The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:23:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  63 Ragtop Dad and Lad project.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 63 Ragtop Dad and Lad project.  (Read 116 times)
BossHogg76

« on: April 30, 2024, 20:57:17 pm »

I realise that the trend is to post pretty pics on Instagram, i do it myself and the days of long threads documenting projects is probably a thing of the past. However I did it for the 67 which is now about 11 years ago when i did that, and i think this would be a nice way to chronicle this project should Daniel ever want to read it. The 67 has evolved over many years and i fear that if i tinker anymore i will lose the vision i had for it when I built it, which was a Cal Looker with a bit of a punch that i could drive to shows in Europe and occasionally take down the strip. My lad who is now 9 is taking more interest in cars. (thankfully as he is train obsessed and has been for years) and in particular loved going to the Melbourne Drags near York. Now i could make the 67 more focused, but i took the decision to look for another project.

I've wanted a rag top for a number of years and at the start of 2023 took the decision to stop mucking about and take this seriously, The Hanz kindly looked in Europe for a suitable candidate but nothing came up, so i took the brave step (for my wallet) to ring everyones favourite purveyor of Gasser Garage Goodies, a phone calll, a return phone call 30 mins later. The oh shit moment of this looks like it's reality dependent on photos and few weeks messaging and waiting and we had a date arranged to pick it up. Given our locations in the UK, a half way spot was chosen and on Thursday 25th April the deal was done and the vehicle swapped hands.

So what had i bought? well I've the ex-Scott Bakken The One replica which is ex DKP i believe. It's a very solid base for what I have in mind, and just enough work to allow my son and I put our own spin on the car. It will not be returned to being a The One replica, but its heritage in terms of colour way will be retained, and we will put our own subtle twist on it.  I'm sure people will have their own views on what I should be doing with it, but please... this is a father and son project that I hope we have lots of fun doing and Daniel can learn how to hold a torch properly 😁

So anyway onto the pics.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:40:08 am by BossHogg76 » Logged
BossHogg76

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 21:15:20 pm »

So now it is safely locked away in a secluded part of Northumberland the list has started, parts are arriving and after school monday 29th April. Daniel and i went up to see it, taking with us tools a jack (those low profile lightweight jacks, really aren't light weight) and some replacement front wheels to replace the ones fitted. There was nothing wrong with the wheels, just that they don't hold air, and as i have some  in stock...why not get Daniel to fit them. So that's what we did, Daniel gave the ragtop his approval and did ask whether we could fit Lamborghini seats, a careful "we'll think about it" meaning No, seemed to satisfy him. So new wheels fitted to the front a quick look over things and we were both smiling. We then moved onto carrying out some CAD (Card Board Aided) design to start on making a new dash plate. Once mocked up we could see that it needs to capture the line of the glove box opening and mirror that. Unfortunately Daniel ran out of enthusiasm so rather than sicken him it was wrap up time and head home with a Chippie tea. Mainly chosen to annoy the wife who had just come in from the gym. Smiley

And some pics:

So that's the start of what i hope will be a fun adventure. The plan is that it is out in 2025, the engine is going to be the crux in that aspiration i think.  

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:44:43 am by BossHogg76 » Logged
Catbox

Slave to internal combustion.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 04:31:29 am »

Looks like an awesome start to a father son project!
aussie

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 04:34:46 am »

Looking forward to this! Miss these threads  Roll Eyes
Eddie DVK

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 07:17:55 am »

Rob,
I am glad you are posting on here.
We could use a good blog on here.

I don t have instagram, so much better to do on here.

Well the start is a good car, enjoy the time with your son.

Keep posting

Regards Eddie

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
richie

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 07:57:11 am »

Nice one Rob Cool   being an old fart i don't do instagram etc so appreciate when people take time to share there projects on forums still Smiley

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: