The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 23:23:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Adjust the advanced curve w125 and Pertronix distributor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Adjust the advanced curve w125 and Pertronix distributor  (Read 3911 times)
SMO

Typ 1 -61

« on: June 19, 2008, 22:00:44 pm »

Hi !

Need some advice to set my new Pertronix distributor. The engine is a 2332cc with w125 cam and 1.25:1 rockers.
My one thoughts are to run the silver springs, starts with + 3 degrees @ 1500 rpm and use the RED advanced rev limiter , the red one is limited to 20 degrees +

So if i have set the timing to 10 degree @ TDC and with 3500rpm and up i have 30 degree

What do you think ? what combination of springs and rev limiter do you use ?
Or do you comb, silver and bronze or copper springs ?

And how high can i go with w125 cam ?

I also use MSD 6AL box and MSD blaster coil.
// Magnus

Bruce

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 03:30:49 am »

.... and with 3500rpm and up i have 30 degree

Why do you want to have such a slow advance curve?
SMO

Typ 1 -61

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:49:15 am »

I want the idle speed set at ~1000 rpm, and if i use copper springs i have 5 degree + @ 1000 rpm and the effect of that is idle speed starts to rice by it self.
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 16:46:08 pm »

I'm not talking about the advance at idle.  Why do you want the full advance to come in so slowly?
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 17:24:23 pm »

I'm not talking about the advance at idle.  Why do you want the full advance to come in so slowly?

I run a locked distributor, all advance, all the time. 32 degrees

Only hitch is sometimes the starter hates me (cold starts)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 17:42:12 pm »

jim, do you run a 6v or 12v starter? wouldn't a 6v have less difficulty with a cold start?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 18:29:07 pm »

jim, do you run a 6v or 12v starter? wouldn't a 6v have less difficulty with a cold start?

if I had a 109 tooth flywheel, yes.
But I have a 130

I run a Porsche starter (or A/T VW Bug) to help matters. SR17
SMO

Typ 1 -61

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 19:59:53 pm »

Bruce, this is the choice i have with the springs, maybe i can comb. two different springs to get an earlier start and a faster advanced ?

Jim, this is a dayily driver so i donīt think 32 degre and looked advanced is a good caomb on this car Smiley
But i need to know if i can comb different kind of springs?

Here is a link to my car

http://www.ausbrechervwmange.blogspot.com/

Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 18:02:19 pm »

Bruce, this is the choice i have with the springs, maybe i can comb. two different springs to get an earlier start and a faster advanced ?

Jim, this is a dayily driver so i donīt think 32 degre and looked advanced is a good caomb on this car Smiley
But i need to know if i can comb different kind of springs?

Here is a link to my car

http://www.ausbrechervwmange.blogspot.com/

Hi SMO, I drive my car typically 3-4 days a week (right now it is best m.p.g. car  Shocked I own!) I used to run the lightest advance springs (and fattest bushing) in my MSD dist so I had max advance just off of idle. VW motors like alot of initial advance (in my opinion). My nylon sliders in distributor wore, so I just locked advance out. Like I mentioned only drawback is the starter struggles once in a while, but I have spark box wired so it is seperate circuit from starter switch. So I get motor cranking, then fire ignition.
I would make whatever adjustments you can to get max initial advance, without going too far with full advance. I would be most concerned with full advance, and try to have it all in by 15-1700rpm. You're motor will respond much more crisply, I'll bet you lunch.  Grin
Bruce

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 20:31:22 pm »

Try the weakest one plus the next one up together.  Hopefully that will create an advance curve that starts to advance around 900-1000, and is all in well before 3k.  What Jim suggests would be best.  For a point of reference, an 009 is all in by 2500rpm.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: