The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 19:49:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350706 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Pertronix Billet Dizzy for T1 - a word of caution and warning !!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pertronix Billet Dizzy for T1 - a word of caution and warning !!  (Read 1843 times)
Shane Noone

« on: June 25, 2012, 11:10:49 am »

Guys, just wanted to share my experiences with you and anyone either running or thinking of buying one of these units.

Mine is about a year old and recently we had noticed when trying to check / set the ignition timing with our snap on gun that at low speed you could kind of check the timing and the light wouyld hold steady but as you started to pick up the pace it would become very erratic and impossible to read jumping one way then the other.

We took the cap off to check the internals and found what seemed to be quite a bit of "play" in the advance mechanism going the wrong way. So you could turn the mech by hand to see it open out but when you could also turn it counter from rest.

It turned out there was quite a lot of play where the advance mech slots over the end of the driveshaft which is kind of crimped over to prevent the mech lifting off again.

We had to apply some weld to secure the shaft to the advance mech to stop this movement and re-install. Re calibrated the timing with the gun and now the light is nice and steady at higher engine speeds.

So be warned, and check your dizzys if you already have one of these as you timing could be swinging wildly - ouch.
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:30:24 am »

I know.

Ended up with a 1000$ set at MSD Wink

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 13:22:20 pm »

I have never seen that. but I have experinced that they either "hang" in the curve, not wanting to come down from about 20 degrees of advance to idle (10) Or the other way around wouldnt go past about 22 degrees on the way up. In all cases I had to replace the entire rotorhead then things began to work normal again.
Once they work, they are about as good as an MSD. But it does take some fiddling around.

But hey, its still better than the 1-2-3 dizzy  Roll Eyes Grin

T
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: