The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 18:19:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350705 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Loose the oil control plunger for stock cooler or not ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Loose the oil control plunger for stock cooler or not ?  (Read 4497 times)
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« on: February 23, 2011, 20:42:33 pm »

As the subject says.... I'm running my oilcoolers in the full-flow system. (with thermostat). Since i'm going to run with Porsche cooling i would like to plumb an extra cooler from the original case in/outlets to the inside of the car for some heat on colder days. So, loose the oil-control plunger for the stock cooler or not ? Would removing even improve constant oilpressure ? (CSP do claim, on their full flow fittings).

Thanks guys,
Harry
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 21:13:56 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 19:11:38 pm »

100 hits and no advise ? I must have asked a stupid question then. Checked richie,uk posting on his engine build and i will loose the oilcooler control plunger.

Done ? Not Yet.
Peter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 19:55:12 pm »

Hey Harry,
is the case plugged then or not?
or isnt that needed?
Harry/FDK

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 20:53:13 pm »

Hey Peter, no, the case outlet/inlet for the stock cooler is not plugged, i would like to plumb a cooler from the stock cooler outlet/inlet into the inside of the car for some heat. I'm using Porsche cooling so...The other oilcooler is in the full-flow system.
I'm going to loose the plunger anyway and see what the oilpressure will be. I made myself pretty clear on this one. (no offence Peter).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 20:59:07 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Taylor

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 22:59:54 pm »

do you see that hole right next to the "v" in volum?  that is a high pressure bleed hole that drops oil into the cam gear space.  if you take the plunger out you will lose oil pressure through there at all times... not just when the engine has too much.  have you plugged this hole?
Harry/FDK

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:36:33 am »

Thanks Taylor ! And Thanks UD !

Done ? Not Yet.
Peter

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:05:30 am »

If you lose the plunger,
arent you dumping all of the oil directly into the sump before it even reaches the bearings?
Harry/FDK

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 14:30:59 pm »

Correct, i found one solution in richie,uk 's topic. But that's to complicated for me to do. So after a PM from UD i will keep the plunger as is. Thanks Peter.

Harry
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 14:35:18 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Mike Lawless

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 17:47:59 pm »

You can lose the plunger, but as others have said, the bleed hole into the cam gear area needs to be plugged. This would leave the flywheel end relief to do all of the pressure regulation and it could get overwhelmed, causing some damage if the pressure spikes too high. (Blown filter, ruptured coolers, etc.).

If you go with that type of arrangement, you must use an external pressure relief. It's fairly easy to set up using a Hilborn style mechanical fuel injection pressure relief valve. They cost between 30-50 bucks US. Plus some high pressure hose and some fittings. Once you do this, you can simply plug the oil cooler ports on top of the case, or if a cooler is there, it will be a full time cooler.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 17:55:31 pm »

sorry to butt in, but would a JayCee oil filter mount with pressure relief suffice?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Mike Lawless

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:46:59 am »

Yes it would. I run one myself. It's a very nice peice. The fuel injection valve is a low buck option though

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
drgouk

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:13:25 am »

If you get rid of the oil control valve, I would return the filtered oil back into the main oil gallery, not the usual oil gallery above the main oil gallery, One less turn for the oil to make. Jaycee sells the long fittings to enable this to be done.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: