The weight saving thread

<< < (129/201) > >>

brian e:
Quote from: Zach Gomulka on April 02, 2013, 01:01:46 am

That's seven tenths of an ounce? As in about 20g? Lot of work I'm sure, but they look good. I like your thinking.

Yeah, 20grams difference.

The first one was a little work, but now there are easy.  We have a swiss CNC lathe at work.

richie:
Quote from: brian e on April 01, 2013, 23:50:46 pm

Here are some push rod tips I made.  I still need to run them through the oven and heat treat them. 
.7oz's per 16 lighter then the regular tips that come with the standard chro-mo cut to length sets.  I could have removed a little more in a few places, but these were a quickie experiment.  I think I will try titanium next for a little more weight savings.  I will be adding them to my own .035" wall 4130 tube. 

Brian

How much does it add that the bigger hole will fill with oil? I would think that with ti it might actually be heavier with the oil than the Ti left in there?

cheers richie

Jon:
Quote from: richie on April 02, 2013, 09:39:03 am

Quote from: brian e on April 01, 2013, 23:50:46 pm

Here are some push rod tips I made.  I still need to run them through the oven and heat treat them. 
.7oz's per 16 lighter then the regular tips that come with the standard chro-mo cut to length sets.  I could have removed a little more in a few places, but these were a quickie experiment.  I think I will try titanium next for a little more weight savings.  I will be adding them to my own .035" wall 4130 tube. 

Brian

How much does it add that the bigger hole will fill with oil? I would think that with ti it might actually be heavier with the oil than the Ti left in there?

cheers richie

That depends on if you are competing in dry or wet class Richie... ;)
How about running them empty (air) and make a separate oil line to the rockershaft... might even save in something on spring tension.

Martin:
or you could run a nylon tube down the center of the pushrods reducing the diameter, so it holds less oil but still flows oil.... ;)

Martin

brian e:
I had thought about both of these options.  I even sourced some thin wall nylon tube that will fit nicely into the newly drilled end hole.  I might try it out on these. 

I also like the no oil option with a separate spray bar or feed line to the rocker shaft. 

Some light 356 style lifters with a small diameter body will be next.  Probably not before winter though. 

I will heat threat these tips and get them into an engine in the next few weeks for testing.  The next run will have a few more little changes to shave a tiny bit more off each of them.     

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page