The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:44:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKK's Epic Reunion Picnic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: DKK's Epic Reunion Picnic  (Read 9260 times)
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« on: June 01, 2009, 21:53:17 pm »

Okay, I have been waiting all day for someone to start posting some pics from yesterday!!!!  I saw lots of cameras and I am certain there were lots of pics taken.

Absolutely AMAZING day.  As many of the DKK crew as could be found (locally) showed up yesterday for a fantastic picnic in the park at Craig Park in Brea.  We seemed to have over 50 or 60 people with all the kids, family and even a few dogs.  I cannot begin to say how cool it was hanging out with these great (and really fun) people again.   From 1st Pres. Dee Phillips and the wildest man I ever saw, Bob Wargo, to the Ito brothers, boys from Brea, Cory, Me, and Bob, the Montebello connection with Bubba and the guys, Gabbard for a few, Shwimmer in his cool green bus, too many to list but everyone of them were special.  Even ol' Rick Meredith popped up again!!!! (yes!)  Some great cars made it, some V8 muscle, some Euro rides, and of course a few VW's as well.  We were so happy to have people show up that have not been to a VW event in 25+ years.  Its funny to see how the conversations were constant and flowing, as if we had'nt skipped a beat....ever.  The family members of the Deek's were especially nice and fun, considering finding themselves in a time capsule filled with crazy people.  This was a truly fantastic day and the stories and people themselves made it the best picnic I have been to.....ever.  Yeah, as far as I can remember.  We were struggling with that all day as well.  Remembering stuff.  Geez it's been a long time......
Can't wait to do it again!!!!!
 As well, Ramirez set up a table for all the old photos everyone brought.  Original white tank stickers to original Vince Ito artwork and flyers.  Trophies, punk rock haircuts, skinny ties, shorty shorts, amazing car pics, and numerous other great goodies.  Awesome to see again.
Please post your pics (and stories) here, I am excited to see everyone's faces.  The only pic I took was of my car and a few backs.  Too busy talking...... imagine that!?

Let er' rip!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 22:02:36 pm by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 22:21:06 pm »

cool to see DKK  is reborn   Cool Cool

mark picture please  Grin Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 22:24:49 pm »

It was EPIC! Truly a fan-freaking-tastic day! I didn't bring a camera but I'm sure there will be lots of pics.

I haven't laughed so hard and so long for a really REALLY long time! Like maybe 25 yrs.

What I also noticed that was almost every story that was told had one phrase in it.... that phrase was "and that's when the cops showed up."  Grin

Special Kudos to Lisa's husband Vincent. Our girlfriends/wives are used to going to these things and they sit together and commiserate about dealing with car crazy men. Poor Vincent was neither here nor there but handled it great! Lots of respect to him!

Thanks to everyone who showed.

Special thanks to The Ramirez family for bringing all the stuff and to Dan Mazur for the original idea.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
low oval
DKK

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 00:58:36 am »

here's couple of shots at the picnic.  Mark, thanks for once again supplying the alcoholic camoflage. 

Our newest car Robert B.'s 64, Jr.'s and Mark R.

Past Presidents Mark Ramirez and Dee Phillips in the back ground with future Prez Mark K. "Fred" at the table.

the cruise home.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
64Bug

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:15:13 am »

Had a great time yesterday at the picnic, if this was a warm up for the calssic then bring it on Grin oh yah and getting jumped in wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. Cool

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 02:38:29 am »

I'm sure someone took a group shot ?
 Huh
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:45:41 am »

WOW Shocked All we do is keep having fun some thirty years later. Dave gains is sitting @ table w/Toni & Fred on right,it has been since 1976 since somebody mentioned DKK to him and as soon as I called him he said sure Ill be there! (we didnt even have decals when he was in)
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:56:28 am »

if this was a warm up for the calssic then bring it on Grin   

I'm ready for it!

Kevan
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »

mark where's the 67 Huh i see a bmw is it yours???

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 13:31:54 pm »

Fabian, I had way too much stuff to bring (food, chairs, etc.), so we decided to bring one of my other cars. Next time, I'll have my girl drive her car with all of the stuff and bring the '67. And, you're right... that's my '82 E21. Now that the Lounge is back up... how about some pics, yes?

Rollin' into Craig Park. Most of us haven't been back here since we brought our original club cars to this very location almost three decades ago.

This was right after we got there.

Mr. Davis kept his original club golf shirt.

Though much time has passed, many DEEKS have kept the spirit of nice cars quite alive. Bubba's Le Mans 'vert.

Schwimmer and I were talking and when Bubba came cruising down the road, we both stopped in silence and admired his latest ride.

Typical DEEK and attention to detail... note the Hella headlights. Not a very common sight in the States. Having just finished this project, he's already working on a '67 Cal Look sedan. Can't wait to see THAT.

Here, Bubba shows Junior his D.K.K. car back at one of the huge R.G. Canning shows held in Long Beach convention center in the early '80s.

Lisa & Worm... still having a good laugh. Just like nothing has changed.

Another view of the cars.

Ramirez set up a cool table full of old club memories. GREAT STUFF! A few others brought their wares, as well.

Through the years, Robert has been hangin' out with us. So after we made him buy biers, he got jumped in.

Bob Wargo is an original club member and still drives a clean fast car, too.

As does Bob Davis.

There was plenty of food to eat. Junior & Anita brought some EPIC carne asada. Vegetarians... please look the other way. Bob Davis was kind enough to say, "Hey, Fred... lemme cover up those hot dogs. They're ruining the shot of the good stuff."

Very cool to see how many of us kept our club jackets. I actually still fit into Bubba's, here.

Not only seeing the Ito brothers together was awesome... but Vince impressed all of us by bringing his original artwork to many of our famous events.

To this day, I still get people asking who we had draw for us. We were/are very blessed and lucky to have a built in artist. Vince, from another perspective, as it were. Timeless.

"OKAY, DEEKS... LISTEN UP. GROUP PHOTO!"

Which eventually evolved into this:

DEEKS walk down memory lane, joking and laughing all of the way.

Excuse me... Ms. Canine? I'm a stalkerazzi from TMZ, where are you off to?

Like most celebs, Ms. Canine couldn't be bothered and had to depart in a dechromed German car. How fitting.

So... like I suggested to Ramirez; we ARE doing these more often, right? Like every year... at least(?) Had a ton of fun catching up and hangin' out with D.K.K. that day. I'm proud, honored, and grateful to have been and still am part of this club. Nothing but GOOD TIMES, just like the original mission statement. See you all at Nick's and the Classic, DEEKS.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 00:54:11 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 13:46:06 pm »

Cool report and pic's, Mark!  It's great to see the DKK crew back together again.  Who'd a thunk it! Wink Cool

DKP III
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 17:53:35 pm »

The Pirainos had a fantastic time too!!  It was great to meet the new ladies of our DKK family.  We've made secret plans for the Classic and it involves wine!! Wink  I also enjoyed watching our kids play together.  Mark's daughter is an absolute doll.  She is beautiful Mark, inside and out.... you and your wife should be soooooo proud!!  Karina's favorite was the killer poodles.  She loved getting an e-mail message from them yesterday.  Vincent enjoyed getting to know you guys and seeing for the first time what I've been so excited about.  He really didn't know anything about my VW days up until a few months ago. Thanks for being so kind to him.  He was talking about VW engines at the dinner table last night!  I almost fell off my chair : ) 

And the Twins..... their favorite part was being catapulted from a pine tree branch by Rick's son!  Shocked Shocked Shocked  I pointed it out to Rick and his response was.... while shaking his head.....

"Well Lisa, all I can say is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!" 

Looking forward to making more great memories with you at the Classic!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 18:02:04 pm by DKK Lisa » Logged
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 18:09:51 pm »

Anthony had a great time playing with the girls too. Of course all I heard on the way home was about the RC Trucks the Ramirez family were playing with.

Of course.. Lisa doesn't tell you the set up for the comment I made. She comes over to Anthony and I and says "Do you know what your son has been doing with my daughters?" So I immediately thought the worse and gave him one of those parental "If you did something mean/wrong/bad you won't see the sunlight until you're 23!" stares. Then Lisa tells me the story about the tree branch. Whew! He gets to live another day! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 18:17:48 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 19:36:56 pm »

Excuse me... Mr. Canine? I'm a stalkerazzi from TMZ, where are you off to?

Like most celebs, Mr. Canine couldn't be bothered and had to depart in a dechromed German car. How fitting.

[/b]

Not many people know this but Dan's dog was a stunt double for Lassie in "Lassie, Come Home" That's why the stalkerazzi  were following every move.

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 19:40:10 pm »

Anthony had a great time playing with the girls too. Of course all I heard on the way home was about the RC Trucks the Ramirez family were playing with.

Of course.. Lisa doesn't tell you the set up for the comment I made. She comes over to Anthony and I and says "Do you know what your son has been doing with my daughters?" So I immediately thought the worse and gave him one of those parental "If you did something mean/wrong/bad you won't see the sunlight until you're 23!" stares. Then Lisa tells me the story about the tree branch. Whew! He gets to live another day! Smiley

He's a great kid Rick!!  The girls had a blast with him : )  Looking forward to seeing Anthony again at the Classic.  I wonder what fun they'll find there???
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 19:41:56 pm »

We've made secret plans for the Classic and it involves wine!! Wink

All you have to say to Sue is "Wine" and she'll be there.... Now if I can just convince her that The Classic is really a Wine Tasting.  Roll Eyes Grin

He was talking about VW engines at the dinner table last night!  I almost fell off my chair : ) 

<insert evil laugh> He's one of US now! <more evil laughter>

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 19:52:01 pm »

All you have to say to Sue is "Wine" and she'll be there.... Now if I can just convince her that The Classic is really a Wine Tasting.  Roll Eyes Grin

I vote for a DKK Ladies Wine Tasting Party at the Classic!!!  And if the boys want to taste wine too .... the more the merrier  Grin
Dan Mazur

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 20:35:38 pm »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 19:07:15 pm by Dan Mazur » Logged

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
alfie the monster

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 21:58:38 pm »

Sounds like an awesome day  Cool

JG54 Grunherz
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 22:03:27 pm »

Cool report, that's what I call a great day !

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 00:15:08 am »

<insert evil laugh> He's one of US now! <more evil laughter>

HAHAHA!!! Good one, Rick.

Dan, sorry 'bout that... I went back and corrected the gender mistake. My most humblest of apologies.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 00:23:14 am »

I vote for a DKK Ladies Wine Tasting Party at the Classic!!!  And if the boys want to taste wine too .... the more the merrier  Grin

On behalf of the lovely Mrs. DKK Rick... she's in!

Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 02:07:35 am »

looks like a great time

Go fast, don't turn
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 02:34:59 am »

It was fun.  I wish the pics showed how many people were actually there all day.  In the group photo we missed getting 4 or 5 more that left earlier (you know who you are!)

Great pics, cant wait for the Classic. 

Wilkerson, Lemonade, Hicken, Dale Bros.,Dyno, etc...you were all missed.  Of course we sat around and told awful stories about you!

Worm
P.S. ...btw... nice Sadie Hawkins pic Steve....... too damn funny.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:42:34 am by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 02:51:44 am »

Danny Sikich says he'll be at the Classic too!

Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 02:59:49 am »

Ok whats the Sadie Hawkins picture???

Go fast, don't turn
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 03:07:02 am »

Lisa had a pic of you two at what looks like a Sadie Hawkins dance!  Grin

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 03:43:02 am »

Oh Steve.... don't worry.  You'll get a copy. Wink  I scanned it onto the disc I'm giving Rick this week.  DKK Photos.... that counts, right?  Cheesy  I wish I had a copy of Alex and Kathy Hill.  Remember, they came too!!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 03:46:51 am »

Another Story...

At one time I had a notebook that had every club flyer up to that point and a bunch of club phone lists club rules etc. We had a car show at Irvine Park and when I got home, I realized that I had left the notebook on a picnic table out there. The next day I rushed back to the park the next day to look for it.. I looked everywhere for it... even dug through dumpsters and trash cans. Never found it.

I've always been bummed about losing this notebook... I even mentioned it to Vince Ito on Sunday morning.

So I'm going through all the memorabilia. I start flipping through a notebook that Scott Hall had brought. On the back of one of the phone lists, I saw a phone number written in my handwriting.  I thought "that's kind of odd." I kept flipping and ran across some flyers. "Cool Scott has some of the old flyers" I get to the next section and it's page after page of data... all in my handwriting. Then it dawns on me... this is the notebook I left at Irvine Park all those years ago!

The funny thing is that Scott doesn't even remember how he got it. He must of picked it up at the park that day.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 03:48:54 am »

Oh Steve.... don't worry.  You'll get a copy. Wink  I scanned it onto the disc I'm giving Rick this week.  DKK Photos.... that counts, right?  Cheesy  I wish I had a copy of Alex and Kathy Hill.  Remember, they came too!!

I think we can make an exception.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: