The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:22:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  VW Classic 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: VW Classic 2008  (Read 15891 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: June 10, 2008, 06:02:38 am »

Believe it or not... I've never been to any of the past Classic events. My best and longtime childhood friend of 37 years, Bob, talked me into bringing my car. But when I got there and they said it was and extra $15, I tore up my application and threw it away. So I locked the car all up and decided to enjoy the scenery of German art and talk with many friends, both old and new. Later, we learned that the girl at the Registration tent was blowing it, bigtime, and someone finally told her that the car show fee was only $5. As a result, Bob entered the freshly restored 1962 Beetle convertible that he just built for his wife.

Waiting in line.

Here's Bob and Lauri's car. It took four years and a lotta hard work, but the body-off full restoration came out EXCELLENT! I let them borrow a pair of mint condition 1956 plates with 1962 D.M.V. stickers that I've had since 1991.

I prepped the freshly built 40hp. engine and had an extra Bosch 6v sticker. The only right thing to do was to paint the coil semi-gloss black and apply the sticker like his original manual illustrates. The finishing touch, in my opinion.

Der Kleiner Kampfwagens had this vast and fully equipped tented area with all kinds of cars.

While Der Kleiner Panzers had this rather small Westfalia area and only three people showed. Weird.

Actually, upon closer inspection... they ended up, not surprisingly, having the best area of cars, tents, food, cold refreshments, good times, and people.

I've never seen two guys have so much fun with only cups of water. It was crazy.

My favorite and only sport that I indulge in is food. This man demonstrates proper food selection. Well played, Sir.

After seeing that, I opted to utilize my complimentary food ticket. Which, by the way, THANK YOU, D.K.P! You guys are a class act, all the way.

Not only was food well taken care of, but even dessert was as detailed as a Panzer car.

Speaking of Panzer cars...

While not Cal Look, it IS rather interesting. If someone cuts you off... you simply drive over them.

I snuck up behind Dyno and told him that it was nice to see him relaxing and enjoying the event, for a change. When asked how he felt about the whole ordeal, he answered with this hand gesture, and rightly so.

Now THIS is my kind of short bus! Just don't make any quick turns, however. It could render you that which is not unscathed.

I dig talking to old friends. It's good to see that after all of these years, R.K. is still doing his thing.

Always have dug on Manx buggies since I was a kid. This one appears to have the SCUD missile option, of which I was not aware of.

One of the best engine compartments I've seen. Much respect to whomever put this together. A work of art, at very least.

Junior shows his mad towel rack skills. Towel racks... they're not just for the bathroom, anymore. They're SO right now.

Some wannabe brought this blue car. Surprised no one kicked him out.

A beautiful example of a Tatra. Know your car history and read up on this company... if they're still around, they're the third oldest car maker behind Benz and Peugeot. This model has a flat four air-cooled rear engine with dual carbs that developed 52bhp @ 4,000rpm. Quite the six seater for it's day, back in 1950. All hand built in the land of Czech.

The front view. Tatraplan sued Volkswagen for copyright infringement on their production of the Beetle. Hitler found their designer, Hans Ledwinka, and locked him up in prison for almost six years so VW could move forward with production. So does this make the Tatra a cousin or father to the Beetle? YOU decide.

Very nicely done 1960 Type 2 crew cab Bus.

THIS was rather innovative. Built from Type 1 & 3 parts, a rolling bbq setup... perfect for VW events.

Surf music was provided by these cats. Thankfully, it drowned out some of the (c)rap that was sadly playing during parts of the day.

Clean right-hand drive 'vert.

Here are the four cars that we brought; left to right: Lauri's '62 convertible, Bob's '67 Beetle, his younger brother's '67 Beetle, and my car.

After all of our hard work, they called Bob's name and he scored second place in his division. He was stoked. Had we registered the car when we first got there and displayed the undercarriage and trunk, the car would have easily taken first place. Oh well... next year.

Afterwards, we said our goodbyes to everyone and caravanned to a pizza place to celebrate Lauri and Bob's win.

Great day and event. We had a good time and I think my girlfriend stopped and admired every black car there. Every car and motorcycle event, she does that. HAHA!! Good seeing all of ya and nice to meet you, Russell. See y'all at the next VW bash.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:24:14 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:13:21 am »

Nice posts and pics Mark,  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:34:58 am »

Wow thanks for the guided tour Mark! Feels like I was there, except for the missing sunburn...
 Cool

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 13:15:24 pm »

Great pics, thank you!  One problem...we need that pic of the vert and '67s lined up in color!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 14:03:20 pm »

very nice pictures mark   Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 14:24:10 pm »

Great pics, thank you!  One problem...we need that pic of the vert and '67s lined up in color!

Okay, fair enough... I'll get a color version of that shot posted when I get home, later. I gotta go take my sons to school.

I thought that I DID post one up, here:

But that's okay... I have many other shots of those cars, since they all hang out together. Here, we stopped off at a donut shop that wasn't even open yet. Never heard of THAT, before. In this country, they're open either 24hrs. or they open at 5 or 6 am. They must be newbies. HAHA!!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And yes, sunscreen was required that day... even for us locals. Usually in June, it's gloomy so we weren't prepared for the sun to actually make a cameo appearance. HAHA!! Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 14:29:12 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 16:27:13 pm »

No rush, Mark.  I suspected one of them was Java Green, so would like to check it out.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Russell

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 00:40:54 am »

Yes it was great.... great post and yes i got sunburnt while waiting in line for the food (for the 3rd helping) ! It was great to meet you too.

cheers

Best Regards

Russell
cameron shorey

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 00:52:12 am »

I had a great time. This was probably the largest VW Classic yet. I got to meet lots of new faces.

Russell... nice to meet you.

Horsepower, reliability, cheap... pick two.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 02:16:45 am »

No rush, Mark.  I suspected one of them was Java Green, so would like to check it out.

You're correct... Bob's built two Java Green Beetles and one of his younger brothers built one, a few years back. I once owned a 1966 Java Green European Beetle that I bought for $400. LOVED that car. Only spent $20 getting the gas tank boiled out and installed a new fuel filter to get it running. So, like you... I share admiration for that color. As promised... here's the color version.

~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 02:30:58 am »

Very much appreciated!  If I would have been insane enough to keep my car stock, it would end up like that one.  OEM two-tone rims with a thin whitewall just kill me (in a good way).   Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:45:09 am »

You're welcome. Here's a not-so-clear shot of my Java Green '66 on the right. That's my orange '66 on the left and my friend's India Red '60 ragtop in the middle. I just built two engines from scratch for my two cars when this was taken. Only reason I know that is because I recognized the exhausts on both cars. The orange car had a FourTuned merged collector with dual quiet packs nicely tucked. And the green car had a custom system that hid the muffler in the passenger fenderwell. Then, I made a bracket and hung fake factory pea shooters in front of the header.

Java Green cars are awesome!

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 04:56:25 am »

The green car was Mark's Anti Lakewood Sheriff Car. The Orange was the Lakewood Sheriff Magnet.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 05:53:17 am »

John, since your memory runs as efficient as your flat four engine, I should set aside an afternoon so I can buy you lunch. During said time, I can pick your brain and you can tell me all of the things that I've forgotten over the years. I hope you don't get this problem when you get to by MY age. You young lil' whippersnapper.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:27:55 am »

Lets go have several pizza's. Does my memory go away next year?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:58:28 am »

Lets go have several pizza's. Does my memory go away next year?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, piiizza.

Yes, your memory goes away and you'll forget to attend your Dealing With Senility 101 classes like I do.

Sarge's spycam caught this poacher taking the last piece of D.K.P. cake. Such a crime.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:03:40 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 12:50:10 pm »

Member of one club taking the logo piece of cake of another club?  That's gotta be grounds for a rumble!  Or at the very least, a burn-out contest!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Neil Davies

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »

Yes it was great.... great post and yes i got sunburnt while waiting in line for the food (for the 3rd helping) ! It was great to meet you too.

cheers

No surprise you got sunburnt Russell, being Scottish you'd burn at Dubfreeze! I'm half Scot and I get severe Pod-face at all times of year in all weathers, let alone in SoCal in June! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 14:32:54 pm »

Grin

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 16:43:03 pm »

great shots Mark, and commentary.

we should get together sometime for some good mexican foods and beer.

Jim
Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 18:30:26 pm »

great shots Mark, and commentary.

we should get together sometime for some good mexican foods and beer.

Jim

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. Figured I'd post up something for the people that weren't able to attend.

Regarding your suggestion for nutrients and barley pop(s)... bring it on! We can also meet up at a location halfway or I can get out there. Once in awhile, I like to hit Skatelab in Simi Valley on Valley Fair, near you. Super fun indoor skatepark.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 19:29:55 pm »

Which reminds me... what happened to that plan for several of us to get together for several of us to meet at a Mexican restaurant... maybe in the Pasadena area?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 23:34:05 pm »

Dunno... (or don't remember) I never get invited to anything 'cause I don't shower. I'll sit in the patio section so I can talk to you all through the window(s), if need be.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 00:37:04 am »

Dunno... (or don't remember) I never get invited to anything 'cause I don't shower. I'll sit in the patio section so I can talk to you all through the window(s), if need be.

Might of happened before you found us.

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 02:11:06 am »

Member of one club taking the logo piece of cake of another club?  That's gotta be grounds for a rumble!  Or at the very least, a burn-out contest!
                                          I insisted that undernourished Mark eat the last piece, because no one else would, and I didn't have anything to take one piece of cake home. Even Mark refused 10 times because he felt it was sacrilidge, but i finally appealed to his hungrier instinct.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:39 am »

I insisted that undernourished Mark eat the last piece, because no one else would, and I didn't have anything to take one piece of cake home. Even Mark refused 10 times because he felt it was sacrilidge, but i finally appealed to his hungrier instinct.

Yeah, hunger usually takes over logic in my world.

Grin

Which is probably why I understand Homer Simpson so well.

~Sarge
Dave Galassi .

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 13:54:48 pm »

Which reminds me... what happened to that plan for several of us to get together for several of us to meet at a Mexican restaurant... maybe in the Pasadena area?

When in Rome................rhymes with home..............then to Homer.

I'll host the Pasadena vittles fest.  You bad boys pick the date. Just a thought..........every first Sunday of the month is the Pasadena City College swap meet.............TONS (an entire row of audiophiles)  of vinyl and Dead posters for you groove cats and lots of old and collectible goodies..............see the sights, chow the chow. 

Beuller.............Beulller.............
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 15:27:48 pm »

Every first Sunday? HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM, what am I doing? If I could only remember. Man this bugs me . I know there's something going on.

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 16:18:32 pm »

HAHA!!! Yeah, but Glenn... I'm sure that Dave's deal is most likely taking place during the day. Gasoline is cheap and Pasadena isn't far from Fullerton. Or IS it?

Grin

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 17:09:50 pm »

Every first Sunday? HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM, what am I doing? If I could only remember. Man this bugs me . I know there's something going on.

Isn't that when your lawn bowling club meets?  Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: