The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:16:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  019 and 010 points
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 019 and 010 points  (Read 3358 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« on: December 10, 2011, 16:57:41 pm »

019 and 010 points have different part numbers, right? What is the difference? The heart of the question: I have a good set of points in my 019, and questionable points in my 010, which is in the car.

Can I swap?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 17:30:07 pm »

Yes, they are of the same, ya might want to drop Glenn Ring an e-mail just to make sure. Great guy and an expert on 010 and 019's. You can find his adds on the Samba.         Ted

VW Classic 2012
johnl

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 18:02:33 pm »

As I recall the difference was the advance curve.  I'm a Bosch distributor and I don't think they offer the points anymore.  In recent times Bosch has discontinued many items that suppliers always had on their shelves.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 18:53:56 pm »

They are the same, still available from Berg's last I checked.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
javabug

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 20:03:05 pm »

I couldn't imagine much difference in the breaker points, but figured I'd ask. Thanks, all.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 20:17:26 pm »

.  I'm a Bosch distributor and......
So that's what you dressed up as for Halloween!  Got any pics of yourself?
glenn

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 20:59:22 pm »

The Bosch 010 and 019 use the same points.

The use Bosch 01 001 points. You can also use the Bosch 01 016 points are are for the Porsche 356 and early 911s. They have a stronger spring and are good to 8000rpm. Bosch no longer makes either of those but Bremi does. I have plenty of in stock if you need any.

Bosch also no longer makes condensers for the 019 or 36hp distributor and no longer makes the correct spark plugs, but NGK does.

When i questions a marketing person at Bosch's North American headquarters I as told that "car's don't have distributors anymore". I told her that those parts fit old VWs, old Porsches, old Mercedes, old Volvos and old Alfas and the owners are willing to pay more, so double your prices and your profit margin will quadruple. She had not response.

In the past 2 years I was unable to get rebuild parts for them for a number of months. One day they just won't make them anymore and these distributors will quickly die off.

That is if they don't screw up the engine oil and gas so our cars won't run before that.

Our days are numbered.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 21:06:47 pm »

Hi and thanks for all the info glenn. One question, Whats the difference in the advance curve between the 010 and 019. I was just talking to a customeer last night about the two.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
javabug

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 23:10:08 pm »

I think I am going to put a small list of parts together for you, Glenn. I'll PM you shortly.

Is there a part number right on the points? I bet I have the "stock" 019 points because when I ran the 019 on my 2110 for a short while, it didn't like 5500+ RPM.

As soon as I get this sorted out it is gonna freakin' snow anyhow.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 04:39:35 am »

When i questions a marketing person at Bosch's North American headquarters I as told that "car's don't have distributors anymore". I told her that those parts fit old VWs, old Porsches, old Mercedes, old Volvos and old Alfas and the owners are willing to pay more, so double your prices and your profit margin will quadruple. She had not response.

Glenn and all, 

Royze has been a Bosch Distributor for decades and back in the good old days we purchased around a $1,000,000 annually from them.  That has changed and changed significantly over time.  Part of the reason for that is the powers that be at  their North American Headquarters in Broadview, Ill. which have to answer to the Fatherland either march to a different drummer of know something the rest of us don't. 

I've seen them drop items without a known reason and when we question this we never get an answer.  My phone conversations with Broadview are daily and I can hear the complete frustration in their voices.  Royze's personal rep is currently the longest standing employee with them in North America.  He is close to retirement and I think has given up on the fight as he knows it is a no win.

An example recently has been caps for the 009 unit.  We've had them on back order since Mobey Dick was a sardine.  The rep states that their plant in Spain can't get the compounds right and Bosch will not allow them to release the product.  I asked the question if Bosch controls all of the chemicals used to create the product they why can't they supply Spain.  The answer I get is "who knows the real truth"?

For me personally I've started to order items and suggest to our customers they do the same as who knows what the future will be.  Should any of you want specific items supply me with the numbers in a PM and I'll see what I can do.  My advice is if you find something you know can be used in the future and it is affordable BUY IT as tomorrow the story may change. 

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
glenn

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 05:53:28 am »

Hi and thanks for all the info glenn. One question, Whats the difference in the advance curve between the 010 and 019. I was just talking to a customeer last night about the two.
The 019 has 17* total advance around 3200rpm
The 010 has 21* total advance around 2800rpm

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: