The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 19:50:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  The Original Angle Flows.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Original Angle Flows.  (Read 3180 times)
SlingShot

« on: October 18, 2009, 07:51:47 am »

Was the "race shop" the first to design these heads? The article states a 10% power gain, thats pretty damn good, granted it would be a lot of work to adapt a stock casting into and angle flow, but the benefit of more cooling area from a stock head vs the super flow style would be worth it. I'm still unsure on how the header would seal correctly. Anyone seen this setup close up? Please expand.

Will Race For Beer !!!
Frallan

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 06:45:18 am »

Hi,

Good to see old nostaligic pictures.
I have not seen this specific set myself but I guess this article/car and engine inspired Classe Ebbenäs in the 70's to build his own version of the heads. In fact he built more than one version.
The ones I have seen used a lot of weld and then a short piece of steel tube shrunk in to just below the exhaust seat.
The header seals edge to edge to that steel tube.
One version ran in St Moritz Fashion car.
Another version he used himself in his Beetle Funny car.

I purchased a watercooled conversion of TIV heads with exhaust ports like this. It was built by Christer Lindström at Beta Racing in Avesta in mid 70's too.

Ole

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:34:26 am »

If you're into early Angle Flow's you might like this...

Wink Grin

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
SlingShot

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 17:40:31 pm »

If you're into early Angle Flow's you might like this...

Wink Grin

Saludos,
Ole

Cool! These ones I assume use a slip fit header.

Will Race For Beer !!!
Udo

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 20:17:34 pm »

Hi,
One version ran in St Moritz Fashion car.

Good to hear this . Seems they did a lot of testing on that car  Cheesy  Like i do ...

Udo

Frallan

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:13:27 am »

A little bit of history.
Spy picture from Kim Riishede of St Moritz Fashion port.

Then a not so good picture but still it is the back end of Classes Funny car with some experimental heads.
Once he turned up with them being heated...yes heated as he did not wnat them to cool off too much prior to being raced.
The seats would move too much he said. He had designed a ebersprächer contraption to keep them warm from workshop to the track.
I swear it is the way it was, as I saw it myself. It only happened once though. It was not so practical.....:-)

Classe, RIP in VW heaven. You taught me a lot and inspired many.

Ole

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:42:59 am »

Wow, that's very nice! Just got to love this "protection shield" around the flywheel...

Udo, how about some changes on your car? You could make some Angle Flows like shown above, I could work on the paint scheme... Roll Eyes

Saludos,

Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Udo

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:57 am »

Wow, that's very nice! Just got to love this "protection shield" around the flywheel...

Udo, how about some changes on your car? You could make some Angle Flows like shown above, I could work on the paint scheme... Roll Eyes

Saludos,

Ole

Ole , i am on the way to get a little faster , not slower  Cheesy But in those days it was a very good idea and work.
May be sometime the car gets the original paint back .. Who kows

Udo

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: