The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:06:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350774 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  Wanted
| | |-+  Digital Picture of my 68 PickUp
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Digital Picture of my 68 PickUp  (Read 3407 times)
EMS

« on: June 08, 2010, 08:07:25 am »

Looking for a digital copy of an article in the short run Auto Haus Magazine that showcased my 68 VW pickup with a Bultaco Pursang on the back. Over the years my personal copies were borrowed. Some of you might remember me, I manufactured counter weighted stroker cranks as Ed's Machine Services and had a repair shop/race car prep called Bug Engineering. I was partial sponsor to Kris Klingaman early on. I did mostly Pro Off Road Racing. Sure has been nostalgic looking through the old pictures. I was directed to this site by a couple guys from Vancouver, BC down for the VW meet next week. Any info that would put me on the right track would be appreciated.

Ed
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:15 am »

Hey Ed,

Welcome to The Lounge

Try PMing Speedwell on the forums here. He's got an incredible library of Cal-Look literature. He'd be my "go to" guy for something like this.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
EMS

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:18 am »

Thanks - First one I contacted. I can't even remember the name on the magazine however I think it was the third or fourth issue? It was the centerfold because of the girl, with the bikini top (big uns as I remember) and short shorts, that stood next to the truck.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:46:25 am »

Just make sure you post pics when you find them! Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 15:38:17 pm »

hi ED , i received your email
are you talking about the vw trends the fourth issues
so it was a pick up bug ok Huh i wll see if i  found a pictures of your car and post it here

rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 15:44:53 pm »

ok found it it's a bay window pick up with a motorcycle on the bus, it was brown and white correct???
ok i will scan it and post and send to you a high res copy

rgd
fabs

EMS

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 16:03:05 pm »

Hey I think you found it. Possible you could scan the whole article too?? Confirm it was about Ed Cotta of Ed,s Machine Services, Sepia brown bib on an off white truck, wood side rails, Bultaco on the back, in a dirt field. I am going to look for some pictures I hope I still have of the early bug-ins and car clubs, I will post them in the lounge.

You are the archivist - THANKS!!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 18:25:33 pm »

email send  Wink

for the loungers here's the report

EMS

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:02:40 am »

You DA Man!! Speedwell. Thanks again, I truly appreciate your efforts.

Ed Cotta

Little history on the motor, pistons were 90 mm mahle forged with chrome lined aluminum cylinders. all the sheet metal was gold cad plated. At the time I was building sponsoring pro off road buggies so I built a set of mild heads for low end power like the buggies. The dual 32 ndix zenith carbs gave it solid performance on and off road. I added a cooler in the black box in the back however the motor would never come up to operating (even with the bellows installed) temp unless I was in the desert heat so I installed a bypass valve. One anomaly of the aluminum cylinders was that they would shrink faster than the pistons when the temperature changed too quickly. I was on my way to the Mint 400 with a trailer full on motorcycles and a couple toolboxes and parts on the back - Sprinted up the Cajon pas at 80+ mph just past the summit there was snow on the ground. Let off the gas and the truck immediately started to slow down to a crawl. Stopped at the side of the road and checked under the hood - everything was in good order - started it up again ran fine, drove on to Vegas. Pondered the problem a while and realized it was the cylinders shrinking quicker than the pistons. From then on I always backed off when I crested a hill. The truck was always fun, had lots of power, got about 23 mpg highway, carried my bike to glamis many times. Great memories.
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:03:59 am »

big ed/WTF/....nice to talk in brief with you....speedwell is the man isnt he..??  i can still remember your cab loaded with parts.....hold on just a sec..........POP....FIZZ.....ahhhh.....sending you a COLD ONE ED..!!  peace out/dyno
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 13:29:22 pm »

my pleasure ed and thx don  Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: