The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:58:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Posted some pictures of a show approx. 10 years ago
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Posted some pictures of a show approx. 10 years ago  (Read 4237 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:39 am »

... on the club blog and am just trying to id some of the cars, if any of you were around Santa Pod at the VW shows approx 10 years ago please take a look.
Sorry can't post them direct, I haven't hosted them anywhere and the blog does not allow links to photos.

http://sas-renn-wagens.blogspot.com/

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:59:19 am »

Great blog  Cool.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 13:08:01 pm »

Thanks Nico!

turtle racer

Best Et 12.84 at 171 km/h

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 13:55:50 pm »

Great blog   Wink

I love the racer, gasser nostalgia.
http://turtleracer.skynetblogs.be/
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 15:37:33 pm »

KS Chop
Lil Woper
Lil Woper
Nick Ball (LBC2) '60 on Empi wheels
Paul Woodhead's '69
Ian Clarkes '52

The Volkstalgia bug I think was Bernie's '67 in the Gene Berg UK livery.

The pics of Lee's old bug have an intersting sidenote - the one with the Swamp Thing panel van in the background has the back of a red oxide oval off to the left - that became the Preacher in the hands of Scott Marsden from Spa Dubs.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 16:18:25 pm »

Thanks for the reply Neil. Any idea if the orange one is Paul Bate's car?  Also, re: Nick's bug, I could swear it was a 58 - being the nerd I am you know I'm going to dig out the feature on it tonight and find out! Wink Any idea where that one is now - does Nick still own it? What about the LBC2 club, are they still around? The pre-cursor to JG54, our own club and any other UK cal/drag oriented clubs maybe? They had some excellent cars....

I wouldn't have looked twice at that Oval btw - its a cool car now... I'm going to have to dig out some more old show pics tonight and stick them on tomorrow.

Paul Bate

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 19:30:13 pm »

Hello Kaferboy,

Yes that me behind 'Woodentop' I would say about 6-7 years ago but not as far back as 10 as I was having a break then !! Buying a house etc boring hey !!

All the best Paul Bate

Ps nice pics

Instagram: flatfourperformance_vw

Real street since 1994 drive to the track race and drive home no bull !

11.49 Natually Aspirated
10.79 Nitrous

1960 lbs with driver!
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 21:22:18 pm »

Hello Kaferboy,

Yes that me behind 'Woodentop' I would say about 6-7 years ago but not as far back as 10 as I was having a break then !! Buying a house etc boring hey !!

All the best Paul Bate

Ps nice pics
And that was me next to Paul's caravan as Neil noticed with his sharp eyes!!!. Bernie

Before you jump, check the depth.
Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 07:32:35 am »

I remember the oval as I was stumbling round the campsite at bug jam a few years before and saw it being sprayed with aerosols in the main camping area! The de-seaming was what stuck in my head - dunno why!

Definately stick up some more pictures too - you might have some of my old car there! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:05:40 am »

Hello Kaferboy,

All the best Paul Bate

Ps nice pics

Cheers Paul, I thought it was your car. Nice to get a rough idea of when they were taken too! Bernie, do you/anyone have some more pictures of the car when it was Berg'n Black? Neil, I'm sure I do have pictures of your old car - correct me if I'm wrong, was it a late model, red with gold pinstriping? If so I remember it being trailered to one of the shows. Did it used to run a hot 1641 or something like that? I may be way off! Smiley

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 08:08:51 am »

And regarding that picture of my brothers car (not Lee behind the wheel though), which also shows 'The Preacher' in a former life - how nice does the weather look?!!! Remember when the UK shows seemed to ALWAYS be really hot!?

Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 09:50:26 am »

Neil, I'm sure I do have pictures of your old car - correct me if I'm wrong, was it a late model, red with gold pinstriping? If so I remember it being trailered to one of the shows. Did it used to run a hot 1641 or something like that? I may be way off! Smiley

You're right, it was red with gold pinstriping, and although it was a '66 it did have an upright headlamp flip front on it, but then it had 1200-style rear lights, a W decklid and early pull-out doorhandles too, so the year was always difficult for people to work out! It was chopped and deseamed too. The motor was a 1584, essentially stock but for 1 5/8" merged header and stinger, 36DRLAs and 1.25 rockers, but it did get down to a 15.75 sec run! Smiley

black_bullitt

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 18:48:12 pm »

re: Nick's bug, I could swear it was a 58 - being the nerd I am you know I'm going to dig out the feature on it tonight and find out! Wink Any idea where that one is now - does Nick still own it? What about the LBC2 club, are they still around?

The car is a 60 model reg in 61, had the early rear lights and bullet indicators were retro fitted, nick doesn't own the car anymore - I do!! Grin - I bought it in '01 off Nick, the cars still 'oop north. LBC2 Doesn't exist anymore, I used to be a member! the club just sorta wound down with people getting out of the scene, usual thing. The car is currently in bits over my garage undergoing a few tweeks and stuff, should be back out next year (hopefully)
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 08:28:08 am »

Nice one BB, I'd love to see some pics of it now! You got any pictures of your old club? You should start a topic on that with a run down of some of the old members & cars, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

Look forward to seeing the car back out.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:12 am »

If anyone is interested I've posted up a couple more pics. Re: the one with the KS/Goss chop, the car in the background - is that the revamped Street Lethal when it ran grey? I can't really tell, but it does look like an '03. Anyone have any id's on some of the other cars? I can see the Bernie's cal-look Oval in there, but who else?!

Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 11:47:34 am »

If anyone is interested I've posted up a couple more pics. Re: the one with the KS/Goss chop, the car in the background - is that the revamped Street Lethal when it ran grey? I can't really tell, but it does look like an '03. Anyone have any id's on some of the other cars? I can see the Bernie's cal-look Oval in there, but who else?!

There's the DAS twins Turkis 62 in front of Bernie's oval, the one that got stolen and never recovered. The '03 isn't Street Lethal, it belonged to Travis Lawton IIRC. When SL was sold on it still had the orange and grey paint.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 12:12:43 pm »

Sad That theft still makes me mad. Cool car RIP.

vwhelmot

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 13:16:04 pm »

I posted up some pics of some of the obove cars and some more on volkszone. They were all taken approx 10 or more years ago, when Dave Rhoads ,Bill Schwimmer came over to the uk with their cars.  I must a sardistic side of me that likes pics of crashed vw drag racers! Chech it out!!   http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=498190
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 13:54:27 pm »

Now they are some cool pic's helmot! I nearly cried looking at what wa sleft of lil'jay in the pits the day it crashed. I too have some pics of that, plus some pics of it before the transformation into a racecar - I'll have to dig them out and post them up. Got any more you want to share with us?!

vwhelmot

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 14:44:28 pm »

Thanks dude!  I have some more pics, i will dig em out and get them posted! Grin
vwhelmot

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 14:50:31 pm »

I like the one where i think its Bill Schwimmer wiping the tomato sauce off his gob while enjoying a traditional english version of a burger from a dodgy transit van !    The one of Keith Seume sat in i think Rick Saddlers racer is cool, and if i remember they were having a few troubles starting it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: