The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:05:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Influenced by Arty Farty Craftsmen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Influenced by Arty Farty Craftsmen  (Read 14697 times)
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« on: October 21, 2008, 22:19:00 pm »

Triggered by the Dave Deal message, I started thinking on what artists influenced me and maybe even got me into cars.

When I was 14 I was really into body-art (tattoos) and bought a lot of magazines on that. Around that time they started publishing the best magazine on tattoos ever: International Tattoo. In issue number 4 or something like that there was a feature on Robert Williams. I guess everybody knows the 'Appetite for destruction' of Guns 'n Roses cover? Well, that is by Robert Williams. A few years later I found a book on him in a local comic book store and that really got me going. One of his favourite topics is Hot Rods (close second to hot women) and it kindled my interest for cars (I was already interested in women before that). It really, really make me want a Ford Deuce Coupe.

Luckily, somehow I got sidetracked to Hot VW's. But still Mr. Williams is one of the men who steered me in the right direction. Thanks!

I know there are a lot of people on here who are interested in or even work on (car)Art, be it paintings, drawings, photograps, sculptures, toys, ... Who has been a big influence during your years of formation to maybe get you into cars?

Please post some examples !

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Torgeir Schibevaag
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 22:37:35 pm »

Great panting!!!
Have it on on one of my Vans...

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 22:51:08 pm »

Triggered by the Dave Deal message, I started thinking on what artists influenced me and maybe even got me into cars.

When I was 14 I was really into body-art (tattoos) and bought a lot of magazines on that. Around that time they started publishing the best magazine on tattoos ever: International Tattoo. In issue number 4 or something like that there was a feature on Robert Williams. I guess everybody knows the 'Appetite for destruction' of Guns 'n Roses cover? Well, that is by Robert Williams. A few years later I found a book on him in a local comic book store and that really got me going. One of his favourite topics is Hot Rods (close second to hot women) and it kindled my interest for cars (I was already interested in women before that). It really, really make me want a Ford Deuce Coupe.

Luckily, somehow I got sidetracked to Hot VW's. But still Mr. Williams is one of the men who steered me in the right direction. Thanks!

I know there are a lot of people on here who are interested in or even work on (car)Art, be it paintings, drawings, photograps, sculptures, toys, ... Who has been a big influence during your years of formation to maybe get you into cars?

Please post some examples !

Love Robert Williams, my brother got me an autographed print of that painting for my birthday. Robert published some of my brothers artwork in Juxtapose Magazine. Robert is truly a great talent

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Sam K

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:19 am »

When I was a kid, my Dad used buy me CARToons magazine and I always loved the artwork by George Trosley. He wrote the Krass & Bernie cartoons as well as a lot of other stuff including a lot of "How to draw cars" stuff. He's probably my favorite "car artist"
Just go to www.georgetrosley.com.

Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 06:54:17 am »

Great panting!!!
Have it on on one of my Vans...

My girlfriend bought me the same pair of Vans, I was looking for those for some time and she saw them during the sales somewhere. They are still in the box, stashed away untill I have the place and cabinets to display them  Huh Grin

Love Robert Williams, my brother got me an autographed print of that painting for my birthday. Robert published some of my brothers artwork in Juxtapose Magazine. Robert is truly a great talent

I used to buy every Juxtapoz when it was all about cars and hot women, must have read every single issue ten times. I think now it is getting a bit to arty, just the thing Robert Williams used to be so opposed to in his editorial when he was still doing them. I still buy it from time to time, but it doesn't scratch my itch anymore.

Still if your brother is good enough to be exposed in Juxtapoz, you shouldn't be afraid to showcase some of his art here !!

When I was a kid, my Dad used buy me CARToons magazine and I always loved the artwork by George Trosley. He wrote the Krass & Bernie cartoons as well as a lot of other stuff including a lot of "How to draw cars" stuff. He's probably my favorite "car artist"
Just go to www.georgetrosley.com.

See below  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:58:57 am by Dr. Jeckill » Logged

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 13:16:25 pm »

Cool Cool Cool Cool Topic!

I was influenced early on by Ed Roth and Pete Millar (Car Toons).  Every book cover I owned in high school had a Rat Fink drawn on it.  Some of the best car art I've laid eyes on over the years though, has been in The Rodders Journal magazine.  Here's one drawn by Chris Froggett... absolutely amazing!

DKP III
gibber!

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 20:06:27 pm »

Chris Froggett's work is fantastic...!
I kinda used his style a few years ago to do some work myself....

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 20:08:53 pm by gibber! » Logged

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 21:13:25 pm »

VERY COOL, Gibber!  Cool Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 22:32:42 pm »

The next one I had known about ever since I was little, seeing all sorts of illustrations by him on Belgian magazines. But only when I started school again to become an artist  Huh I really put it together and became a big fan of Ever Meulen. He's Belgian, but quite famous all over the world with exhibitions in e.g. New York. He's always been very much into old 50ties American cars and Zoot-suited fiends. Real nice.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Stephan S

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 02:00:29 am »

Cool topic. Man, I just wish I had drawing skills!
Sarge, I love Chris Froggett's art as well.
Oh, and I remember Ever Meulen's drawings, too!

As far as VW art, Pascal Meslet shows a lot of imagination (see http://www.mesletart.es.vg).
I'm also a big fan of Keith Weesner's stuff. This is a picture of one of my office's walls.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Stephan S

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 02:08:35 am »

This is a very cool book: http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_35893.ncm
Some fantastic stories, too!
I remember having this picture as a poster (from the magazine Nitro) on my bedroom wall, as a teenager.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 11:12:16 am »

How could I forget Pascal Meslet !!!

I bought his portfolio at the EBI2, I spent more money there on art then on parts.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 13:14:44 pm »

I was lucky to meet Ed Roth while working at the Auto Haus warehouse years ago.  For all the crazy stuff he did and the cars he built, he was a humble guy and always had the best stories to tell.  Better yet, he drove a VW! Cool Cool Cool Grin

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 13:51:52 pm »

Trosley, Deal, Meslet, all are at the top of my list as well.  Another favorite includes:

Peter Aschwanden, for all things black and white:  http://www.peteraschwanden.com/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 13:58:23 pm by javabug » Logged

Mike H.

Sven was right.
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 14:54:05 pm »

Trosley, Deal, Meslet, all are at the top of my list as well.  Another favorite includes:

Peter Aschwanden, for all things black and white:  http://www.peteraschwanden.com/

liking this one alot!

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 17:32:25 pm »

to me, some of the best VW culture and artwork comes from that book and Peter's work. VERY cool and funny!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 20:27:24 pm »

I agree, Jim.  I have a plain, white t-shirt with that artwork on it that I wear when I 'm in the right mood.  You can't say that pic isn't a bit of a self-portrait.  Maybe time to update the artwork with some IDAs and a c/w crank...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 20:43:09 pm »

I agree, Jim.  I have a plain, white t-shirt with that artwork on it that I wear when I 'm in the right mood.  You can't say that pic isn't a bit of a self-portrait.  Maybe time to update the artwork with some IDAs and a c/w crank...

I swear that is me at night too. Add Solex 40PII's lately... Sheep's junk.
Yeah we should get Rayburn crackin' on a high perf version T shirt.... 48's and all.

Or similar to the catoon of the guy changing the tire on the wheel in Idiot Book...  a guy trying to get wedgemate flywheel off!  Grin

Sarge

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 20:51:50 pm »

Roll Eyes  Grin

DKP III
67worshipper

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 21:01:18 pm »

is that your missus sarge? Wink what am i sayin!! its a cartoon Cheesy

vw hot rod heaven
Sarge

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 21:18:59 pm »

is that your missus sarge? Wink what am i sayin!! its a cartoon Cheesy

er, um........ Lips Sealed Wink

DKP III
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 22:03:40 pm »

The KARWOOD looks cool

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Sarge

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 22:26:14 pm »

Yeah, lots of detail in that left rear fender reflection.  Great artist!

DKP III
Stephan S

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 22:49:11 pm »

More here... http://streetvw.free.fr/dessins/pascal.meslet.htm

Der Kleiner Panzers
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 12:23:45 pm »

And how about Red Hot, the Japanese artist who's doing the covers for Street VW's. I had seen some stuff of him before, but really fell in love with his work when I saw the spread in the Bug In book. The one where some Baja Bugs are driving through the dunes/water, very Horimono styled.

See some of his work on http://redhotdrive.com

He was at EBI 2 this year, selling in the merchandising area. I bought 3 posters of him and had him sign our Bug In/Bugtour signs. Underneath is the poster I didn't buy. Maybe I should have, it is great.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Sarge

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 12:55:13 pm »

Very COOL website... thanks for sharing! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 16:32:01 pm »

Roll Eyes  Grin

remember this thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3385.msg45873.html#msg45873   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 19:07:19 pm »

I do Wink

DKP III
Stephan S

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 20:20:52 pm »

Gotta find a spot on a wall for this one...
Funny how Pascal Meslet used a Ghia to create his "Hirohata" VW leadslead (see above), while Redhot chose a Type 3!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Stephan S

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 20:48:19 pm »

Another talented artist: Tom Fritz

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: