The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 16:40:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350730 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Jez's VW 1200 sedan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jez's VW 1200 sedan  (Read 2014 times)
JezWest

« on: February 08, 2015, 22:41:05 pm »

Thought it was about time I wrote down some of the stupid things i've done so you don't make the same mistakes, but also some of the better things i've done so you can do the same, if you want to.

Firstly, front wheel bearings. I was replacing my discs last year - swapped to drilled - and put new bearings in there. First mistake was ordering bearings too quickly and ending up with the wrong ones. Nothing like that clunk when the disc seats miles away from where it should be. Having then bought the correct bearings, I figured i'd save time by not removing the race from the disc and just swapping the inner race. This time the disc seated ok, but fouled the caliper. Quite annoyed with everything by now. Called the company I bought the discs from - after swapping a few emails I tore everything off, replayed exactly what I did, measuring everything. Turns out you don't want to mix and match bearing parts - doing so alters the overall width and you don't want that (see pics - correct first, mismatched second)

So order slowly. Check the basket before you buy!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

It was nothing to do with me...
JezWest

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 22:55:20 pm »

Second, I was never happy with the way the accelerator guide tube sat in the fanshroud. It was always loose, needed a wahser to stop it falling in, needed a clamp on the other side (front) of the fanshroud to stop the tube coming out when I pushed the accelerator guide tube from under the car.

So I bought the 'accelerator roller throttle' from Limebug. It fits well, has an actual fixing, looks good, just works. I could see the cable was pretty tight on the top of the original tube and would drag. With a stock carb, this wouldn't be an issue - i'm guessing some linkages will line the cable up perfectly, but mine didn't. With the roller version installed, the pedal feels much smoother - you barely know a cable in involved any more. Here's a pic (bit rubbish, but it's quite a tricky area to catch a picture of with a phone camera!)

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

It was nothing to do with me...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: