The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:28:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Porsche 356/912 "Pencil Stem" Lifters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Porsche 356/912 "Pencil Stem" Lifters?  (Read 5751 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: March 20, 2009, 18:26:52 pm »

Why don't more people use these? They always seemed like a great idea to me- approximately 30g lighter than a VW follower (combined that's over a half pound!), and .810" longer resulting in a shorter, lighter pushrod that deflects less. All that needs to be done is bush the lifter bores, which most performance engines have done, anyway. So what's the hold up?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Udo

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 19:17:51 pm »

I think the 40 gramms are no longer avaliable . the pressed in cups fall out .... . The others have 48 or something

Udo
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 19:21:59 pm by Udo » Logged

drgouk

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 19:26:20 pm »

Another thing to consider with a longer lifter is the greater pushrod angle, from the lifter to the rocker, which could mean increased lifter bore wear. just a thought.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 21:17:11 pm »

The one on the left is a genuine Porsche lifter out of a 1968 912, it weighed in at right around 70 grams. The new VW lifter on the right is about 97 grams. Why not use genuine Porsche lifters? Why do they have to be aftermarket 40 or 48 gram lifters?

It did occur to me the pushrod angle would be greater, but how much (if any) greater would it be than in a Porsche engine? It would offer more pushrod clearance at the head, as well.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 21:20:41 pm »

The one on the left is a genuine Porsche lifter out of a 1968 912, it weighed in at right around 70 grams. The new VW lifter on the right is about 97 grams. Why not use genuine Porsche lifters? Why do they have to be aftermarket 40 or 48 gram lifters?

It did occur to me the pushrod angle would be greater, but how much (if any) greater would it be than in a Porsche engine? It would offer more pushrod clearance at the head, as well.

is the radius on a 356 follower set up to track a VW lobe?
Sander/DVK

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 21:44:19 pm »

Do someone something more about these lifters? Brand? The only thing I know is that their weight is only 40 gram.
Sorry for the crappy pic.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 22:30:32 pm »

is the radius on a 356 follower set up to track a VW lobe?

Good question. If it isn't, couldn't the face be ground to track properly?

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 22:43:33 pm »

Do someone something more about these lifters? Brand? The only thing I know is that their weight is only 40 gram.

I have a set w/ the bushings installed in my mag case. I have heard there are issues with them though and plan to have the case rebushed and run the tool steel ones.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
richie

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 13:40:53 pm »

i only know one person who tried them and they werent successfull,after the first failed attempt,he then had them reground at SLR to mathc his VW grind web cam and they failed again

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Sander/DVK

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 14:04:18 pm »

I know enough.. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Udo

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 17:46:04 pm »

I have a set w/ the bushings installed in my mag case. I have heard there are issues with them though and plan to have the case rebushed and run the tool steel ones.

--louis

That's a good idea  Cheesy . I do the same when i get a customers engine with those big bushings

Udo

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 20:25:41 pm »

i only know one person who tried them and they werent successfull,after the first failed attempt,he then had them reground at SLR to mathc his VW grind web cam and they failed again

cheers richie

Cheers for the info, Richie Smiley Why did they fail??

richie

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 21:21:49 pm »

cheers richie

Cheers for the info, Richie Smiley Why did they fail??

We were never sure,the lifter face just didnt seem to stand up to well,it had a strange pattern on it after a very short time,not pitting,but the surface was very rough and the cam didnt like it Shocked

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: