too close to the finished size. The main line is critical, as it must all be on one centerline. We have five different dial indicators (over $1000 each) so we can grind every surface on the main line at one time. All of the competitor's cranks I have checked have only the mains ground and the rest is machined when the crank is first started.
Many of these have run out from the mains to the gears, pulley, and flywheel area. Most other people's cranks I checked did not even have the small main ground at the same time as the 3 big mains. The crank was removed from the grinder and put back in to grind the small main. Now, we all know it is impossible to get the crank dialed back in the same again once it has been removed. It seems they only have one dial indicator for their grinder.
This is also a wide spread problem with all re-ground crankshafts and 99% of the counterweighted/ground and welded stroker cranks others sell as they are not ground properly or on the center line of the crankshaft, suffering from run out or out of square to the rod journal.
Doweling the crankshaft to its mating flywheel as one unit is the only way to have a proper fit from one to the other. People offering crankshafts that are already drilled (with or without dowels installed) are selling a product that will never have a correctly fitting flywheel, (see index for page number for doweling). To offer the crankshaft with the flywheel custom fit to that crankshaft also provides us with the opportunity to dial the run out on the flywheel to assure that it is less than factory specs. Having less run out than stock is critical in high RPM engines and if allowed to be too far out could cause the flywheel to shake itself off the end of the crankshaft. To dowel, check and correct run out costs $70 or more than simply drilling some holes in the end of the crankshaft and sticking some dowels in as all others do.
Lastly, is the proper balance of the crankshaft and flywheel. Our cranks all include dynamic balance of the crankshaft in the price of the crankshaft. I do not know of anyone else that includes this in their price. That's another $50.
Most companies do not offer Nitriding (surface hardness) to their crankshafts or charge extra for it. This accounts for $95 more expense that others do not do as a standard procedure.
In summary, if you think our cranks are expensive you need to consider that our (true) forging costs $195 more than anyone else's and we do $485 more work to the crank than anyone else. All this work adds up to as much as $680 more to produce our crankshaft than if we were to cut out all the processes our competitors do.
We know our crankshafts offer at least 75% more value per mile than anyone's. Why settle for less?
Furthermore, if you have case pounding, pin keepers coming out or burring up, crank gear, flywheel, and/or pulley run out, poor ring seal (even with quality P/C) you likely have a crankshaft problem (provided it is not in a line bored case). That is common to all other aftermarket cranks we have tested. Some companies are even cutting more out of the web to make a super lightweight crankshaft, which also makes it far weaker and flexes even more. Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Donny B.

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 16:20:39 pm »

Yeah, I remember back when Berg had a sale on their cranks and you could buy a forged stroker for $550 and the counterweighted 69mm crank for $130 (I think).  I bought 3 of the stock stroke cranks.  One for me and two for friends.  I ended up buying one back which I still have in the original box.  I have a forged stroker in my 2007, but I paid much more than $550 for it.  Boy what would I give to have that opportunity all over again?Huh

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 16:40:54 pm »

Hell I remember when we use to put on VW Car Rallys In Orange County and Berg Would Donate about Three Gift Cert's for Counterweight your Crank Those were the Good Old Days Fat Performance would Donate two Sets of T Bars, Rimco would Donate Machine Work, Auto Haus,Johnnys Speed & Chrome, Small Car Specialities,Truck & Bug,ProFormance,and Many Others All Donated Gift's or Cert's for The Raffle the Best Part is We All Had Fun We All Got A Long, And We were Loyal To The VW Shop's That Supported Us, there are not near the Shops there once was. They Have Fallen just like G.Serranos Live buy the sword Die By the sword.  Wink Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 16:44:18 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
fast54vw

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 08:05:29 am »

experience here. zach is right

Its not what you do, its how you do it!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: