The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 19:49:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Day Mouldings fenders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Day Mouldings fenders  (Read 11147 times)
Tobi/DFL

« on: November 18, 2009, 10:03:01 am »

Hi everybody,
right now my buddy Jürgen from DFL is getting his 57 oval back in shape which he crashed in June after a giant wheelie in Bitburg/germany (see the other topic). So far he has most parts for the front together but it´s nearly impossible to source the correct front fenders for an affordable price. This is why he thinks about lightening the car a little bit with fibreglass fenders. I´ve heard that Day Mouldings in brittain are selling excellent fenders in different thicknesses but are not shipping them (pick-up only). The problem is that Jürgen doesn´t speak english too well so he can´t call them. does any of the british loungers know what a set of front fenders (lightweight) would cost and how to order those wings? Maybe a pick-up could be organised somehow and the wings brought to next year´s volksworls show...?!
Thanks for your help!

Tobi
Brother Lovedub

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:55:39 pm »

Day Mouldings are world class in terms of fit and quality - I have street weight rears on my '67 and a pair will cost about 100Euro.

Whilst they do not post, they will put them on a pallet if you get your own courier to collect - but obviously wont take responsibility for any damage after they leave their premises.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 13:07:11 pm »

I can do this for you, the problem is his waiting list, he never seems to be in a hurry.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
gibber!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 15:12:52 pm »

I didn't realise he did different weights, mine are heavy ass!
Fantastic quality...!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Matty c

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 18:25:47 pm »

with the last set we got there was a 3 month wait Undecided
well worth it though in terms of fit & quality Cheesy
      matty

67heaven
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 18:31:28 pm »

I think the standard manufacturing time is 3 months, we stock them  Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 18:57:23 pm »

I have the raceweight ones, still sturdy as hell and the fit is superb. I had the luck to stumble on a full set of wings laying around the vwspeedshop so didn't have to wait. Other than the perfect fit, another plus is the finish and the way they are built with a captive nut for the fitment of the headlights.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 20:35:31 pm »

Thanks for all the replies everybody!
Ben, I will talk to Jürgen. I guess he will get in contact with you.
Michael, thanks a lot for your offer! If Ben doesn´t have the fitting set in stock Jürgen will probably get back to your offer.
This is the reason i love this place! Smiley
Thanks!

Tobi
DeanoVW

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 00:02:02 am »

I have Day Moulding fenders on my daily. I had a two day drive to pick them up. Worth it though.

Dean.
gibber!

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 00:29:57 am »

I have Day Moulding fenders on my daily. I had a two day drive to pick them up. Worth it though.

Dean.

I know what you mean, it was a 5hr journey each way for me.... not the easiest place to get to.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
bodgit

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 14:33:17 pm »

I have a full set of Day Mouldings wings on my Oval:

I got mine in black base finish and no holes in either front or rear wings.

I don't think they're 100% period correct for Ovals as they're just "pre 67" wings, but even with the travelling involved to pick them up they far outweigh the hassle of trying to find four decent steel wings and then try and straighten them out.

Worth it.

Matt
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 17:01:22 pm »

I have a full set of Day Mouldings wings on my Oval:

I got mine in black base finish and no holes in either front or rear wings.

I don't think they're 100% period correct for Ovals as they're just "pre 67" wings, but even with the travelling involved to pick them up they far outweigh the hassle of trying to find four decent steel wings and then try and straighten them out.

Worth it.

Matt

The front wings look closer to oval wings than the steel repros! But you are right, they are a "one size fits all" early wing, probably closer to an early '60s one. I've used their late model wings on a couple of cars and they were stunning. On a '72 1200 we just polished the black gel-coat and painted the body black to match! I'll be using them again, no question! Smiley

If you are looking for an original pre-57 look wing, then you could try WPK in France - I think one of their cars on the track at EBI1 (matt black oval?) had their glass wings, and they looked spot on for an early car - more shaped around the headlamp bucket.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 17:41:04 pm »

I got a late set on my car.

Fit is very good but when the car was really low on the front the tyres rubbed on the headlight bowls as they were so thick.

Pain in the ass to get, as he live in the middle of Norfork and won't post them.

Think it was an 4 hour drive there and back when I collected them.      Roll Eyes

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
gyles

I'm too old for this shit.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 19:16:22 pm »

I have a set on my car too.  Brilliant fit and really  strong with hardly any flex.  Not many problems with running my front end low as long as its not with fat tyres.

I think you can get them through VW Heritage if you want them posted.

F.W.R.

ET 12.5s on road treads, 12.4s on slicks @ 109.95mph.  Shakey, 29/05/11
GreenTom

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 00:50:01 am »

Grate wings. Have a raceweight on my spar kafer and brought 4 sets to Poland this year (and set to belgium Cheesy for dr. Jeckill)  Cheesy everyone were totally astonished with the superb quality.
I was waiting about 3-4 months. but it's worth it Cheesy

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Pas

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 21:33:02 pm »

Day Mouldings ROCK  Grin

I have the raceweight ones as well,they weigh nothing but are still surprisingly strong.Superb quality,fit and value,when I rang Mr Day he quoted me £140,I think.At first I thought he meant each but it was for a set of four  Shocked
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 21:38:05 pm by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
JS

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 05:41:00 am »

Any problem fitting the headlights to the raceweight ones? Headlight bowl moulded in?

Signature.
Phil West

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 08:47:52 am »

Any problem fitting the headlights to the raceweight ones? Headlight bowl moulded in?

Exactly as stock wings.  Headlamps fit perfectly.
JS

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 10:13:14 am »

Thanks Phil!

Signature.
ESH

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 13:57:02 pm »

Like everyone else has said Day Mouldings wings are absolute top quality. Personally I've never liked the idea of fibreglass on a VW but looking at the other repro alternatives which are frankly a waste of paint I'd have no reservations running a set of the Day Mouldings ones. Other than good original genuine wings there is no other choice, having seen a bunch of cars running them the quality has won me over and if it meant waiting I'd wait. I know the original post wasn't a question regarding their quality and I know a few replies have already said how good they are but it doesn't hurt to support good outfits like Day Mounldings.

Cool
broen messiaen

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 16:05:18 pm »

hello,
wanna bring this old topic back up, because I have a question about my day moulding wings.
That they a super quality is a fact.
But here is my question:
I wanna put the lights on the rear and when I was looking for the measurment I saw there are little marks in the gelcoat of the fenders.
anyone knows if those marking are correct?
btw it's for a 69
or maybe anyone have a drawing of where the lights should be?

thanks
broen messiaen

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 16:08:40 pm »

And here is a picture of what i want to show
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 16:10:40 pm by broen messiaen » Logged
broen messiaen

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 16:10:21 pm »

Sorry, wrong picture ( tapatalk is new to me 😀)
richie

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 19:52:42 pm »

They have always worked out the correct place for me, but not put a late light on them recently

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Neil Davies

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 19:54:23 pm »

The ones I had were pre-drilled, but that was many years ago. They were perfectly positioned for a tombstone light though.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
gibber!

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 21:05:05 pm »

Mine also came pre-drilled but that was some time ago. Hasn't he sold the business recently?

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
richie

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 21:14:20 pm »

Mine also came pre-drilled but that was some time ago. Hasn't he sold the business recently?

Yes and retired

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
JS

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 11:36:02 am »

Wow, will the new owner continue production of vw fenders?

Signature.
andy198712

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 14:13:56 pm »

Wow, will the new owner continue production of vw fenders?

Apparently,
Last I looked a week or two ago they had a site for inquiries and will start early 2015 ...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: