The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 00:12:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350739 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project X
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Project X  (Read 3801 times)
Project_X

« on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:28 am »

Hi guys, my names Albert, I'm 23 and slowly learning bout VW's.I used to be into the Japanese imports till I seen a few bugs in a local mag at my job.I have a 72 Standard bug.My dad and I have been workin on this bug for fun, and its my first project car.We've done alot of work to it but its still a slow process hopefully it will be done in March possibly sometime.It needs the interior,motor,windows and minor stuff done thats left to do.
Its painted a 2 tone thats done a little different than everyone else.The body is Harbor blue, and the fenders are Almond white.The interior I have is stock an black,with a Grant GT 3 spoke slotted steering wheel, and EMPI trigger shifter.The wheels on it for now are 15x4.5" Ansens front and back with 195/60/15's.
Heres some recent pics of it.

Don't mind me, standing there lol!

stock 1600cc

current wheels may stay depending how it looks after.

It sits high because theres no motor an it also has air shocks in the rear ( PO did that).
Once its on the road (my main goal for now) I will eventually have the front beam narrowed 4" and get drop spindles.Have it lowered 3-4" up front and 2-3" in the rear.Im not into the rear end up in the air.If I dont like how it looks in the end I will order 3" wider fiberglass fenders for the rear, change the bolt pattern to 4-100 and buy a set of 4 spoke rims I have my eyes on.They are 15x7 (for front with a 38et) and 15x8 (for rear with a -27et) they weigh 11lbs each.
Once the look is what I want...Im looking at that mouse motor topic and like those high reving lil motors (im used to it, japanese imports ya know?) LOL!
I have and idea for one but Im not sure if they are street friendly, I wont race it, but maybe once just to see what it can do but at a strip.
Im thinking :
1600cc
pistons:85.5 (forged)
Crank:69mm c/w forged
Cam & rockers: FK7 with 1.4:1 forged
Case:AS41
Heads:Stock VW cast heads with the works (whatever I can afford)
Compression:10:1
Exhaust:Merged 1.5" header with something different  Wink
Carbs:Dual 40IDF's
Ignition:Pertronix
Donno what kind of hp it would make, I was told in the past that little motors arent worth it to build.So I dont know.

Thinking outside the box? hmm...I dont wanna play in the box no more, so Im stepping out for a while..
Aircooled for a reason, waters for boats!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:27:51 am »

Welcome to The Lounge Albert.

I like that you in your first post start with a introduction of your project and yourselves, thanks for sharing and good luck with the project. A little lower in the front and some paint on those fenders and you have a nice late looker. Did I mention that I dig blue cars?

Anyway, enjoy The Lounge!

Best rgs
BeetleBug

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
ESH

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 14:39:13 pm »

...I like that you in your first post start with a introduction of your project and yourselves, thanks for sharing and good luck with the project...

I echo that. Pleased to see you saw the light and switched to VW's, I don't think you'll regret that though I'm sure you'll wonder about it sometimes! Welcome to The Lounge, you'll find good information here.
Smiley
Project_X

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 15:29:03 pm »

Thanks for the compliments. Beetlebug,my bugs 2 tone, LOL thats the colors of my bug.The fenders are different color than the body just to be different.Im already "outside the box" LOL

Thinking outside the box? hmm...I dont wanna play in the box no more, so Im stepping out for a while..
kev d

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 16:02:34 pm »

Thats a cool first project Grin
Now you`ve got into `dubs you`ll forget all about the darkside.. Wink
Welcome to the lounge & keep us all posted on the progress
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 23:18:00 pm »

Welcome to the lounge Albert , looks like you have a good base car there for your first bug . Should you decide to keep the Ansens ( wheels ) and I would  Cool, you will need to narrow your beam by at least 3"1/2" if you want the wheels to sit right once you have lowered it , as the off set on these wheel's are ridiculous .
Good luck with your new project and keep us all posted to your progress  Smiley

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Project_X

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 07:40:35 am »

Well not much went on but I got windows in my doors now so Monday were going to put the door panels on the doors, then do my brake lines.Also going to get some padding to go under the carpet before it goes in, then the rest of the interior will go in.Then all thats next is refreshing my brakes and my motor will go in.Then it will  be alive.

Project_X

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 21:53:06 pm »

New pics, my dad put my windows and dor panels in for me while I was working.
Took him 45 minutes for each side.Turned out nice to me.

And yes I am aware my winfg windows dont match, later on down the road I will get a chrome one to match the other one.We were going to make the other one match the black ones but I like the polished look best.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: