The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 15:40:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Post Pics from racing engines
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Post Pics from racing engines  (Read 236982 times)
Dak-A-Tak

« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2011, 11:55:13 am »

Scat dry sump engine 2332cc allmotor plus nitrous (still sorting out) Only small valve heads 44x37 , 170hp at the wheels ( allmotor)

2387cc , cb comp heads , 218hp at the wheels

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:40:43 am by Dak-A-Tak » Logged
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »

Dakatak: I have to ask and please do not take it as a insult:

A 2.3 RACE engine producing 170hp. I take it for granted it is WHP and without nitrous? Thats 74hp pr litre. Even with the most "HP friendly calculators" it hard to get above 200hp at the flywheel. 

Take the Nash engine as a example as well, 2.7 with all the worst bits and bobs -  220 WHP.

Do you know what calculations you guys use when dyno testing your engines?

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
dangerous

« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2011, 20:41:36 pm »

That is wheel power.
Pete's engine has never been dyno tuned.
but with the small port heads he has, there is probably less than 15 more wheel HP to find.
(170 was with NO nitrous at our dyno day 4 years ago.)

Michael Nash's car made a best of 228wheel,(226 with the smaller venturis),
and recently ran 10.47@132.75mph in a 1490lb car.
The extra air being naca ducted into the air box from the back and side windows at the track
has increased the power,( and it DID need more fuel than the dyno).

Most popular dynos in Australia are "Dyno Dynamics" and correct the number to a standardized set of weather numbers for comparisons.
My calculations show Peters to make about 190 FW hp and Michaels to make 256FW at the dyno,
 and 272FW at the track, based on his mph.

These engine power CALCULATIONS seem to match closely the figures seen on superfow engine dynos.

The formula I use asks you to divide the MPH by 234,
cube that answer,
and multiply the answer by the weight in pounds.

11% is a random number I use for wheel power, and seems to match everything that I have seen.
Udo

« Reply #243 on: April 09, 2011, 07:01:07 am »

Most popular dynos in Australia are "Dyno Dynamics" and correct the number to a standardized set of weather numbers for comparisons

I think this is what a dyno must do and show the engine power . I have now one Bosch dyno on which i can work that is calibrated and it got a certificat that it shows the right numbers :-)

Udo

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #244 on: April 09, 2011, 08:51:22 am »

Dangerous, thank you for confirming that there is nothing "special" with your dynos down under. Most guys I have talked to use between 8 and 12% in their calculations from WHP to FHP.

A 44mm intake valve is certainly able to flow more than 187 FHP (170 + 17) and you do not need to search further than this section of The Lounge to find examples. As a extreme you can look at the "mouse" thread and the 1603ccm engine with a 43mm intake valve that produced 196 FHP on it's last dyno tests.

Personally I can not think of a more boring engine than a big stroker with a Engle cam, CB heads, 48 IDA's and the typical 150 - 170 hp and the excuse you always get is that they work or they are drivable or they last forever and of course the most popular excuse they are cheap If I built a dedicated RACE engine that produced anything less than 100hp per litre I would be very disappointed. As a matter of fact I would even call it a poorly built engine.

10.47 in such a light car is just a start and nothing special . That ET should improve based on the weight and your calculated HP and it's confirmed by the mph. It is one of my favourite race builds and it's a shame that it does not have a matching engine.

My favourite nitrous engine was recently sold (very cheap I might add) 2332ccm, 12.8 CR, CE heads by JPM, JPM raptor cam and EFI. It dyno'd 266 FHP on a very safe (read fat AF) without the nitrous and used a 135hp shot at the races. It was increased to 2386ccm and built to take a bigger shot of nitrous before it was sold.

Just my 2 cents.. Now heading to the garage. Sun is shining, it's around +8C and the last bits of snow is soon gone. Spring is here!

Fiatdude

« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2011, 18:31:58 pm »

Someone was wanting internal pictures -- here they are for my current 2919 build

pauter crank and rods

Angle port heads 48x38

the siamese barrells in 101.6 (4")

cylinders and pistons

Heads finished and installed

Almost completed -- I have everything in the engine compartment including the innercooler -- should be ready to fire the thing this coming week -- if I get off my ass and quit posting chit on the internet lol

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 18:44:17 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
stealth67vw

« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2011, 21:53:59 pm »

Didn't know Pauter made H-beam rods.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Fiatdude

« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2011, 22:04:55 pm »

Didn't know Pauter made H-beam rods.

They aren't -- they're carrillo chevy rods

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

dragvw2180

« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2011, 02:49:54 am »

2275   turbo, 400 plus dynoed FHP,

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:52:52 am by dragvw2180 » Logged
cbigpwr

« Reply #249 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:46 am »

D&A Racing SS/VX engine on Heads Up Dyno

Dyno sheet.
Fiatdude

« Reply #250 on: April 11, 2011, 04:09:50 am »

Right at 240 HP from 7600 to 8500 --- real nice power band -- real nice

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2011, 07:22:57 am »

Nice, how big is it?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJK5zlbvGtA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WJK5zlbvGtA</a>

2386ccm, 10.7:1 CR, 245 FHP with muffler and belt @ 7250 rpms. But it does not belong on this section since it is a street engine running on ordinary pump gas.

Best rgs
BB

Roman

« Reply #252 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:36 am »

A 44mm intake valve is certainly able to flow more than 187 FHP (170 + 17) and you do not need to search further than this section of The Lounge to find examples. As a extreme you can look at the "mouse" thread and the 1603ccm engine with a 43mm intake valve that produced 196 FHP on it's last dyno tests.

Correct.
My old 2387 made 228 hp with JPM ported 044 heads and 44 mm intake (made 11.29 in full street trim). It could have made more power if I had tweaked it a bit more.
240 hp on a 44 mm intake isn't impossible even on pump gas.

Edit; oops! I just remembered that I installed 46 mm intake on them...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 15:40:10 pm by Roman » Logged
Udo

« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2011, 15:25:23 pm »

D&A Racing SS/VX engine on Heads Up Dyno

Dyno sheet.

This is a real nice engine with real power,  as the et's show  . Not only dyno numbers :-)
Congrats ...
Udo

Baked Beetle

« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2011, 00:40:25 am »

that torque number is starting to fall @ 8100 rpms.....something must be wrong  Wink Wink Grin

cbigpwr

« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2011, 06:35:10 am »

Engine specs:

2275- 139 c.i.
Bugpack Street Pro castings 44x37.5, welded, ported, Manley titanium valves, copper seats, PSI springs
15:1 Wiseco pistons, Cima cyliders
Bugpack 82mm flanged crank
Pauter rods 5.4
Bugpack Aluminum case
Engle cam, .630 lift w/ Pauter 1.5 rockers
48 ida's with 42 venturis
SKAT TRACK manifolds

Best performance- 6.79@100mph 1/8 mile  12pounds per inch 1670 ponds
                             10.85@124 1/4 mile
                             10.60@130 1/4 mile 11 pounds per inch (during Sacramento Super Street race)

Anthony D&A Racing
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2011, 09:10:46 am »

Thanks for sharing.

It confirms what Roman is saying above here with regards to a 44mm intake valve. 108hp pr litre, a proper race engine.

ET and mph is just about the most idiotic statement I can think of when it comes to the engine perfomance. The best engine in the world can not replace a poor car, a poor track or a poor driver.

BB

Udo

« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2011, 12:01:57 pm »

The biggest difference between european and american's is that in the us every engine and car is built for rules . In europe we have no rules so everybody can do different stuff . I like more to race time slips than big hp numbers :-)

Udo

RUN IT

« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2011, 14:55:30 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

ET and mph is just about the most idiotic statement I can think of when it comes to the engine perfomance. The best engine in the world can not replace a poor car, a poor track or a poor driver.

BB
I know what you mean. My Super Street motor makes 597 HP on a famous Orange County dyno and cant get out of its own way. Must be me??? On the same dyno a buddy of mine made 963 HP with his 2442cc turbo motor using a raptor cam, a mac truck diesel turbo and cb performance super valve springs but can only runs mid elevens because the car is a piece of crap and the guys shifts like my grandma?Huh
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 15:05:19 pm by RUN IT » Logged
Udo

« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2011, 19:37:35 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

BB
I know what you mean. My Super Street motor makes 597 HP on a famous Orange County dyno and cant get out of its own way. Must be me??? On the same dyno a buddy of mine made 963 HP with his 2442cc turbo motor using a raptor cam, a mac truck diesel turbo and cb performance super valve springs but can only runs mid elevens because the car is a piece of crap and the guys shifts like my grandma?Huh

Sounds like a very nice dyno that shows some 100 hp too much :-)

cbigpwr

« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2011, 19:52:12 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

It confirms what Roman is saying above here with regards to a 44mm intake valve. 108hp pr litre, a proper race engine.

BB
I'd rather have a fast timeslip than a trumped up dyno sheet. I always hear about these crazy dyno numbers, but we don't race dynos. When your cars over there run faster than ours "on the same playing field" I'll give you guys props. I'm not going to get all jacked up over a dyno sheet. We run against guys making 30 h.p. more than us in Super Street, but there have only been two cars to run 9's. Both from the same shop, both off the same dyno.

Or maybe you would be happy if I put my motor in a piece of shit car and still ran good numbers?

Anthony D&A Racing
Udo

« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2011, 19:58:32 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

BB
I'd rather have a fast timeslip than a trumped up dyno sheet. I always hear about these crazy dyno numbers, but we don't race dynos. When your cars over there run faster than ours "on the same playing field" I'll give you guys props. I'm not going to get all jacked up over a dyno sheet. We run against guys making 30 h.p. more than us in Super Street, but there have only been two cars to run 9's. Both from the same shop, both off the same dyno.

Or maybe you would be happy if I put my motor in a piece of shit car and still ran good numbers?

Anthony D&A Racing

Wink
There you can see the difference anthony . I europe they do not like to race ...

Udo

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2011, 20:45:47 pm »

Anthony D&A Racing

Funny... We in Europe always hear about these crazy ET's but we have yet to see one car from over there managing the same ET or producing the claimed HP when it arrives Europe.

Smiley

When you have the chance to race a lot you risk getting faster - logical enough isn't it? Until we get the same race schedule we will always be slower so until then the least we can do is to build proper engines. Which brings this thread back to topic again.

@ RUN IT: nice contribution.

RUN IT

« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2011, 01:13:20 am »

Anthony D&A Racing

Funny... We in Europe always hear about these crazy ET's but we have yet to see one car from over there managing the same ET or producing the claimed HP when it arrives Europe.

Smiley

When you have the chance to race a lot you risk getting faster - logical enough isn't it? Until we get the same race schedule we will always be slower so until then the least we can do is to build proper engines. Which brings this thread back to topic again.

Sounds like you guys might need to stop working on the engine's a little and learn how to set up a suspension or prep a track or go to driving school or maybe correct the Dyno?Huh? Sorry but I'll take the time slip over a dyno sheet anyday. Never heard of a racing association giving credit for the most dyno HP. Added a little pic of another one of our incorrectly built engines just to keep with the topic.
Udo

« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2011, 06:07:52 am »

Anthony D&A Racing

Smiley

Sounds like you guys might need to stop working on the engine's a little and learn how to set up a suspension or prep a track or go to driving school or maybe correct the Dyno?Huh? Sorry but I'll take the time slip over a dyno sheet anyday. Never heard of a racing association giving credit for the most dyno HP. Added a little pic of another one of our incorrectly built engines just to keep with the topic.

Nice engine , let's keep the pictures , this is getting too much off topic ...
This is one of ours that i like most  :-)

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2011, 10:49:56 am »

Anthony D&A Racing

Smiley

That where us guys over here are going wrong we need to stop gluing all of the track and just do 7ft groove. Cheesy Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
kepajake

« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2011, 11:05:06 am »

It´s an engine and I´m gonna race with it, so I think it can be called race engine Smiley
Last summer it dynoed 211 hp / 262 nm. Now with bigger carbs and 1.5 rockers I´m hoping it will produce a little bit more.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2011, 11:09:20 am »

It´s an engine and I´m gonna race with it, so I think it can be called race engine Smiley
Last summer it dynoed 211 hp / 262 nm. Now with bigger carbs and 1.5 rockers I´m hoping it will produce a little bit more.

Nice looking too! Congrats with the good results.

BB

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2011, 11:50:00 am »

That where us guys over here are going wrong we need to stop gluing all of the track and just do 7ft groove. Cheesy Grin

So running an eight is a bigger achievement over here... Huh

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Jesus

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2011, 22:57:32 pm »

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: