The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 20:04:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350701 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Shakey Jake "doodles"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shakey Jake "doodles"  (Read 10417 times)

« on: February 09, 2010, 20:10:58 pm »

I recently bought "Shakey Jake Babbit's" collection of Hot VWs magazines.
While going through them, I have been finding artwork and "doodles" between the pages !
Some are of customs he built and I believe some were ideas he had planned for the future.
Here are a few of them !
 Smiley
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 20:18:41 pm »

That's some pretty cool stuff you got there Richard.  Any more?

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
johnl

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 20:59:38 pm »

I recently bought "Shakey Jake Babbit's" collection of Hot VWs magazines.
While going through them, I have been finding artwork and "doodles" between the pages !
Some are of customs he built and I believe some were ideas he had planned for the future.
Here are a few of them !
 Smiley

Below is a shot of the finished product.  This was taken at the Bug-In, but the car also was displayed inside the Auto Haus Costa Mesa Store.  Chuck (Shakey) was a regular customer and a very nice guy. 

He did some striping on my Butternut car inside that store as well.  It was just one shade off the paint color and you really had to look to see it.  Another one of the good guys that has left us.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:40:12 am »

Ya know I remember seeing Shaky Jake's car at Bug in. in the late 70's early 80's...but never knew much about him...?...How about a Little History about him ?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
johnl

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 17:14:28 pm »

Ya know I remember seeing Shaky Jake's car at Bug in. in the late 70's early 80's...but never knew much about him...?...How about a Little History about him ?

I don't know a bunch about the man except he was a local fireman, possibly Costa Mesa, and was injured I think from a fall.  Guess he had always had the pin striping talent, but once he was out of the fireman position he took on the "brush" full time.

As stated prior, Shakey came into the Auto Haus Costa Mesa store regularly.  He was a very easy going guy and always a pleasure to deal with. 

He passed away at a rather young age, I'm guessing late 40's or early 50's of cancer.  Wonder what ever happened to his car??

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 18:28:42 pm »

It must of been at least 20 years ago that bret banker from billet bug products and bob and I did a flamed fiberglass marlin fish and gave it to shakey jake when he was sick from cancer.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
johnl

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 20:17:45 pm »

Here is a site I found which has photos and some background on Shakey Jake, AKA  Chuck Babbit.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/trickyricky1947/vehicles/52362

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 20:23:05 pm »

Cool!

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 20:39:37 pm »

John......Thank you for the info ..!......I never knew he was as well known as he was ..!...Thanks for sharing your info !

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
johnl

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 20:48:43 pm »

John......Thank you for the info ..!......I never knew he was as well known as he was ..!...Thanks for sharing your info !

You are most welcome..  Smiley Smiley Smiley  Always remember, "Life is a learning experience and then you die", so with that said enjoy it while you have it.   Wink Wink

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:36:22 am »

John ...Very well put ....!!!

nlvtinman

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 13:38:06 pm »

As to John L question "What happened to the car?" 
It's be quite a few years ago, but a friend of mine was having his business van lettered, and needed a ride to go get it.
I took him over to get it, and in chatting with the owner, I spied, in the back of his business this very car!   Should I say WOW!!
Of course, when I told him that I knew it had been Chuck Babbitt's car, he asked me how I knew that name?
Oh, so vague is my knowledge of "Shakey", I told him about my passion for VW's , mostly that we both were early in the Vintage VW scene.
Turns out that he had been Shakeys best man at his wedding, and a long long time friend.
After his passing, he ended up with the '70. I asked him if he'd ever think of parting with the car? He said it held too many associated memories of He and Chuck to ever want to let it go.
A couple years ago, I drove by to see if the guy was still in business. His shop was gone.  So it's still out there...but where?
kingsburgphil

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 14:31:14 pm »

Cry Cry Cry Sad 
deano

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 15:38:56 pm »

There's an old story floating about about Shakey. He used to pinstripe cars, new and used on the lot for dealerships, and yes, many/most were VWs. Well, he used to get $75 per car to stripe one. He made a killing with this deal, as he could bang out a VW Bug in no time! So, one day, the sales manager happened to watch Shakey go through a line of used VW Bugs in about an hour, and all of a sudden, realized he was paying this guy $75 per car! And that was a ton of money back then. The manager complained about the pricing, and Shakey just nodded his head and handed this guy the brush and suggested he do it!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
kingsburgphil

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 16:14:03 pm »

There's an old story floating about about Shakey. He used to pinstripe cars, new and used on the lot for dealerships, and yes, many/most were VWs. Well, he used to get $75 per car to stripe one. He made a killing with this deal, as he could bang out a VW Bug in no time! So, one day, the sales manager happened to watch Shakey go through a line of used VW Bugs in about an hour, and all of a sudden, realized he was paying this guy $75 per car! And that was a ton of money back then. The manager complained about the pricing, and Shakey just nodded his head and handed this guy the brush and suggested he do it!

I suspect that was at Chick Iverson VW Porsche in Newport Beach, when Shakey used the hood of his car as a palette.  Cheesy
johnl

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 16:55:46 pm »

I suspect that was at Chick Iverson VW Porsche in Newport Beach, when Shakey used the hood of his car as a palette.  Cheesy

I believe Shakey also did work for Don Burns VW on Harbor Blvd. in Garden Grove.  Possibly the Porsched dealership next door as well.

kingsburgphil

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 06:29:39 am »

A couple of my memories of Shakey Jake.

Pinstriping a line down the side of a VW bus....at a walking pace !

At his memorial service, the Who's Who of So Cal custom painters and pinstripers came to pay their respects. I recall Ed Roth being there and realizing
I had only seen the tip of the iceberg and now he was gone. That profound sense of loss has remained with me to this day.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: