The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 03:38:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350765 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The wrong use of a perfectly good IDA. Can you guess what its on?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The wrong use of a perfectly good IDA. Can you guess what its on?  (Read 14484 times)
Donny B.

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 21:43:53 pm »

excuse my ignorance but what is the story behind those welded up carbs?

I am sure Doug will chime in, but Gene told me a story about them.  This was back when PRA was outlawing fuel injection (the Bergs were running Hal-tec fuel injection) Gene decided to make some larger carbs.  They used an early IDA as the master for the casting mold.  The early IDAs had less meat than the later ones so when the casting came out of the mold they machined through the body of the carb. They welded them up and remachined them.  Then the bergs changed the mold and the new Berg IDAs were born.  Now if this is incorrect in any way then Doug will probably correct me, but that is pretty much how I remember Gene telling it to me.  Damn I miss him!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Bruce

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 03:55:40 am »

I thought they started with a stock 48 IDA, then welded the crap out of the outside so it could be made into a 58.  Easiest way to make a prototype.
Donny B.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 04:21:10 am »

You could be correct.  Guess we will have to wait until Doug chimes in.  I am relying on my memory and at my age...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: