The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:16:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  009 Advance Curve
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 009 Advance Curve  (Read 1999 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: June 18, 2015, 08:36:45 am »

Does anybody know much about re-curving a German 009 distributor? I've been thinking about trying to get mine to advance a little more quickly to compensate for altitude and (what I think are) slightly imperfectly tuned Kadrons. I'd mostly like just a little more midrange on my mild little 1641 single port and from what I can deduce, running at 5-6k feet in altitude with carbs that I rebuilt before I knew much about rebuilding carbs could cause some sogginess in the lower middle of the rpm band, and some extra advance around 2000 RPM might help that out a little. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
glenn

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:49:46 pm »

You can bend the spring stops a little which will relax the springs and move the curve down the rpm range a little.

Have you thought about using a 019?

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 18:02:01 pm »

My friend Steve modified the advance curve on the distributor on my wife's 1776 motor. It's the high compression 9.4:1 rebuild I did last year with 041 heads and stock 34 carb and muffler. It turned out great and I love that motor and the way it runs. No ping using regular gas and plenty of power. I asked him how he did it and he used an electric drill and spun the distributor while watching the weights. He was then able to modify when the weights moved by both tweaking the springs and grinding the weights down to make them lighter. Someone on here said they drilled the weights which worked well. Steve said the only bitch was that the weights were made of some kind of hard metal and were very difficult to grind down. I'll maybe get some pics of the dist someday. I'd like to make a couple more like that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 18:07:49 pm by Martin S. » Logged

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: