The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 17:07:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350700 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  Wanted
| | |-+  Rust free Heater Channels/sections from USA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rust free Heater Channels/sections from USA?  (Read 2508 times)
leec

« on: November 16, 2014, 13:31:33 pm »

I have bought a 69 Beetle, very original and untouched. It is not too a rotten for a UK car but has suffered the most at the front of the heater channels and front inner arch, both sides.

I was wondering if any US forum members know of any scrap yard bugs with solid metal in these areas could cut out the sections I need
and ship them to me? Obviously I would pay for the cuts and shipping

Tried thesamba but no real luck

Lookin for something like this

http://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/detail.aspx?id=5426
Lee
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 14:07:22 pm by leec » Logged
E-boyz67

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 00:52:31 am »

Would a 67 work for you? I have a 67 bug that now became a parts car and both the heater channels have no rust. the right front side was damage and you'll need to weld a piece where the heater tube fits on to but not a major thing to do. It was in a front quarter panel hit and I bought a NOS German panel to weld in but sold the vin. number to a guy who has a manx and needed a clear title. He offered me a price I just couldn't turn down. If you want some pics give me your email and I"ll get some to you. We can work on a deal.
leec

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 18:06:30 pm »

Hi,
Thank you for the offer. After looking at my Beetle again the a pillar forward is where the most corrosion is so don't want to buy something that requires repairs there.
Lee
-Alex-

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 21:36:01 pm »

I would try Avery's Aircooled.  I got almost rust free inner panels to rear from them. These are somewhat hard to find as a repro part..

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 22:58:11 pm »

Hey Lee, I'm not trying to dissuade you, but . . . as you know, heater channels quite often rot from the INSIDE to the outside.
What looks great on the outside might still be paper thin! That stands true even here in California. Any more, when someone tells me "It's Rust-free", by default I figure that they do not know where to look for rust.
Unlike other patch sections, heater channels cannot be inspected without dissecting them.
Just food for thought before you pay someone to extract a pair of "rust-free" channels and having them shipped. Wink

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
leec

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 17:49:25 pm »

Hi 56Blitz

I appreciate your reply. It was good timing as yesterday the car was looked over yesterday by Alex at Defcon 3 and he has concluded that the channels in my car are more than repairable with some fabricated repair sections. (As I hoped)
So no need to risk body cuts from the US

Thanks,
Lee
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: