The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 16:32:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Need some help :(. Boink sound
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need some help :(. Boink sound  (Read 4446 times)
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« on: August 06, 2010, 11:18:21 am »

Guys,

I'm really lost here and about to give up on this 'hobby'. Have had a lot of problems the last year with my car. I just replaced the brakes and gearbox of my car. Front CSP discs and new drums etc in the rear. Gearbox is a beefed up one with weddle gears, side cover etc.

I drove my car 5 miles yesterday and everything seemed fine. Suddenly it started to make a sound coming from the rear. Can't really define is but it is a 'boink'. Like someone is knocking inside the fenders  Roll Eyes . Checked the wheels if they were loose etc but everything seems fine. When I turn to the left the sound disapears. When speeding up the sound also speeds up.

Anybody have a clue?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:34:11 am »

Is the BOINK coming from the left or right side, or rather somewhere in the middle?

I'm no expert on BOINKS, but when you checked the wheels, did you also check the axlenuts?

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:47:12 am »

Seems to be coming from the right. I didn't check de axle nuts yet.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Peter

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »

hey Jesse,
check the nuts,
I had the same noise and the drum was not completely tight
LuftsickTero

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:27:34 pm »

I drove my car 5 miles yesterday and everything seemed fine. Suddenly it started to make a sound coming from the rear. Can't really define is but it is a 'boink'. Like someone is knocking inside the fenders  Roll Eyes . Checked the wheels if they were loose etc but everything seems fine. When I turn to the left the sound disapears. When speeding up the sound also speeds up.

Exhaust touching the rear apron of fenders? Had this with my ex-Oval with it's turbo-muffler touching the passenger side rear fender due to the rubber mounting strap becoming too soft.

Pretty interesting drive on concrete road for 15-20 kilometers with those edges of the concrete pieces giving the car small bump few meters apart.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Felix/DFL

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:35:34 pm »

I'm really lost here and about to give up on this 'hobby'.

Hey don`t let yourself be fought down by such things...

Check the right rear bearing. Maybe that one has suffered from the last disasembly/assembly.
Bearings heats up after 5 miles and the sounds comes, especially in left corners...
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:40:43 pm »

Thanks guys for the replies. Will check it tonight.

I did had to use spacers between the drum and axle nut. (axles are SAW). Could that have anything to do with it?

@Felix, thanks but so much money is spend and no fun at all for the past 2 years. Haven't attend a meeting with the new engine yet...

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 13:59:34 pm »

The drums are on tight (350 Nm), me and my torque dude can vouch for that  Cheesy

Just to clarify, how should he "check" the right rear bearing? Perhaps the bearing retainer is shot and the bearing isn't on tight?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sander/DVK

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 15:04:47 pm »

Like I said dude  Wink

It would be great if this is the problem.

I'm really lost here and about to give up on this 'hobby'.

Hey don`t let yourself be fought down by such things...
This is really what he need to hear Felix, thanks!  Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 17:36:28 pm »

The drums are on tight (350 Nm), me and my torque dude can vouch for that  Cheesy

Is the drum tight, or just the nut?  Be sure the nut hasn't bottomed out before getting the drum tight.

but so much money is spend and no fun at all for the past 2 years. Haven't attend a meeting with the new engine yet...

That's the way it goes sometimes.  I got my new engine in September last year, drove it about 400 miles and winter came.  This season, I only got to enjoy it until May when the trans broke, and it has been sitting ever since.  I'm real bummed out to miss the two or three events I was planning on at the end of the summer, but I've done what I could and it isn't worth getting dragged down by.  It'll come together soon, don't worry!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 18:00:37 pm »

Is the drum tight, or just the nut?  Be sure the nut hasn't bottomed out before getting the drum tight.

but so much money is spend and no fun at all for the past 2 years. Haven't attend a meeting with the new engine yet...

That's the way it goes sometimes.  I got my new engine in September last year, drove it about 400 miles and winter came.  This season, I only got to enjoy it until May when the trans broke, and it has been sitting ever since.  I'm real bummed out to miss the two or three events I was planning on at the end of the summer, but I've done what I could and it isn't worth getting dragged down by.  It'll come together soon, don't worry!

I used a small spacer to get the drum tight. So that should be ok.

It's just a real bummer when you miss the events you wanted to go to and only have a lot of troubles with the car. Well let's hope it's a wheel bearing so I can fix it tomorrow. Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
thehanz DVK

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 19:44:16 pm »

turn the nut off and get the spacer out...get the nut on again and mesure the space between the drum and nut, the spacer should be at least 1 mm more to be sure...
the at least you know that's not the boink...

succes , and what all are saying...go on and don't loose faith

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 23:00:31 pm »

Thanks guys for all the kind replies Smiley.

Just took it out for a spin. And indeed the sound isn't there in the beginning but after a few miles. Will check the spacer tomorrow and bearing tomorrow.

I will let you know the outcome.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 01:47:56 am »

Java Green cars sunburn easily.  They like to stay in the garage.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 10:33:51 am »

you got that right mike. seem as though they prefer sitting in for months in a row Grin

cool jesse, hope it works out. make sure to raise the axle when replacing the bearing as the trans oil will come pouring out.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Peter

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 20:21:29 pm »

So Jesse,
all OK now?,
and with the brakes?
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 07:12:43 am »

Welcome to the wonderful world of vw beetles Jesse,hope your issues are gone by now Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 12:40:56 pm »

Didn't have as much time this weekend as I thought I had Smiley.

I checked the bearing but couldn't see or feel any play/damage. I ordered a new one so I'm waiting for that to arrive.

Brakes are ok Peter, I put in a new helicoil and it looks ok now Smiley.

Next thing is to change the camber of the front wheels. Anyone who has a guid to do that on a link-pin beetle? Thanks!

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
thehanz DVK

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 15:41:50 pm »

and the size off the spacer was it enough ??

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: