The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 13:33:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Neighbour-friendly muffler/silencer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Neighbour-friendly muffler/silencer?  (Read 2654 times)
StewRat

« on: January 04, 2017, 15:41:24 pm »

I've been building the Stew Rat in a council lockup 5 minutes from my home over the last year and over that time I've engaged with many of the neighbours as I worked on the car at evenings and weekends.

Ladies with their cars in neighbouring lockups.
The guy I helped attach a tow ring so he could go bring back stranded friends
Multiple toddlers "its a car!"
The guy who stopped by to tell me about fitting some crazy engine in an Astra and flipping it,
The ex VW mechanic, now college lecturer
The drunk who was in the driver seat going vroom vroom before I could stop him
and misc teenagers wandering the streets of an evening

they pretty much think what i'm doing is cool.

But last might I may have outstayed my welcome as I got the car running properly for the first time on merged headers and an empi stinger - at 10pm

Guy from across the road came to ask me if I was finished as his kid was "shiting himself"

So I think I need to get a muffler/silencer to keep the noise down away from the track?

The flange on my merged headers is 60mm bolt centres and 45 mm ID on the tube.

GSF/veewee have a fairly economical silencer, but they cant tell me what the flange size is.

http://www.veewee.co.uk/parts/exhaust/exhaust-mufflers/252vg0060?vehicle=VW-Beetle

Any suggestions/recommendations?

(I should add this is a track only car, not street legal).

Thanks

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Andy

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 16:24:39 pm »

I expect that silencer is made by Empi and will have a standard small flange. . A quick measurement of one I have gives a bolt spacing of 55mm and an external tube diameter of about 41mm

I would guess you have a "large flange" exhaust, post a picture of what you have.
If it is just a case of keeping your neighbours happy how about changing the flange on the silencer to fit your application.
Garrick Clark

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:48:17 am »

You could buy a new 3 bolt header gasket. Go to a stainless steel outlet, get them to lazer cut you a flange out of stainless. Buy a 135* stainless bend off Ash silicone hose, Then buy my turbo Thomas stainless back box that I don't need FOR CHEAP, and weld it all together.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:51:24 am by GARRICK.CLARK » Logged

Air cooled Engine builder
StewRat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't weld, so weldy solutions are too hard.

I have tracked down the original ad for the headers and they are described as small flange and 42mm tube - I think those dimensions I quoted actually came from a stinger description rather than the exhaust when I was trying to match those up.

So at least I know what will fit!

Thanks again.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: