The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:11:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  Wanted
| | |-+  WANTED: x2 NOS Weber 48 IDA's Preferable BOXED! Price: u tell me £$£$£$£
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: WANTED: x2 NOS Weber 48 IDA's Preferable BOXED! Price: u tell me £$£$£$£  (Read 37433 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: November 13, 2011, 16:27:01 pm »

Well as the title says guys - I am looking for a set/pair/x2 ITALIAN NOS Weber 48 IDA's, Preferable BOXED - I know this is a bit of a long shot but I know there are a few sets still out there Wink I did see a pair at a swap meet in the UK a few years back but I was not in a position to buy them at the time Sad

So let me know what you got guys PLEASE, I have CASH waiting for the RIGHT deal, feel free to email some pic's to either:

monki772003@yahoo.co.uk OR lee_cooksey@yahoo.co.uk OR just drop me a PM

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 16:46:22 pm »

talking about those one lee  Wink 1300£ a that time  Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lee.C

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 17:16:14 pm »

yep thats them  Sad

Anyone know who brought them Huh

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 20:14:34 pm »

nigel hurst!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Lee.C

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:06:32 am »

might have to drop him a line Smiley

OC1967vw

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:14:53 am »

good pictures of an original serial numbered Weber 48IDA carburetor set.

These pictured are the original WEBER 48IDA carburetors and not the later mass produced Italian or Spanish versions. These were made to order once Carroll Shelby used them on both the small block Mustang GT 350s and the Cobra 427 S/Cs. Each carburetor was hand made (not mass produced) and for competition purposes. Easy to tell these originals apart since these originals do not have the triangular boss on the sides of each barrel that was later added to the mass produced Italian and Spanish models. Originally produced in 1964 for the Porsche 904, they were called the 46 IDA. Shelby had a production run done for the Cobra project then underway but opened up to 48mm hence the 48 IDA. BAP/GEON was the US Importer/Distributor for these at the time. Unlike the later Spanish sets, these do not have the third progression hole drilled-there was no need since these were designed to be used on V8 motors.

There was an NOS set for sale in Oregon on the samba about 2 years ago in the original boxes for $3000 USD. Another set used for $2500 USD on the samba about the same time.

You might inquire from the people on the WEBER 48 IDA page on Facebook.

I have a collection of sets of these but they are at Cobra enthusiast pricing. These are all restored. I also have the original 48IDA tools and the original production and parts/tuning sheets.

Used unrestored sets go for between $1500-$2000. Restored sets go for $3000.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 17:08:06 pm by ocvw67 » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:39:40 am »

good pictures of an original serial numbered Weber 48IDA carburetor set.

These pictured are the original WEBER 48IDA carburetors and not the later mass produced Italian or Spanish versions. These were made to order once Carroll Shelby used them on both the small block Mustang GT 350s and the Cobra 427 S/Cs. Each carburetor was hand made (not mass produced) and for competition purposes. Easy to tell these originals apart since these originals do not have the triangular boss on the sides of each barrel that was later added to the mass produced Italian and Spanish models. Originally produced in 1964 for the Porsche 904, they were called the 46 IDA. Shelby had a production run done for the Cobra project then underway but opened up to 48mm hence the 48iDA. BAP/GEON was the US Importer/Distributor for these at the time. Unlike the later Spanish sets, these do not have the third progression hole drilled-there was no need since these were designed to be used on V8 motors.

There was an NOS set for sale in Oregon on the samba about 2 years ago in the original boxes for $3000 USD. Another set used for $2500 USD on the samba about the same time.

You might inquire from the people on the WEBER 48IDA page on Facebook.

I have a collection of sets of these but they are at Cobra enthusiast pricing. These are all restored. I also have the original 48IDA tools and the original production and parts/tuning sheets.

Used unrestored sets go for between $1500-$2000. Restored sets go for $3000.

Thanks for the history leasson- I have heard most of this before, not sure how much is true but its very interesting BUT it doesn't really get me any closer to a NOS/boxed set/pair  Undecided

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 16:49:36 pm »

lee, check this link , if i remember those came frm david mayes collection and where for sale  , but don't remember if they were sale  Wink there's also the linkage and the manifolds
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 16:59:28 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
OC1967vw

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 16:59:40 pm »

lee, check this link , if i remember those came frm david mayes collection and where for sale  , but don't remember if they were sale  Wink

Listed on the Samba by the seller (a friend of mine) in Oregon.  No longer available as they were sold.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 17:06:08 pm by ocvw67 » Logged
OC1967vw

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 17:35:04 pm »

Good luck in your search.

As for the history, that has been fairly well documented by many.

I just recently acquired an unrestored serial numbered set (I have several sets) from Florida (used). I plan to restore these to NOS condition in 2012. Restoration will be to Pebble Beach standards and priced accordingly.  They are coveted by Mustang and Cobra enthusiasts.

These were made for the American market and designed for use on US V8s. Hence if you find a set, most likely they will be here in US (assuming that you are located here in the USA). Although Weber does not exist as an independent company (it was acquired by Magnetti Marelli years ago), it does exist as a division of FIAT Spa in Italy. I would write to them.

Parts numbers changed during the period 1964 through 1980. Current mass produced 48 IDAs use the same parts design but with different parts numbers. The current 48 IDAs, although made in Spain, do have the 3rd progression hole drilled. Probably a better deal for you if you have budget concerns.

Again, best of luck in your search.
OC1967vw

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 01:08:07 am »

monkiboy,

check this ebay ad. they are an example of what original 48 IDAs (a set) are like out there. These will have to be completely gone through by the buyer.

Ebay ad # 190595894500

though the auction is closed, they got a very good deal on these.

Their history is interesting as well since these were  mounted on a Porsche 912.

What people dont realize in the history of these carburetors is that 48 IDAs  were a strictly competition carburetor to be used on a big block Ford or Chevrolet engine. Initially the Ford GT 40 and early Cobra cars used huge twin Holley competition 4 barrels. Shelby switched to these once they were being made for him in 1965. These were never envisioned to be used on the street. Dean Lowrey then bolted a pair to a set of custom made manifolds and to the Inch Pincher and history was made.

My early catalogs for Weber products gave wholesale pricing for all types of Weber carburetors, parts, and Weber tools. The 48 IDAs, although listed, did not have a wholesale price but were listed as special order only. The customer paid the price quoted at the time of the order.

Carsten

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 15:24:58 pm »

Is a good idea , if it is your plan , to use somehow very old carbs on a car/engine for what they are inteded to ? Mix air and fuel and make such a nice sound ;-) . I think it is not....
Do you have a special reason why you are looking for them ?
You just made me interested  Grin.
Greets , Carsten

1969 IRS bug
Lee.C

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 23:19:27 pm »

Yep I am going to USE them if I ever find a pair - They will be fitted to my "old Skool" 2180cc SPG motor once its built  Smiley

I just think it the only way to GARRENTTE that they are PERFECT and don't have worn bearings, twisted sharfts, etc etc etc etc  Roll Eyes Grin

OC1967vw

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 00:01:41 am »

I purchased my first set in 1970. I have collected them over the years and have 7 sets of the original serial numbered Weber 48IDAs. All of mine have been purchased in the states.

In my WEBER collection, I have the build sheet for the 46IDA/46IDA2/48IDA/48IDA1/48IDA3/48IDA4. The last number was the production run for these classic carburetors. These are dated 1964.

I have the WEBER 48IDA tools used for tuning and rebuilding but not the specific tools for the 46IDA.
I have the WEBER books from 1971 as well as the parts/tunings books for the WEBER carburetors from  1971 1977 1982.

Both of these carburetors were made for competition only.
The 46IDA was made for the 1964 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS designed by Butzi Porsche and raced by the factory and its special customers.
The 48IDA-8v (for 8 cylinder) was made for the American competition market. They were made for the Ford 289 and 427 motors at the request of Carroll Shelby in 1963 for his Cobra program that he started in 1962.

Several years ago I traveled to the Monterey Historics as they were celebrating Jim Hall and his classic Chapparral race cars. Jim Hall and his son and his team brought all of the classic Chapparral race cars (INDY, TransAM, CanAM, and LeMans) up from Texas were they are in his Museum. He has never sold any of the team race cars and maintains them to this day. Several of the classic CanAM cars were equipped with big block experimental 427 engines. These were topped with original serial numbered 48IDA carburetors in a layout similiar to what Shelby did with the Cobra. It was a fun day when they took them out and raced them. Vic Elford drove the famous Chapparral fan suction car as well.

Widely sought after by big block Ford and Chevrolet fans of that era, you can still find manifolds for both engines designed for the 48IDA.

Should you be successful in your search, you must realize that a 45 year old+ carburetor will need to be completed taken apart and rebuilt. Very few specialize in that effort because of the complexities of taking these carburetors apart without damaging the parts. Hope you find success in your search and purchase   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 00:13:33 am by OC1967vw » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 18:30:24 pm »

I purchased my first set in 1970. I have collected them over the years and have 7 sets of the original serial numbered Weber 48IDAs. All of mine have been purchased in the states.

In my WEBER collection, I have the build sheet for the 46IDA/46IDA2/48IDA/48IDA1/48IDA3/48IDA4. The last number was the production run for these classic carburetors. These are dated 1964.

I have the WEBER 48IDA tools used for tuning and rebuilding but not the specific tools for the 46IDA.
I have the WEBER books from 1971 as well as the parts/tunings books for the WEBER carburetors from  1971 1977 1982.

The 46IDA was made for the 1964 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS designed by Butzi Porsche and raced by the factory and its special customers.
The 48IDA-8v (for 8 cylinder) was made for the American competition market. They were made for the Ford 289 and 427 motors at the request of Carroll Shelby in 1963 for his Cobra program that he started in 1962.

Several years ago I traveled to the Monterey Historics as they were celebrating Jim Hall and his classic Chapparral race cars. Jim Hall and his son and his team brought all of the classic Chapparral race cars (INDY, TransAM, CanAM, and LeMans) up from Texas were they are in his Museum. He has never sold any of the team race cars and maintains them to this day. Several of the classic CanAM cars were equipped with big block experimental 427 engines. These were topped with original serial numbered 48IDA carburetors in a layout similiar to what Shelby did with the Cobra. It was a fun day when they took them out and raced them. Vic Elford drove the famous Chapparral fan suction car as well.

Widely sought after by big block Ford and Chevrolet fans of that era, you can still find manifolds for both engines designed for the 48IDA.

Should you be successful in your search, you must realize that a 45 year old+ carburetor will need to be completed taken apart and rebuilt. Very few specialize in that effort because of the complexities of taking these carburetors apart without damaging the parts. Hope you find success in your search and purchase   

Dude please give it a rest with all the "IDA History" we are ALL well aware of the history/useage/complexness (or lack of it!) and a NOS boxed carb WILL NOT need to be "rebuilt" Thats the point of buying a NOS item!

now please can we get back to VW's  Wink

OC1967vw

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 18:56:26 pm »

Dude please give it a rest with all the "IDA History" we are ALL well aware of the history/useage/complexness (or lack of it!) and a NOS boxed carb WILL NOT need to be "rebuilt" Thats the point of buying a NOS item!

now please can we get back to VW's  Wink

You certainly are entitled to your opinions. If you believe that a 45+years old NOS carburetor (of which you have no history about how it was stored or even better, maintained) will not need to be rebuilt, that certainly is your right and reason. As I have said, good hunting in your search. Meanwhile I am looking at my 14 carburetors.
Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 21:20:14 pm »

Great now please Re-read the title of this thread:

WANTED: x2 NOS Weber 48 IDA's Preferable BOXED! Price: u tell me £$£$£$£

OC1967vw

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 17:12:49 pm »

Like I said above, good luck in your search for NOS early 48IDAs
RobtheManx

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 18:33:06 pm »

This is a brilliant thread , informative ( about IDA's ) and entertaining ( watching monkeyboy getting all wound Up ha ha )

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 20:44:52 pm »

This is a brilliant thread , informative ( about IDA's ) and entertaining ( watching monkeyboy getting all wound Up ha ha )

yeah yeah yeah  Wink

Lee.C

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 00:52:54 am »

Like I said above, good luck in your search for NOS early 48IDAs

PM sent  Smiley

Russell

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 21:00:13 pm »

I have a NOS set and are boxed and are Perfect, and they fit and suit VW's far better than any American car.....

Lee, make me an offer and it will have to be £££££££ and not USD.... Oh an a lot, also will want cash up front.

Best Regards

Russell
Lee.C

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 00:24:55 am »

I have a NOS set and are boxed and are Perfect, and they fit and suit VW's far better than any American car.....

Lee, make me an offer and it will have to be £££££££ and not USD.... Oh an a lot, also will want cash up front.

PM sent/sending Wink

OC1967vw

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 00:41:49 am »

48- ida's
« Sent to: OC1967vw on: December 01, 2011, 23:43:29 PM »      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey   Sorry if I sounded a little "off" in my posts but we have been starting to get a few idiots here on the lounge and I sometimes get a little protective hehehehe it was me and a few Norwegian friends that really got this forum going - So once again Sorry  

Anyway back to the IDA's - I have been checking out some pic's and I never noticed that triangle boss before - Funny   They look so much cooler without it  

Now for the BIG question: What sort of money do these carbs go for? AND would you ever be willing to part with a pair/sell me a pair?

Check out some of the parts I already have for a 66 Cal Looker I am going to build VERY soon  
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,8725.0.html

Anyway I hope to hear from you soon
Take Care
Regards
Lee aka monkiboy

not a problem. You should realize that the original 48IDA carburetors (as in the David Mayes ones in the pictures above sold by an Oregon friend of mine) were sand castings made in Bologna.  Given consumer demand in later years, Fiat Spa/Weber switched from a sand casting manufacturing process to a stamped carburetor that was then finish machined to a high state. The stamped carburetor has a stronger body as the cast body may crack (very much like sand cast BRM Wheels-see Ultimate Factories-Ferrari for a video on their sand casting process which is not unlike what was done for the early 48IDAs). These were mass produced to meet market demand (much of it driven by VW enthusiasts over the years) and much of what is used by VW enthusiasts are these stamped second generation Italian and Spanish carburetors with the production run numbers stamped into the flange base as opposed to serial numbers. There are other noticeable differences between the original sand cast 48IDAs from the mass produced stamped 48IDAs.

As to cost I deal with the American market.  If you were to find NOS sand cast 48s in the box in Europe they most likely were brought in by an enthusiast/enthusiasts sometime in the last 45+ years from the US as these carburetors were not available in Europe and would be pricey no doubt. You must remember that the sand cast 48iDAs were strictly a competition only carburetor and not designed for long life or long term street use as other Weber carburetors. Given the current state of the European economy and exchange rates to the dollar, it is hard to say.  As to selling mine they are not for sale. Sorry. Mine are for my VW motors and some Cobra friends. Again, good luck in your search and on your project motor.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:37:25 am by OC1967vw » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 00:55:56 am »

Cool Thanks again for the info - but whats the difference between "sand cast" and "sand CU"  Huh

OC1967vw

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 01:16:50 am »

Cool Thanks again for the info - but whats the difference between "sand cast" and "sand CU"  Huh

sorry-typo
Lee.C

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 01:33:15 am »

VERY interesting - Thanks dude  Smiley

OC1967vw

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 01:44:32 am »

Although your understanding of 48IDA history and design may be in question, good luck in your proposed sale to Lee (monkiboy?)

Monkiboy, it seems as if you have found an NOS set in the box. All you need to do is verify that these carbs are what you are searching for your project motor. I have received emails for used sets for Euro 1400 as a bench mark without any restoration work done.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:51:16 am by OC1967vw » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 20:43:37 pm »

Although your understanding of 48IDA history and design may be in question, good luck in your proposed sale to Lee (monkiboy?)

Monkiboy, it seems as if you have found an NOS set in the box. All you need to do is verify that these carbs are what you are searching for your project motor. I have received emails for used sets for Euro 1400 as a bench mark without any restoration work done.

Yeah I got that email too  Wink All I am going to say about that set/pair is that the owner is always VERY optimistic with his prices  Wink

And you don't have to worry as the guys at the "Gasser Garage" know exactly what i am looking for  Grin

And by the way while I am here - Russell - are your pair EXACTLY the saame as the ones pictured above Huh ie the "Early type" Huh

Russell

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 23:52:16 pm »

[/quote]

My understanding of the 48IDA history is not in question, your understanding of the written word maybe..... what i said was that they suit and look better on a VW engine, that is a preference not a fact, i realise they weren't designed for the VW but they do look and sound fantastic on a 4 cylinder VW.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: