The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 21:57:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350738 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  painting my fuchs wheels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: painting my fuchs wheels  (Read 12082 times)
wolfswest

« on: December 03, 2007, 21:01:08 pm »

Hi guys,

I think that it's okay that I put my new topic here.  It's not realy a post concerning my progress with something but more a "how to" question.  If it belongs in the off topic section, please move my post.

I bought new flat 4 fuchs wheels and they are completely polished.  I want to put them in the well known black/polished look.  Anybody done this before and what are the recommendations? 

-  Do I first need to scour the wheel where I want to paint it or is there special paint for it?
-  what color do I use best?  satin black or high gloss black or ....

Anybody got detail pictures of detailed fuchs so I can see where I have to put my tape...  I've got 4,5 and 5,5 wheels...

thx!

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Sander/DVK

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 21:53:35 pm »

Is this good enough? Smiley

These are also Flat-4 fuchs wheels, and I painted them right on the polished aluminium.

Note: Remove the tape when the paint is wet, en use the bleu fine-line tape from 3M for sharp lines.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 21:56:09 pm by Sander/DVK » Logged

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
wolfswest

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:02:15 am »

nice work Sander!  Looking good.
Also pb send.

Dem

Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 09:51:06 am »

Hi guys,

I think that it's okay that I put my new topic here.  It's not realy a post concerning my progress with something but more a "how to" question.  If it belongs in the off topic section, please move my post.

I bought new flat 4 fuchs wheels and they are completely polished.  I want to put them in the well known black/polished look.  Anybody done this before and what are the recommendations? 

-  Do I first need to scour the wheel where I want to paint it or is there special paint for it?
-  what color do I use best?  satin black or high gloss black or ....

Anybody got detail pictures of detailed fuchs so I can see where I have to put my tape...  I've got 4,5 and 5,5 wheels...

thx!

Dem

I also have a set of 4.5 and 6 early rims that are "in the works" so I think It will be good for us and probably a few more to keep this thread right here :-)
My rims where painted MWS style, so I have removed the paint and will go for the original "water level" paint job.

So tips and pictures on how to do the paint and which paint to use will be appreciated

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Sander/DVK

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 19:11:28 pm »

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 19:20:09 pm »

good job sander Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sander/DVK

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 20:03:24 pm »

Thank you Fabian Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Eddie DVK

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 21:21:58 pm »

Whooo good looking sander.
what kind of paint did you use for this.?

Kind regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Sander/DVK

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 21:27:48 pm »

Thanks Edgar.

I've spray them with Motip Semi Gloss.  Wink

Cheers,
Sander

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 23:34:42 pm »

I first used a small string and a black pen to mark the edges of the spokes (to make sure they all have the same length).
Then I used fine masking tape to mark the contours of the flower, and covered the rest with bigger tape.
I scuffed the remaining areas with a red scotbrite (but I don't know if it's the perfect grit for the job).
I degreased the wheel to the max, and painted it several coats of Motip aerosol paint. Some people put primer first, but the paint still holds after more than 5,000kms of (mostly dry) road use.
I'm not a fan of the 'shiny' look so I used matt black (even semi-gloss was too much). It gets dirty quicker apparently, but wheels should be washed regularly anyway!
(Yes, I know, the wheels were dirty when I took these pictures. Duh  Roll Eyes )

This is a 5,5. Originally, the wheels were painted by being lowered in a bath (I believe), so that's why the edges of the spokes must be as horizontal as possible.
Could have done better here...

I also means the 'inside lip' (or whatever you call it) needs to be partially painted too, at the same level as the spokes. Many people leave this area completely polished (I see Sander did the same), but painted just looks... just... more... well... original!!!

Another view of the small polished part left on the inside of the rim (about 5mm wide). It's much bigger on a deep 6.

And then there's the choice of nut finish (chromed or black). Don't get me started on that one...

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 23:48:10 pm »

Satin paint: Yes! Lip partially painted: Yes! Yvre, you rock Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
wolfswest

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:55:52 am »

very very nice guys.

Sander told me that I have to remove the tape right away as soon the rims are painted because otherwise you pull the paint of...  So I suggest that there is only one coat of motip on the wheels?
Yvre, what where your experiences?

Dem

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 09:39:25 am »

Originally, the wheels were painted by being lowered in a bath (I believe), so that's why the edges of the spokes must be as horizontal as possible.

You are exactly right, and thats why the 4,5 isn't painted in the same way, the edges on the wheel would go under and become all black.

You did a great job Sander! 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 10:34:20 am »

very very nice guys.

Sander told me that I have to remove the tape right away as soon the rims are painted because otherwise you pull the paint of...  So I suggest that there is only one coat of motip on the wheels?
Yvre, what where your experiences?

Dem
I put much more than one coat (I think I used 4 or 5 cans for all 4 wheels) and let it dry.
The paint didin't lift when I removed the tape, but some of the edges are not as sharp as I would have wanted them to be.
mychatype3

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:14 am »

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/popup.php?img=fotos/20109.jpg&title=nieuwe+wielen+voor+mijn+ponton

In 2005 i painted my Fuchs, what a work, polishing and taping!
This winter i'm starting all over again..............  Sad the edges are coming loose....
I painted them wet in wet, first primer and then two coats of black.
This time i'm gone painted them semigloss instead off highgloss.

1968 fastback "in resto"
1970 Westfalia from the States
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: