The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:06:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Burn, baby burn!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Burn, baby burn!  (Read 6730 times)
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« on: October 15, 2008, 19:57:31 pm »

The aim of this thread is twofold.

Since Ruff's engine bay caught fire, I was curious who ever has experienced the same mishap. I'm sure you didn't like it, but what was the damage, did you rebuild the car or did you maybe even took advantage and upgraded some bits and bobs.

And secondly, who's prepared for this. Are you going commando or do you carry a fire extinguisher. What sort of extinguisher do you have, powder, foam, gas? And where did you hide it in the car?

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 20:00:31 pm »

Bates.

yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 21:38:51 pm »

I always carry 2 extinguishers (1 & 2kg). Having just 1 (1kg) is useless.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 22:01:53 pm »

I always carry 2 extinguishers (1 & 2kg). Having just 1 (1kg) is useless.

I ALWAYS carry one too - ever since my friend Rob blew an oil line on the highway and I thought he was going up in flames Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 00:56:08 am »

When I first built my orange '66 in '79, I put a powder charged extinguisher on the tunnel, just forward of the shifter. Mainly 'cause I was paranoid of fires and it was my first car and I was only 17 years of age.

You bring up a great point of carrying one in the car. Now that I read your post, I'm thinking of installing one in either the trunk or under the driver's seat, out of sight. Plus, you can always help out a fellow motorist with their fire if the need ever arose.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 01:53:34 am »

I have an Amerex Halotron.

http://www.amerex-fire.com/Literature/halotron.pdf

Kinda pricey, but its not all that expensive if you need to use it.  I wish I could buy a few more for the other vehicles.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sam K

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 02:09:31 am »

I've had a couple minor engine fires in my bug, but none that required an extinguisher. I did burn up a lot of my interior once, though.  A long time ago, I was welding up a quarter size rust hole in the left front wheel well in my bug and as near as I could tell, I set the seam sealant on fire where the wheel well meets the heater channel above the heater vent. I was under the fender, so I didn't know it was on fire for a few minutes. It ended up burning up the carpet as well as melting the fuse panel and the driver's door panel and it just barely got the driver's seat. Amazingly, it didn't hurt any of the paint or the EMPI steering wheel, but it did melt a photo of my girlfriend that was stuck in the front edge of the headliner. When I scooted out from under the fender and saw the smoke coming out from around the door (the window was up) I has to open the door and reach over the flames to get to the extinguisher hat was attached to the kick panel beneath the rear seat on the passneger's side of the car. I ended up replacing the entire interior because I could never get the smell out of the car. Ever since then, I keep extinguishers in every car.
stealth67vw

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:52:50 am »

Bates.

Boy, I'm never gonna live that one down am I?  Grin

I caught an air cleaner on fire trying to fire up my 1776, Engle W125, 44 IDF motor about 14 years ago. I'm not sure why I had the K&N air cleaners on at the time, but I did. Like an idiot I sprayed ether into the air cleaner and started cranking away. Like on every engine I build, the distributor drive was installed 180 out of index and the engine popped back through a barrel and caught the now soaked with ether K&N air cleaner on fire. No damage done that I remember. I just felt like a dumbass.  Embarrassed

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
mg

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:46 am »

Every car should have a hand held.
It's good to have in case your heat soaked car should ever stop on dry grass.
Headers/muffler heat can start a grass fire right under your car, good time to have a hand held.
But the best system for a car fire would be an on board Fire Suppression system.
In the last couple of years these along with HANs devices have become common at the amateur level.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FIRESYSAFFF
Could fit behind your rear seat and firewall. Smiley
wolfswest

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:00:21 am »

I have mine hidden away under the passenger site, you barely see it and it's safe.

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 19:07:41 pm »

Bates.

Boy, I'm never gonna live that one down am I?  Grin

I caught an air cleaner on fire trying to fire up my 1776, Engle W125, 44 IDF motor about 14 years ago. I'm not sure why I had the K&N air cleaners on at the time, but I did. Like an idiot I sprayed ether into the air cleaner and started cranking away. Like on every engine I build, the distributor drive was installed 180 out of index and the engine popped back through a barrel and caught the now soaked with ether K&N air cleaner on fire. No damage done that I remember. I just felt like a dumbass.  Embarrassed

never ever dude.  Grin BIG D goes towards flywheel...    Grin

you almost burned down the garage and all our laundry.

I will never forget the sound of that ether lighting off....  WHUPMF!!!!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 20:34:19 pm »

How could i get 2 Halon's over to here.....

Done ? Not Yet.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 21:39:32 pm »

I have/had an A,B,C one in the Car right behind the driver's seat. I also have two, one on each side, of the garage.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Peter

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:40:56 am »

Whumpf...
heey i recall that sound as well Smiley
Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 13:52:46 pm »

I've been thinking and when I eventually finish building PROJECT 66 I am going to install a full race car style system but nicely hidden away - I used to fit them in the Old ferarri's I used to work on.

There will be 2 handles/levers under the dash with cable routed to 2 hidden extinguishers under the rear seat - there will then be 3 nozzles - 2 aimed at the carbs and one aimed at the back of the dash area (wiring)

wolfswest

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 13:20:10 pm »

I've been thinking and when I eventually finish building PROJECT 66 I am going to install a full race car style system but nicely hidden away - I used to fit them in the Old ferarri's I used to work on.

wrenching on ferrari's...  Shocked  more info please Lee!  Grin

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 14:00:45 pm »

had a fire once when an oil line came off, now only use proper AN compression fittings, gave my self a hose-clip ban! carry a hand held fire extinguisher just in case Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Lee.C

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 14:12:46 pm »

wrenching on ferrari's...  Shocked  more info please Lee!  Grin

Check this link out: Smiley

http://www.dkeng.com/frames.php

mg

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 15:08:01 pm »

Very nice cars, you can install my system any day. Smiley
Did you install them on both the old and new Ferraris’?
I'd think some purists would balk at having something non original in the car.
Why no interior port?
Do the owners of these high end cars with expensive leather rather not risk damage from the fire suppressant material?

In a competition car I'd have a port pointed at the driver too.
The better driving suits only give you 20 seconds of fire protection.
That’s several seconds better than shorts and a t-shirt. Wink
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 15:10:29 pm by MG » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 15:34:44 pm »

Very nice cars, you can install my system any day. Smiley
Did you install them on both the old and new Ferraris’?
I'd think some purists would balk at having something non original in the car.
Why no interior port?
Do the owners of these high end cars with expensive leather rather not risk damage from the fire suppressant material?

In a competition car I'd have a port pointed at the driver too.
The better driving suits only give you 20 seconds of fire protection.
That’s several seconds better than shorts and a t-shirt. Wink

We only ever fitted them to the "Old/vintage" stuff - the best install I did was on a "pontoon nosed" 250 Tesstarossa Grin
These were the only cars that ever saw the track - The rules only said you needed the carbs/engine AND dash/wiring covered
I got pretty good at hidding these systems by the time I left  Wink Smiley Good Idea to cover the interior too.

Neil Davies

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 16:11:20 pm »

I've had experience of a few fires - first one was my Dad welding on a bug in the garage and set fire to the front of his overalls - he said he thought he could smell smoke but carried on as he knew it couldn't be carpets - we'd taken them out after the last fire... Cheesy 12" diameter hole in front of overalls!
Then was the time he set fire to the compressor - there was a fair build up of paint dust all over the motor, which was ignited by the angle grinder showering it with sparks!
And I managed to set fire to my race car, on its first outing in new paint, in the scrutineering area... Shocked Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 17:49:06 pm »

I have 2 in the car,one in the trunk and one on the passengerside,above the feet

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 19:58:44 pm »

had a fire once when an oil line came off, now only use proper AN compression fittings, gave my self a hose-clip ban! carry a hand held fire extinguisher just in case Grin
We had a little oil fire earlier in the year but I guess you couldn't run quick enough with your hand held Ben Grin  Bernie
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N7wFSyBG1Dg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/N7wFSyBG1Dg</a>
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 20:45:43 pm by Bernard Newbury » Logged

Before you jump, check the depth.
mg

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 06:00:37 am »

We had a little oil fire earlier in the year...  Bernie
Hope that was not too expensive.
Meanwhile the flaming locked motor has slung oil on the slicks as you clutch the motor through the lights at 115. Shocked
Then activate the on board fire sytem. Wink
Wild video Bernie.
mg

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 06:03:05 am »

I got pretty good at hidding these systems by the time I left  Wink Smiley Good Idea to cover the interior too.

Where did they hide the tank?
I'd have it behind the front axle line behind the crush line.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 09:00:19 am »

We had a little oil fire earlier in the year but I guess you couldn't run quick enough with your hand held Ben Grin  Bernie

It was a choice between the camera and the extinguisher, can't put an extinguisher on you tube! Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:46 am »

It was a choice between the camera and the extinguisher, can't put an extinguisher on you tube! Grin
Good reply. Ben!  Grin

You see, a journalist should never try to change the course of history – his job is simply to record events.   Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 17:47:08 pm »

For Keith.

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: