The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 16:00:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350705 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Pictures of Type4 412 Cal-look
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pictures of Type4 412 Cal-look  (Read 7976 times)
joozz

« on: May 21, 2010, 22:20:06 pm »

Hello

I'm Joost from Holland. I'm trying to turn over my Volkswagen 412s into a cal-looker. I'm searching for some  pictures to get some ideas
If anyone can post some, would be nice

Attached some pictures from my 412s

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 22:30:31 pm by joozz » Logged
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 22:31:49 pm »

Cool looking 412 dude, drove ad 412 estate for half a year...Tuner boat

If you ask me I think your dub looks far cooler as german looker....hard squat stance big rims and a type 4 motor..

whatever you do its a cool car Smiley
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 22:37:37 pm »

Hello Joost and welcome to the lounge.
I think your car looks awesome as it is. It is a good color to start with for a Cal-Look too. The only thing I might suggest is a little lower in the front and to put some classic Cal-Look wheels on it, like 8 spokes or 2 liter alloys. A QP or tuned exhaust and an Empi steering wheel would also add to the theme.
joozz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 22:43:23 pm »

Hello Joost and welcome to the lounge.
I think your car looks awesome as it is. It is a good color to start with for a Cal-Look too. The only thing I might suggest is a little lower in the front and to put some classic Cal-Look wheels on it, like 8 spokes or 2 liter alloys. A QP or tuned exhaust and an Empi steering wheel would also add to the theme.

Thank you.
2 weeks ago I lowered the front (see picture) My BBS wheels are been repainted. (I like them...  Undecided )

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 22:57:17 pm »

Cool car ! You already have the perfect color, just add some nice wheels. Take a look at some Brasilias for inspiration. Wink

joozz

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 23:10:57 pm »

Cool car ! You already have the perfect color, just add some nice wheels. Take a look at some Brasilias for inspiration. Wink

Talking about cool cars, This one is very cool. I never seen one of these in real life !
tuna

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 23:22:51 pm »

I love the look of your 412! For many years I've been a Type 4 fan. Grin

I've always felt that the 411/412 series is better suited for a German Look. It's got the more modern lines that lend itself to blasting down the Autobahn versus a drag strip. The strut front suspension, the trailing a-arms, and torquey Type 4 engine are benefits to using the 411/412 to drive fast in the corners.  Shocked

Here's a 411 from France that was more Cal-Look:

-- Tuna

My VWs - http://tunacan.org/cars/
Type 4: Secrets Revealed - http://tunacan.net/t4/
EMPI Imp Homepage - http://tunacan.net/imp/
Tom's Type 4 Corner - http://tunacan.net/t4corner/
plasticblack

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:25:50 am »

Nice Ride.

It's always nice to see something a little different  Cool

I'd love to see some more less common VW's hitting the streets?  Smiley
kev d

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 10:16:46 am »

Cool choice Cool
Heres a pic of my old 411, really liked it but too many other cars at the time.. Roll Eyes
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 14:05:43 pm »

Randy Carlson's wagon is WAY kool Cool

DKP III
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 23:32:04 pm »

looks like you bought that 412 off Walter. cool car.
i think it's quite a challenge to build a fine looker off a 412 as it's quite late in the era of cal-look. that brasilia nico posted looks hard as nails, but 411s and 412s always end up looking quite custom or german-looking. good on you though if you're up for the task!!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 05:14:56 am »

During my era, Type 4s were not really cal-looked.

Probably because they weren't a lot of them in So-Cal and they weren't any cheaper than a similar T3. Also doing a T4 motor was more expensive than a T1 or T3.

I can think of only one T4 that was done at all. It was pretty mild just lowered with 4 lug chromies and caps. It was owned by a guy I knew through Speedway Motorcycle racing. We wrenched for different riders.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 06:27:11 am »

Joost,
 What are the specifications of a 412s? What makes them different from a normal 412? In the States we only saw one version with Fuel Injection. I'm not even sure if a manual transmission was available. They sold mainly to older more refined customers, not as a performance car.

The BBS wheels on your car do make it look like it would be a very nice handling GT car. There are alot of hills with twisting roads here in Southern California as well as straight asphalt, and I think a good Cal-Look car is part Drag Racer and part GT car. All you need to do is work on the Drag Race part! Grin
Bruce
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:35:54 am by 61SNRF » Logged
low oval
DKK

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 08:04:46 am »

my parents had a 73 412.  I used to drive that thing everywhere, it was a nice car had a manual tranny, only problem it ever had was something broke with the shifter, and became a constant problem.  I remember seeing that was lowered with riviera's.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
joozz

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 09:57:58 am »

looks like you bought that 412 off Walter. cool car.

It was Walters car, i bought it last year !
joozz

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 10:04:24 am »

Probably because they weren't a lot of them in So-Cal and they weren't any cheaper than a similar T3. Also doing a T4 motor was more expensive than a T1 or T3.

I can think of only one T4 that was done at all. It was pretty mild just lowered with 4 lug chromies and caps. It was owned by a guy I knew through Speedway Motorcycle racing. We wrenched for different riders.
No pics from that car ?
Joost,
 What are the specifications of a 412s? What makes them different from a normal 412? In the States we only saw one version with Fuel Injection. I'm not even sure if a manual transmission was available. They sold mainly to older more refined customers, not as a performance car.

The BBS wheels on your car do make it look like it would be a very nice handling GT car. There are alot of hills with twisting roads here in Southern California as well as straight asphalt, and I think a good Cal-Look car is part Drag Racer and part GT car. All you need to do is work on the Drag Race part! Grin
Bruce

It handels very good. Your idea about Cal-look is the same as i have
Dimi DKG

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 10:23:14 am »

and now for something completely different... I kile the "lateral thinking" that went into that, colour is great, would look really well under California sun. However, I think this car is more suited to a German look transformation. Put some realy big large Porsche wheels on it, dark metallic colour or solid hue like this one, big engine, big brakes... you're onto a winner, something really fast and special indeed. How about a "sleeper" 412 with a 3.2 231 HP Carrera engine in the back, 5 speed box and brakes and wheels to go along? Autobahn sucks! Grin Just image the face of AMG, M BMW and other fast cars when you blink your indicator to overtake them...now that's COOL!

Sunshine, IDAs on 76 gas and Cal look friends... the real spice of life!
joozz

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 10:55:15 am »

and now for something completely different... I kile the "lateral thinking" that went into that, colour is great, would look really well under California sun. However, I think this car is more suited to a German look transformation. Put some realy big large Porsche wheels on it, dark metallic colour or solid hue like this one, big engine, big brakes... you're onto a winner, something really fast and special indeed. How about a "sleeper" 412 with a 3.2 231 HP Carrera engine in the back, 5 speed box and brakes and wheels to go along? Autobahn sucks! Grin Just image the face of AMG, M BMW and other fast cars when you blink your indicator to overtake them...now that's COOL!

Can you read mind's ? For a month ago I bought 993 rearbreaks for my 412 front. Also a new set of 911 C4 (3.2) front disc's (24mm).
Here a picture.

Rearbrakes are from a Porsche 964 C2.
The previous owner also owns a beetle with turbo ! 380hp !.
Maybe next year a nice project for me to install a turbo. He warned me it's not as easy as its seems. The engine is already prepared for a turbo, it's already dry-sump.
There is also a DTA S60pro installed, enough options available
volkskris

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 13:15:01 pm »

you could go with his second setup 2litre. pauter ratio rockers, standard block and suby turbo. he got 270 out of that setup.
joozz

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 13:35:03 pm »

you could go with his second setup 2litre. pauter ratio rockers, standard block and suby turbo. he got 270 out of that setup.
270 More than enough !
Next year, first the body
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 17:56:09 pm »

No pics from that car ?

Sorry, no pics. It was a daily driver kind of car. I never saw it at a show or really any VW events.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Neil Davies

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 20:03:32 pm »

With those brakes you might struggle to fit Cal Look wheels on, but how about a set of 16" fuchs detailed like earlier ones?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 20:47:15 pm »

cool suggestion neil. but i doubt that's what he's after...  Undecided

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 12:38:43 pm »

I know he mentioned he wants to keep his BBS, but I have to be honest, in my opinion it will NOT be a cal looker on a late, modern style rim. I agree with Neil, Fuchs 16's when detailed can look REALLY good....

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 16:11:45 pm »

I'm not a fan of the 411/412 at all... but Fuchs would improve it a lot. I'm thinking "flat" 15x6's up front, and 16x7's in the rear.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
joozz

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 19:55:11 pm »

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your comments. German look it will be !
All the Mod's I have in mind suites much more a German look than a Cal-look.

Greetings,
Joost
tuna

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 22:30:41 pm »

Check out this page from my web site on the 411/412 car:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4corner/custom/raceday412.shtml

My VWs - http://tunacan.org/cars/
Type 4: Secrets Revealed - http://tunacan.net/t4/
EMPI Imp Homepage - http://tunacan.net/imp/
Tom's Type 4 Corner - http://tunacan.net/t4corner/
joozz

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 23:05:26 pm »

Check out this page from my web site on the 411/412 car:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4corner/custom/raceday412.shtml

Very Nice. Do you know some more info about the technical mods on that car ?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: