The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:24:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Researching tranny options...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Researching tranny options...  (Read 3448 times)
bugnut68

« on: January 06, 2011, 00:03:19 am »

I'm looking to figure out what I need for a future transaxle that will be mated up with my currently-in-the-works 2017 engine build.  It's going into a '70 Bug, maintaining IRS set up and driven on the street as well as occasionally bracket-raced on the local 1/8-mile track.  Just wondering what sorts of options I should consider, and what the pros and cons are of things such as close-ratio gears, as I've never had a built transmission before, so I'm a little green on what to look for.

Engine as posted in other threads is a 2017, 8.6:1 compression, dual 45 DRLA Dells, 1-5/8" header with 2.5 inch Dynomax muffler, Steve Tims Stage II heads, scat deep sump, Engle 125 cam with 1.25 ratio rockers, if that helps any. 

Car is currently running the stock 4.12 IRS gearbox that came with it, planning on using tranny straps and an engine brace.  Tires are 165R15's.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:18:40 am »

It's probably going to come down to how much you have to spend, as close gears (especially 1-2) are not cheap. The only other "con" to close gears is that they are louder than stock gears.
With proper preload your stock trans should hold up just fine with 165's. Or it might not! Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:20:29 am »

It's probably going to come down to how much you have to spend, as close gears (especially 1-2) are not cheap. The only other "con" to close gears is that they are louder than stock gears.
With proper preload your stock trans should hold up just fine with 165's. Or it might not! Cheesy

Yeah, I'm thinking if I go stronger, it'll be with stock gears.  I do like to occasionally hit the highway and have no need for super high revs, in particular!
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 03:28:19 am »

Ryan, who are you planning on going with if you do a tranny? Harold Carter did mine way back when I was Bergs. Has a 3.88 r/p, stock gears ratios except 3rd. it's a early 1.31, it's a kick ass tranny and still going strong. Harold is now at Rancho, with Mike Herbert. The tranny guru's are there.  Wink If you do a tranny, do not take short cuts, as far as who does it for for you. You don't want to take it out for something stupid, and then pay again. Not trying to push Rancho, just use a reputable tranny shop. BUT, like what was said, your stock will work with preload. Besides, your using street tires, you will spin them on the line. But if you make better traction, less tire pressure or slicks, then YES, get a tranny done.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Bruce

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:12:17 am »

The only other "con" to close gears is that they are louder than stock gears.
Some are, some aren't. 
It is the helix angle that makes the noise.  Straight cut is the worst, stock helix angle the quietest.  Many of the traditional ratios that have been available for decades have stock helix angles, so they are quiet. Examples are 1.04 and 1.125 4ths.
In between those is a 1.09, with a small helix angle, so it's loud.  Any gear that is advertised as HD, has a small helix angle.

Ryan, I recommend you stick with the stock gear ratios you have now.  Then when you go to the track, run it out in 3rd over the whole quarter.  Then when you want to drive it to LA for the Classic, you've got sane highway gears.
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 14:16:59 pm »

Ryan, I recommend you stick with the stock gear ratios you have now.  Then when you go to the track, run it out in 3rd over the whole quarter.  Then when you want to drive it to LA for the Classic, you've got sane highway gears.

that would be my suggestion as well.
bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 17:43:21 pm »

Thanks for the info, guys.  I planned on running my stock set up until I could afford a built box, just for the sake of beefing things up accordingly.  I'm thinking of either going with Rancho or else German Transaxle of America in Bend, which is only about three hours away from me.  They have a really good reputation, so I may shop local, as it were, when the time comes.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 19:35:22 pm »

Find yourself a SSC IRS box, have a 4.12 put in there and be done with it!

Both the 1.48 3rd and 1.04 4th in my car were much louder than the stock gears.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 21:36:29 pm »

X2SSP trans ARE stronger than there counter parts. My tranny is built around a SSP trans. Don't even need a side plate the side plat that it comes with is ribbed, makes it stronger. Stock, they even come with a 3.88. But .12 is more fun. Good point Zach!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: