The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 18:45:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350706 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Restoring the "Stuttgart Express"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Restoring the "Stuttgart Express"  (Read 112636 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:04 am »

cool bill , that's cool to see the car so close to the end ,and i hope teh car will be again in HOT VW'S but this time for a color report  Grin

Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Russell

« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2011, 09:18:40 am »

Amazing Bill, well done, you must be delighted with the final touchs being aplied, makes you feel you on the homeward strech now.

Next time im in Houston, will let you know would love a closer look, keep the thread going, its fantatstic.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
bill stipe

« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2011, 01:19:38 am »

I appreciate the kind words, guys.  Russell, just give me a little heads up.  I can be available pretty much, any time, as long as I'm in town.  Baytown is about 18-20 miles east of Houston; about a 25-30 minute car ride.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:39:12 am by bill stipe » Logged
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2011, 18:35:45 pm »

Good work Bill  Cool

bill stipe

« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2011, 06:11:22 am »

Thanks Nico.  Wow!, I can't believe it's been so long since the last posting.  Not a whole lot of work has been done, but we're still making progress.  As might be obvious, we didn't make the vintage race in San Antonio.

We have installed some studs in our rear drums.  They were countersunk on the inside, to keep them from rubbing the brake shoes; and they've received some black paint.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

We wanted to clean up the front shocks, but weren't really sure of painting them.  Let's face it, painted shocks look like painted shocks.  So after cleaning them up in the blasting cabinet, we covered them with a coat of clear.  Yes it's paint, but not really.  Our fuel line has also been installed from the front, near the tank, and attached it to the underside of the drivers side heater channel.
bill stipe

« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2011, 06:17:10 am »

We've now finished polishing our wheels.  I have to say, I hate rivets in wheels; very tedious work.  After this past weekend,  I gave up and decided they were good enough.

And here is a look at the inside of the rear wheels.

bill stipe

« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2011, 06:32:42 am »

For a few days now, we've been working on our IDA's.  These are some carbs that were used on my friends "super gas" race car, about 15 years ago, and have been sitting since then.  Our first order of business was to get them apart.

We replaced our glass beads in the blasting cabinet with soda.  That way, we could clean up the carbs and the media would be easy to remove from the internal passages.  This is the progress with one of the carbs blasted.

We've now completed both carbs and working to clean up the remaining parts.  This photo is from last week, as the carbs are now assembled.  We're waiting on a few pieces to complete the job.

Since we need to utilize center pull linkage, I'm on the look-out for some vintage stuff.  We have the center link, but need the threaded rods and the carb arms.  I have some of the newer pieces, but don't really want to use them. Soooooo, if anyone has some extra Treuhaft or Deano pieces, please PM.  Ok, maybe that's wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:44:33 am by bill stipe » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2011, 20:32:45 pm »

good work bill as usual ,........... centerlines Huh where 're the dds wheels Huh

bill stipe

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2011, 00:40:21 am »

I'm on the fence as to which wheels to use.  One week it's the Centerlines, the next week it's the Deano's.  We've finished the polishing of the Deano's, as well, and they may show up on the finished product. 

Now that you asked the question, the Deano's do have some history with this car, sort of.  David Crow used them on his A/MC car when he raced against the Stuttgart Express around '79 or '80.  The Express beat him back then and he told me, a few weeks ago, that since he still has the A/MC, he wants a re-match. 

Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2011, 20:03:27 pm »

...David Crow used them on his A/MC car when he raced against the Stuttgart Express around '79 or '80.  The Express beat him back then and he told me, a few weeks ago, that since he still has the A/MC, he wants a re-match.

Cool! While you're at it, see if you can talk Pappy Crow into re-painting "Right On" and the hand/extended thumb that used to adorn the doors of his '67 A/MC car, "Blackie"... Grin

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2011, 22:39:59 pm »

Looking good Bill!
I was hoping I might see you at the Texas Timing Assoc. runs last month  Undecided, oh well, still fun!

So, do we need to dig up the old A/MC rules to tech these cars before the runs? 2 out of 3???
LOL

Can't WAIT!!!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
bill stipe

« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2011, 23:14:29 pm »

You're so right Eric, I'd love for him to repaint that car the way it was.  Thanks for the photo you posted on here of the Sudden Impact.  It gave me hope that I might actually find the car.

Tom, it's good to hear from you.  We tried, but didn't get the car finished in time to make that event.  As to rules, I'm guessing neither of us would be teching anything.  Knowing David,  I'll need to build something better than the vintage motor.
bill stipe

« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2011, 18:03:11 pm »

We looked at different ways to secure our door windows and finally decided to put it back the way we found them.  Along the bottom of the window, screws were used to attach them to the doors, using the existing holes.

Rubber hose was shoved into the channels at the front and back of each window.  At the lower front, a piece of aluminum angle was used to hold the window against the outer door skin.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 18:20:46 pm by bill stipe » Logged
bill stipe

« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2011, 18:05:27 pm »

Getting these windows secured, we were now able to mount the door panels.  Originally just plain aluminum, the Stuttgart team had glued vinyl to the panels, believed to be just before the '80 AHRA Nationals;  no stiching, just plain black vinyl.  We found evidence that the original panels were secured by upholstery washers and screws.  This was confirmed by Lee Williams.

You might notice the gap on the "b" pillar about the same height as the head rest.  The top chop looks pretty decent from the outside, but the crew left quite a few blemishes on the inside.  Even though Pablo had wanted to weld these up during the body prep work, we asked that they be left as they were.  

With this done, the interior is now complete.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 20:11:53 pm by bill stipe » Logged
bill stipe

« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2011, 20:25:01 pm »

The tires were mounted this weekend.  After installing some new bearings in the front wheels, we decided to give them a trial fit.  They haven't received the wheel bearing nuts as of yet, waiting until after we get the one piece front end situated.  Just one more step in making this thing a "roller".

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2011, 21:43:26 pm »

cool ,cool and cool bill  Wink

bill stipe

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2011, 04:39:43 am »

Thanks.  I have lots of admiration for you guys who can go through a build that takes years.  We've been at the restoration for about 17 months and our interest has gone through several peaks and valleys.  Lately, the excitement level has gone up quite a bit.  

Biggg came over this weekend and we went about getting our front end situated on the gasser.  I have to say, we're beginning to see a car evolve out of all this mess.  Fitting the front end was fairly simple;  it's been there before and only needed a few tweeks, here and there.  Biggg was messing with one of the flanged Dzus buttons, so I took the opportunity to get him in the pic.

The front end slides over two hood pins at the lower front of the car, with flanged Dzus buttons on the lower edges at the back of each fender and a single button in the middle of the hood area.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 23:23:19 pm by bill stipe » Logged
bill stipe

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2011, 04:50:35 am »

After getting to a stopping point on the one piece front end, we moved to the rear and mounted our rear apron.  The line up of the body lines needs a little adjusting to be done.  This is a temporary apron, if you remember the earlier story about the Stuttgarts apron and it's unique look.  Our other apron is over at Pablos shop, awaiting for us to finish the rest of the car, so it can get a fitting before paint.

In the next picture, you may see the rear lights are fitted and we have started the fab of the rear T-bar.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:54:26 am by bill stipe » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2011, 16:18:55 pm »

Keep the hope bill, the end of the project is not very far any more  Wink

Biggg

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2011, 18:14:43 pm »

Since I'm Helping Bill with his restoration on the "Stuttgart Express", I want to throw out there that this past weekend we came to the conclusion that the Deano wheels are a must on the rear of the "Stuttgart". Bill is trying very hard to keep this resto period perfect which is sometimes difficult. I just want to thank Bill for his dedication and his faithfull VW devotion. Bill is a "Bug Nut". He hasn't mentioned his past endevors-multiple dirt vw stock cars, his speedster drag car with which he was super gas champion, or the last race car, which was an asphalt oval Beetle that was quite tricked out. Bill is a humble Bug Nut and I am proud to be his friend and also to be able to assist him on his Beetle projects.              Biggg
racinbug53

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2011, 07:26:01 am »

I want to chime in and say I too cannot believe the drive Bill Stipe has when it comes to VW's, about the time I get burned out on building my own cars,he calls and renews my energy and interest in putting my own VW's together,he is tireless and is a " true " dyed in the dirt VW lover, I hope that someone takes notice of the time,effort,and money he has put into this project " The Stuttgart Express" and I hope it to graces the cover of Hot VW's magazine like it did back in the 70's, I just got the new issue with the three gassers on the cover,heck he won his first dirt track race in a VW bug the year I was born 1967 ( sorry Bill, had to giv'em that fact !!!! )............Long live the Texas Rocket, " The Stuttgart Express"..........
bill stipe

« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2011, 05:20:22 am »

Wow!  No secrets with these guys.  Biggg and Randy are super nice guys and two very dear friends.  I'll post up on my past oval track racing when I get time to scan some photos.

We received a package in the mail late last week.  Our heads and manifolds returned from VW Paradise and are already at the engine builder.  Kris Lauffer welded up the combustion chambers and machined them for our NPR 92's.  After he welded up the intakes, Mark Tremblay performed the match porting.  

With the fitting of the one piece front end, we installed the tires.  That's our Mitchell's on the front and as Biggg stated, the Deano's were nominated for the rears.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:22:28 am by bill stipe » Logged
esabataj

« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2011, 18:25:01 pm »

Bill
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Richard Wallesch and I'm located in the San Antonio area. Your thread on the resto of Glen's VW is like a trip down memory lane for me. I  worked on and campaigned several of the old VW gassers back in the late 70s-early 80s and have many memorys of Glen and the Express hi-lighted at the first Bug-In at Alamo Dragway. Pat helped put it on and i was fortunate to run the Express twice that Saturday night. Once in a bye run that they paired us together and then in  king of the hill eliminations later in the night. I was blessed to win both, but not for lack of trying for Glen and his crew. The list of bugs there that night was who's who in Texas bug Racing. Glens's car, David with Right on, A young guy by the name of Tony with a Cali car called Saturday Night Fever just to name a few. I was  able to make the final with my car (Devils Delight. 58 chopped Bug. 2234 CC) Paired up with David. I lost low gear on the burnout. Launched in Second and needless to say David put me on the trailer. I've been wondering what ever happened to my old car lately and your thread has made me want to try and find the old car. So the search will begin. I don't know whether to thank you or shoot ya. Time will tell. LOL

This is a list of cars that I worked on or drove during that time frame:

Gotcha
Gotcha Too
Gotcha Again
All owned by Wayne Barrett The Buggy Shop Killeen, TX

Velvet Touch
Owned by Chief Stroud San Antonio, Tx, originally out of Florida

Senior Bicho
Owned by Curly Brehm, High Performance Mfg. and Dist. San Antonio, Tx. A one piece fiberglass body AHRA Bug

Devils Delight
Owned and built by me.1420 lb with me in it. 84mm Scat flange X 92mm (Sort of) 6" Scat Chevy jornal rods.  Heads were a set of Pat's prototypes redone by Johnny Bridges with angle port exhaust. Will have to tell you about those someday.
 Best # 11:21 119.6 mph. Ran at Little River Dragstrip in 1981.

Would love to visit with you sometime. I''m in the Houston area twice a month. Shoot me a pm with your contact info if you want to get together.

Looking forward to the rest of this thread and thanks for the visit down memory lane.

Richard
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2011, 20:05:48 pm »

here's the saturday night fever  Wink i've a color picture but don't fund this one ,will post when i will find it
 Wink
fabs

bill stipe

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2011, 22:29:19 pm »

I've been wondering what ever happened to my old car lately and your thread has made me want to try and find the old car. So the search will begin. I don't know whether to thank you or shoot ya. Time will tell. LOL

Richard, thanks for the posting.  Besides David, you're one of the few I've had contact with that was around back then. 

If you find it and don't want to restore it, send it my way.  I'm already thinking on to my next project and you get to save your bullets, also easier on my health!

PM on the way.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2011, 14:45:45 pm »

Looking forward to the rest of this thread and thanks for the visit down memory lane.

Richard

Welcome to The Lounge Richard  Wink
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 14:47:49 pm by Nico86 » Logged

bill stipe

« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2011, 06:02:08 am »

This weekend, we installed the rear deck lid and the pins.  Also in the pic, you can see the battery on/off switch.

We also we took the Stuttgart off the jack stands.  Without the engine installed, it's sitting a little high in the rear, but we wanted to put it on the ground to measure for fabrication of our wheelie bars.  You guys may remember the original rear shock mounts were modified, so we also measured between the mounting points, to search for some suitable shocks.  

I guess we can call it a "roller" now.

Here's Brian standing beside the Stuttgart.  It helps give some perspective to the photo.

On the engine front, Les Fryar is working on our motor.  He's at the point of getting the pushrods cut to length and having eyebrows cut in the pistons, for valve clearance.  He ran into a little problem getting the installed valve heights where he wants them, but looks like he's now got it covered and the final engine build should be taking place next week.  He promised photos of the engine as it's being assembled.
bill stipe

« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2012, 05:29:50 am »

Richard made the trip to Baytown.  He remembered quite a bit about the Stuttgart and we visited for about two hours.  Away from VWs for about 30 years, he left our place and promptly bought a VW drag car the next day.  We have discussed trying to get a group together to do some gasser type VW racing around Texas.  Hopefully, we can get something going later in 2012.

I decided to see if I could find his old car and got extremely lucky.  Two days later, I found out where the car is located and the name of the current owner.  That'll be a future story, maybe, if we can somehow get the owner to turn loose of it.

bill stipe

« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2012, 05:51:39 am »

Les is starting to make some progress on our engine.  He has received the pistons back from the machine shop and has hand massaged the eyebrows.  These 30 year old pistons are starting to look fairly decent.

With our rods being porsche length, the rod caps were rubbing on the opposing piston wrist pin bosses, so he radiused the rod caps on our connecting rods.

This thing has been together and apart about three times, but it's now ready for the final assembly.

The short block is now together, and he was going to install the pistons and cylinders, but our new rings are not giving us the end gaps we want.  We'll get some more this next week and see if we can make some noise by the weekend.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:12:23 am by bill stipe » Logged
Fiatdude

« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2012, 07:49:07 am »

Everything is looking great Bill ----- I think sometimes you are a trouble maker, getting these old guys back into VW's LOL

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: