The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 23:13:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  M & H Slick Question????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: M & H Slick Question????  (Read 2943 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« on: December 08, 2010, 16:23:52 pm »

I had a Pair Of NEW M & H Slicks Mounted on New Flat 4 Wheels. The Slicks Say Tubeless on the Sides and thats how they were Mounted, now here is the Problem they have been sitting in the Garage for three weeks and are both Flat they have not even been mounted on the Car?Huh   I thought it might be the Flat 4 valve stems but I had street tires on the wheels before the slicks with no air loss??  anyone else had this Problem?  do I need to Run Tubes even if the Slicks say Tubeless???  Slicks are new and still have the Stickers on them....  Thanks in advance for any Help Gary

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
The Ideaman

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 17:36:34 pm »

My M&H DOT's did the same thing when tubeless.  One had a slow leak and went flat every other week, and one stayed pumped up.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 18:20:47 pm »

That is normal. Mine do that too.

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 18:41:41 pm »

They tend to leak air through the thin sidewall. It's rare for slicks to stay air tight for very long without tubes.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 21:14:32 pm »

Thanks for the Info Guys Grin Grin    Are there Special Tubes?? or just use a 165X15 Tube?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 21:16:58 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Airspeed

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 21:45:16 pm »

Why not just pump them on the day you're gonna use them? Not having inner tubes has (weight) advantages  Wink

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:45:19 am »

Have you contacted M&H to ask if they can supply the tubes?
The tubes actually add an extra bit of support to the sidewall and tire as a whole, in my opinion. Without them, street-driving is interesting, especially around corners. But, they LOOK cool.
Slicks for regular use can pose problems. I kept mine off the car for the track only.
As you mentioned, the air pressure loss is a problem. Obviously, you'll need to keep the rear of the car on jack stands, or dedicate yourself to filling the religiously. You might consider checking them for leaks in a tub of water. I had a pair mounted tubeless once ... they wouldn't seat on the rim so I used silicone as a 'lubricant' ... may have helped the seal as they almost never needed refilling when stored/garaged.
If you do get tubes, you'll have to drill out the valve stem hole to fit the stem. Now they're dedicated slick rims ... or at least, potentially tube dependent or PTD. Tongue Wink

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
kingsburgphil

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 18:32:54 pm »

The last time I bought new M&H's, I used tubes designed for bias ply tires. The pair I have on my car now are tubeless, and bleed air very slowly (if at all).
And if I have a leaking wheel/tire I use the old fashioned horse trough method of leak detection.  Hope that helps  Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: