The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 19:11:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350700 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  That elusive part !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: That elusive part !  (Read 5973 times)

« on: March 29, 2007, 21:19:05 pm »

I'm sure everyone has that one part they have been searching for to complete a project and can't seem to find.
Let's hear some of your stories !
 Grin
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 23:12:40 pm »

ell as you may know I am a bit of a Race Trim Pervert  Grin and I have some really cool bits but I always wanted a Race Trim centermount manifold to replace the DDS one I am currently running - they are exactly the same apart from the logo anyway I looked for almost 2 years, I asked all the usual suspects (read Kobus and some other US vintage  perverts Wink)but no one had even heard of one which didn't give me much hope  Sad Then about 6 months ago I was put in touch with a guy via Dave Mayes in the US who aparrently had some really cool bits and pieces going up for sale including some Race Trim manifolds  Smiley anyway they turned out to be a set for twin carbs BUT after several emails back and forth (read ranting on about cool old skool parts and sending pics of our rides  Smiley) it turned out he did have some other parts stashed away that he hadn't intending on selling  Shocked and guess what - Not only did he have  the manifold I was looking for he also had the matching dual port end castings  Shocked and just to top things off he had a REALLY COOL Race Trim Air box for my carb so I could mount a 2 stage off road airfilter  Grin Grin Grin I am going to fit all these bits for EBI so look out for them guys  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
larry mck

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:35:34 am »

Back in the late 70's early eighties I was looking for an EMPI GT steering wheel. I looked at all the swap meets and asked all my friends. Most of the people did not know what I was talking about and I would show them pictures. No one had any. Then in 1984 or 1985 I found one for $80.00 which seemed pretty expensive, but I had been looking for at least 6 years so I bought it. I still have it. Soon after everyone had one, and flat four remade them.
 The other part I have been looking forever for is an EMPI exhaust with the Glass pack that goes into two stock pee-shooters. I saw one on a bug in the mid eighties and stopped the guy and told him I would buy him any exhaust system he wanted in trade, plus cash. No dice. I think he thought I was crazy. I found one at Pamona 5 years ago and ran back to borrow some more money to buy it. When I returned 10 minutes later it was gone. Mr Komori had been there. I heard Dave Cormack has an NOS one but will not sell. A regular glass pack one sold on EBAY a few years ago I bid up to 800.00, it went for 1600.00! I have heard rumors of an NOS one a friend of a friend has, I'm waiting on that lead. Someday I'll find one and put it on my 1970 GTV bug. Or I may just have one made. It would probably cost less.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:00:58 am »

Just one part?? Ive got several on the list!

For my GTV Im looking for a EMPI 4 bolt header with the cast flanges and matching glasspack, the EMPI/Kamei center console with speaker, and the oil pressure "can" that attaches to the sending unit. A NOS German fuel pump. Some NOS EMPI cocoa floor mats would be nice, too (mine are in shreds). An original paint 1972 Texas Yellow hood (mine was resprayed Sad )Then, the car will be FINISHED!

My '67 needs a nice DDS shifter with the sticker and handle still intact. Also a Race-Trim non full flow oil pump cover will finish off the engine parts list. Ever seen those old finned aluminium torsion bar covers? I need a pair. Ohh, and a full set of Porsche "B" brakes Roll Eyes

For the Fastback, just a Race-Trim air cleaner, and possibly shorty Race-Trim intakes to fit my DCNF's if I decide to ditch the Berg's.

Ive realized that if I only had one project, it wouldnt be a project anymore as it would be done!! Ive got too many irons in the fire, anyone know the feeling??

If anyone has any of these parts for sale, dont let me know (unless its free!!). I dont have the money for them anyway!! Tongue

Ive got to know, what is yours Richard??
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 04:06:32 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Bryan67

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:37:45 am »

Zach... Kinda like these? They are pretty close.
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=461

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:55:17 am »

Zach... Kinda like these? They are pretty close.
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=461

Close, but fewer, thicker fins Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:30:28 am »

I spent ages trying to find an EMPI of NY Dash Plaque.  Both my mates had managed to locate some, and I thought to myself why not me?

Anyway I tried most of the usual suspects but nothing, then one day I was given a lead.  I sent a letter to sunny cali.  3 weeks later I got a reply from the man responsible for them, Richard Guarino.

Anyway a few letters back and forth etc and at last i have a NOS one signed on the backing paper.  We are still in contact and occasionaly he finds other bits!!!

Now all I need is that 51 split with crotch coolers to put it on.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
nicolas

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 06:52:05 am »

i would like to have a teak interiuor in my fastback... one of the holy grails in type3 world.

but i am not willing to give a arm and a leg to pusue my dream.

wolfswest

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:31:49 am »

hey nicolas,

Do you have pictures how that teak type 3 interior looks like?  I know a type 3 with an exclusive interior, really nice, maybe it is a teak interior....

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 11:40:36 am »

not at the moment

there is a couple of pictures on the samba if you search for teak in the gallary

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=302450

that is what it looks like. or should look like when all done right and original.

thanks for helping

nicolas
alfie the monster

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 14:18:56 pm »

Ah a browndasher  Cheesy My friend had a brown dash fasty for sale a few months ago! Lovely car, he ummmed and ahhhd about keeping it with his reddasher  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 02:18:17 am »

Mine would have to be a set of early fuchs for the 1980's price of $450/set.   Grin

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
bathing ape

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 02:35:26 am »

Just one part?? Ive got several on the list!

For my GTV Im looking for a EMPI 4 bolt header with the cast flanges and matching glasspack, the EMPI/Kamei center console with speaker, and the oil pressure "can" that attaches to the sending unit. A NOS German fuel pump. Some NOS EMPI cocoa floor mats would be nice, too (mine are in shreds). An original paint 1972 Texas Yellow hood (mine was resprayed Sad )Then, the car will be FINISHED!

My '67 needs a nice DDS shifter with the sticker and handle still intact. Also a Race-Trim non full flow oil pump cover will finish off the engine parts list. Ever seen those old finned aluminium torsion bar covers? I need a pair. Ohh, and a full set of Porsche "B" brakes Roll Eyes

For the Fastback, just a Race-Trim air cleaner, and possibly shorty Race-Trim intakes to fit my DCNF's if I decide to ditch the Berg's.

Ive realized that if I only had one project, it wouldnt be a project anymore as it would be done!! Ive got too many irons in the fire, anyone know the feeling??

If anyone has any of these parts for sale, dont let me know (unless its free!!). I dont have the money for them anyway!! Tongue

Ive got to know, what is yours Richard??
i can hook you up with header,no muffler
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: