The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 13:56:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Mofoco cylinder heads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mofoco cylinder heads  (Read 5198 times)
wph

« on: February 24, 2013, 17:12:02 pm »

Hi,

does anyone know a retailer for Mofoco cylinder heads (040,041,042 or 050) in Europe ?
I have been trying to find one but so far no luck.

Pekka

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 19:24:45 pm »

To my knowledge there are none.

Why do you want some of those ?

T
wph

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 19:43:56 pm »

Various sources claim that they are very good castings, precise(no core shifting) and exellent material.
Also larger intake flange, they might be a good starting point for a hand ported high performance head.

Pekka
richie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 19:56:43 pm »

From what I remember they had a really bad reputation,seats falling out,material too soft etc

Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
wph

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 20:38:28 pm »

From what I remember they had a really bad reputation,seats falling out,material too soft etc

Richie

They are made in a different foundry, mofoco did have those problems with their previous heads.
New castings are made in permanent molds, material is very dense and hard (told by those who have ported latest castings)
I'd like to get a set and see how they turn out to be, I really liked how they looked with their extra cooling fins. 

richie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 21:03:58 pm »

Good to know they have improved them Smiley

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 21:53:40 pm »

Richie

I actually had a set of those old heads that had those problems........apparently!
I wouldn't know coz I had such a good time ignoring head temps, over-revs into valve float and general abuse over 2 years and 40K km that I forgot to pull them off and make sure I still had all the seats attached.
Oops.

I guess if the new castings are as good as I have heard in terms of casting quality and density (and so much better than the old apparently crap ones), I'll probably have to blow them off a cliff with dynamite to put a crack in them........
 Cheesy
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 21:54:06 pm »

It is correct that the material is very dense. They are heavy as hell. About a pound heavier than a 040 head. Downside is that the material cool less than stock. Thatīs why they have / need the extra fins on the back side I guess.
Roy/Mofoco claims that the new castings they make are superior to other castings. But I have seen no other than "Rock krusher" on the Samba stand up for them. Also Mofoco seems to be rather reluctant to send a set out for testing by a third party, which makes me suspicius. If they are that good they would soon tilt the market in their direction. I too have offered to test them on a given set up against other brands, publish the data and return the heads afterwards, but was told that if I wanted a set I could by them. So either they do not believe that they are being treated fair or they know of or are affraid of a lesser than optimum outcome. To me it would be a cheap solution to make money to replace 30 year old machinery with new more efficient tools. But what do I know about business.

T
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 22:05:40 pm »

Gday Torben.
What material is the new head castings made from, do you know?
If they don't cool as well as stock, do you mean as well as German 311 heads, or Mex 043s, CB 044s?

Did CB give a set of heads to others for free testing when their 044s were new?
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 02:24:32 am »

Modnrod. I do not know the exact compound. I didīnt take a scaper sample when I had the chance.

No. CB didīnt give me a set, but I got a set for virtually nothing. I think it was 50 bucks. That was years ago, 10 maybe even 12.

The ones I compared with was stock 040 and 311 castings. The 043 is very close to the 311 casting.

T
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 02:40:17 am »

Thanks Torben.
I had heard the 043 had good cooling. It's important to consider cooling where I live!  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: