The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 17:16:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  just a story, ending with a question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: just a story, ending with a question  (Read 4616 times)
peejke

Keep it simple...

« on: August 04, 2013, 11:42:32 am »

Back in the summer of 1998 I was undertaken a 2 month hitch hiking trip true california. Started in SF and went down to San Diego. Tried to see as many punkrock and HC shows on the way, and stayed with a lot of very friendly young people, more then a few who drove bugs and busses by the way. Allso stayed with friends in Huntington beach for 2 weeks (11e str) and had the best time ever. Surfing, playing pool, and hanging out in the java jungle (coffeebar) is a great way of spending time I guess. I don't no if the java jungle still exists but I recall a moment in this  period as it was yesterday. I was sitting outside and a beautiful off-white callook beetle drove up. A guy got out and took his board out of the car. Then I noticed He had SWP tatooed across his forhead (supreme white power) and had a swastika on his board. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I ask't my friends what it was all about and they told me they had constant problems with these neonazi guys.
So my question is, are they in any way part of our beloved scene in Huntington beach or california or was this just an idiot having a great looking car.

way to much old shit at home, ...
'57 single cab, 1776 powered
'71 baywindow westy , 1835 powered
'54 oval ragtop , texas brown , stock as hell
flandria sport moped collection, other old mopeds, BSA A65 cafe racer, yamaha SR500 dirt tracker
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 13:43:51 pm »

I guess its just an example of assholes in every hobby, but I wonder if he had anything to do with the '55 that Skim from GFK built that appeared with a swastika welded on the header a couple of years after it was sold?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
steve_pugh

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 23:40:44 pm »

That's pretty ballsy of anyone to have a tatoo on their forehead..     
Especially if he's woken up to himself and realised what a total tool he was and now he has that on his head.  Idiot...

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:15 am »

I can only answer from my experience in DKK. One of the things that made the club special for me was that we were very culturally diverse. Everyone's culture was appreciated. Of course we'd often poke fun at each others background but it was never done in a way that was belittling or hurtful. 

My background is French & Italian. French was the primary language at home and I really didn't speak english until I entered school. I always felt out of place. DKK was one of the first places that I felt like I fit in.

So the short answer to your question is that in my experience is that Neo-Nazis/White Supremacist were not really influential in Cal-Look.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Fiatdude

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:42:20 am »

I would bet that he didn't roll thru Compton (and a few other places) too often

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
peejke

Keep it simple...

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:39:24 pm »

Since I've been active in the aircooled scene (in Europe), I allso never had the feeling that these guys where part of it, this was just such a strange moment I still remember it vividly.

way to much old shit at home, ...
'57 single cab, 1776 powered
'71 baywindow westy , 1835 powered
'54 oval ragtop , texas brown , stock as hell
flandria sport moped collection, other old mopeds, BSA A65 cafe racer, yamaha SR500 dirt tracker
plasticblack

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 13:14:14 pm »

I have been involved with the VW scene in England since 1976 and have only once had an issue that was racially motivated and that was was with one particular individual who was a well known asshole.

Thats pretty good going for 36 years I reckon  Grin
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 14:46:39 pm »

Just a random idiot. 

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 17:56:09 pm »

I guess its just an example of assholes in every hobby, but I wonder if he had anything to do with the '55 that Skim from GFK built that appeared with a swastika welded on the header a couple of years after it was sold?
i remember that car neil

and there's and other car from german folks (may be at the beginnig of the club) it was scott  smith a black 67 with origianl BRM and others empi parts he had a svastika on the extinguishers in the car
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 18:08:16 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 18:34:06 pm »

When I was growing up in the early 80's, skinheads were big.  There was one guy ( a moron) who put a tattoo on his own forehead!

He made one small error, when you look in a mirror everything is a mirror image, he did not account for that!  So he has had to spend most of his life with the word "screwdriver" in reverse on his forehead!!!  What a twat.  Screwdriver were a right wing skinhead band.

Swastikas are actually Hindu and mean life is good.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
bugnut68

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 20:27:12 pm »

When I was growing up in the early 80's, skinheads were big.  There was one guy ( a moron) who put a tattoo on his own forehead!

He made one small error, when you look in a mirror everything is a mirror image, he did not account for that!  So he has had to spend most of his life with the word "screwdriver" in reverse on his forehead!!!  What a twat.  Screwdriver were a right wing skinhead band.

I suspect the Nazi party wasn't thinking in terms of this definition when they integrated it into their regime... it's my understanding it was a representation of the German eagle design that represented their party.
gizago

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 20:58:10 pm »

Is that not if they are drawn the opposite way around?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 21:44:24 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: