The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 15:25:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  My Perfect Early '70s Garage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My Perfect Early '70s Garage  (Read 3477 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: September 24, 2008, 20:14:12 pm »

A little bit of everything, for every occasion. Nothing exotic, only cars that the average "shower after work" blue collar guy could afford (albiet not all at the same time, but I digress Wink). Only cars from 1970-1973 are allowed in. Naturally my 1972 EMPI GTV is a shoe in, but here is the rest of my perfect garage... Smiley

For starters, I'd need something fun; 2 doors, 2 seats, rear drive, and great handling. A Porsche 911 is the obvious choice, but it is a bit out of reach for the average man, and it is just a bit too obvious. Therefore my submission is the Datsun 240Z. Great proportions, and great potential with the right aftermarket bits bolted on. I love those headlight covers.

Next, when the need arises for some heavy lifting, I will need a pickup truck. Fullsize, with a big guzzling V8. There isn't many cool trucks out there from that time period, but there is one that is definitely... different!! I give you the Dodge Dude. Produced in very limited numbers in 1970 and 1971, these trucks were the grandad of the SS Silverado's and Ford Lightning's. I'll take mine with a 440, and yellow with black stripes, please.

It probably didn't help the bottom line to have Don Knott's as your add man, either Roll Eyes

Sometimes getting lost out in the boondocks is just what a man needs to clear his head. Four wheel drive, short wheelbase, good low end grunt, and not a Jeep!! The coolest 4x4 ever offered, the To#¤ta FJ40 Land Cruiser.

Someday, if I am so lucky, I'll want to take the family out camping, but I wont be able to stuff everyone and all their gear in the FJ. Well, the Volkswagen Westfalia can swallow it all, and make for one cozy camp site. I am partial to a 1971 model, in white, because that is what I grew up with as a kid. It brought me home from the hospital 27 1/2 years ago, and took our family all over the U.S, as well Wink '71 also retains the type 1 upright engine, and features disc brakes.

Now for some personal transportation. Why drive, when you can ride?? A proper British motorbike is what I need, and I abseloutly dig the syling of the Cafe Racers of the early 1970's. BSA, Norton, Triumph, doesn't matter to me as long as it sports a healthy upright, aircooled twin. Other than that, I really don't know that much about them!

I know this is a BMW, but doesn't it look like funn?? Smiley

I still feel the need for a tidy little convertible, for some top down motoring. Also an average size 4 door, possibly a wagon, to do some people hauling. But I can't think of anything affordable, from that time frame, and most importantly- that tickles my fancy!

Given those parameters, what would be in your garage??

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 20:26:01 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sam K

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:23:03 am »

Let's see.... here's what I'd have in my early 70's garage.

1. 1970 Pontiac GTO, triple black, 400, 4 speed (daily driver)
2. 1972 Chevy CST 10 short box fleetside, 400 SB, black with red interior, Ansen slotted mags
3. 1970 Chevelle SS454 L7, blue with white stripes (race car)
4. 1970 Bug Convertible, green with black top and interior, sprint stars

That's all I would need.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 16:01:55 pm »

gotta see some pics here Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sam K

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:11:20 am »

I know, I know. Unfortunately, I'm not clever enough with computers to figure out how to find and post pictures that I didn't take. I wouldn't mind a few pointers! Grin
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:16:55 pm »

i hope they're the right models etc, but here they are then Wink

i can't be bothered to do number 4, you know that will look like  Cheesy

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
LuftsickTero

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 13:21:23 pm »

I know, I know. Unfortunately, I'm not clever enough with computers to figure out how to find and post pictures that I didn't take. I wouldn't mind a few pointers! Grin

Right click the image in web-page, if the pop-up menu appears (it can be disabled via script on the page) select "properties" and copy/paste the image URL/address to your post. If the "properties" pop-up menu is disabled it's bit more work (like disabling the scripting engine in your browser temporarily so the disable-popup script won't work).

Then select the image URL in your post and click this icon:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 13:24:54 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Sam K

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 14:08:51 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys!
Sal E

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 22:11:05 pm »

And a green Bug.  Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 22:20:49 pm »

Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: