The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 22:18:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  JHU - What are you doing??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: JHU - What are you doing??  (Read 12453 times)
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« on: October 22, 2007, 12:53:29 pm »

We all know one them... you know, the guys that just cant stop pushing the limits. Well, I had the pleasure to spend my Sunday with one them and we all know him as JHU. Dear friend, before I start to seriously think your a nutcase could please inform The Lounge why;

1) You take your car out on a rainy day in October
2) On slippery tires
3) Drive like a mad man up a steep hill
4) Scare the shit of a innocent person doing his job
5) DRIFTING??

And

6) Why are your IDA`s so small?

BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 13:53:23 pm »

Another on "in action"

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 14:01:50 pm »

We all know one them... you know, the guys that just cant stop pushing the limits. Well, I had the pleasure to spend my Sunday with one them and we all know him as JHU. Dear friend, before I start to seriously think your a nutcase could please inform The Lounge why;

2) On slippery tires
5) DRIFTING??

And

BB

Well BeetleBug, let me explain how all this came to be.

It all started the night of first of May. I stepped in as driver of "The Hot Owl" in "Vestfold Open", a illegal but professionally run street race event.
With a very mild 1915 I got as far as into the finals, but i lost by a cars length.
I decided there and then, the "big" engine has to come together, even though the Time bandit is still far from finished.

From there on I worked on the engine in the "play" time I had, but I cut it too close, as the work needed to make my field car* stand up to the engine, took more time than I thought.

Now to your questions:

1) Since I didn't get the car running for the last drag event this year, I had to do SOMETHING! But the car is set up for drag racing with to much rake (haven’t had time to re adjust it) but hey, its all for fun!

2) The tires are the widest tires I own.... eighties "SLX 5000" 235/60.... the reason I need wide tires comes back in point 6 

3) Well, I have a heavy right foot... and it is sort of expected of you at a HILLCLIMB :-)

4) This point too has to do with point 6 and to a certain degree with point 2, The mentioned tires lost all traction in second gear, because of point 6. To cut a long story short the rear end tried to pass me going up a straight section, so I ended up in the ditch with my two left hand tires, and I bet that guards got a bit scared but I got onto the road again and put my foot back in it again.

5) Drifting is supposed to be controlled an intentional right...  well I didn't do any of that then!

6) My IDA’s are perfectly normal size, its the intakes that are short 2,5 inch center line. Due to my limited experience in engine combos and a big interest in engine tech stuff, I realize that I cant afford to build a lot of engines to get experience. Therefore this engine built after what I have seen in Engine Analyzer, with a few limiting factors.
The limiting factors are: Narrow engine, Seventies look, Easy on the valvetrain, And 78.4x94 size.
With EA it was not hard to see that short intakes would give me a lot power that otherwise would be lost. But when those runners suddenly match the rpm, all hell brakes lose... and the rear end tries to pass me over. Even when in full throttle at fourth gear... myself I blame it on the tires. But up to 6500-7000 rpms it runs like a normal IDA engine.. if there are such a thing 

I had a great time this weekend, thanks for coming out as moral support!
Next year THIS car will be closer to a Slalom racer.  Grin

* "Field Car" is a phrase in Norway for old beat up cars used by young guys on the fields. 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 14:21:45 pm »

2) On slippery tires
5) DRIFTING??

And

BB

Well BeetleBug, let me explain how all this came to be.

It all started the night of first of May. I stepped in as driver of "The Hot Owl" in "Vestfold Open", a illegal but professionally run street race event.
With a very mild 1915 I got as far as into the finals, but i lost by a cars length.
I decided there and then, the "big" engine has to come together, even though the Time bandit is still far from finished.

From there on I worked on the engine in the "play" time I had, but I cut it too close, as the work needed to make my field car* stand up to the engine, took more time than I thought.

Now to your questions:

1) Since I didn't get the car running for the last drag event this year, I had to do SOMETHING! But the car is set up for drag racing with to much rake (haven’t had time to re adjust it) but hey, its all for fun!

2) The tires are the widest tires I own.... eighties "SLX 5000" 235/60.... the reason I need wide tires comes back in point 6 

3) Well, I have a heavy right foot... and it is sort of expected of you at a HILLCLIMB :-)

4) This point too has to do with point 6 and to a certain degree with point 2, The mentioned tires lost all traction in second gear, because of point 6. To cut a long story short the rear end tried to pass me going up a straight section, so I ended up in the ditch with my two left hand tires, and I bet that guards got a bit scared but I got onto the road again and put my foot back in it again.

5) Drifting is supposed to be controlled an intentional right...  well I didn't do any of that then!

6) My IDA’s are perfectly normal size, its the intakes that are short 2,5 inch center line. Due to my limited experience in engine combos and a big interest in engine tech stuff, I realize that I cant afford to build a lot of engines to get experience. Therefore this engine built after what I have seen in Engine Analyzer, with a few limiting factors.
The limiting factors are: Narrow engine, Seventies look, Easy on the valvetrain, And 78.4x94 size.
With EA it was not hard to see that short intakes would give me a lot power that otherwise would be lost. But when those runners suddenly match the rpm, all hell brakes lose... and the rear end tries to pass me over. Even when in full throttle at fourth gear... myself I blame it on the tires. But up to 6500-7000 rpms it runs like a normal IDA engine.. if there are such a thing 

I had a great time this weekend, thanks for coming out as moral support!
Next year THIS car will be closer to a Slalom racer.  Grin

* "Field Car" is a phrase in Norway for old beat up cars used by young guys on the fields. 

Short Manifolds are the Hot Setup They Work Great, Period Correct ,and Clear the Deck Lid with no Problem, plus the Bolt Pattern is reversed so the fuel lines are on the outside making it easier to get to the mixture screws which face the fan shroud for tuning the carbs

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 14:27:01 pm »

Short manifold + wet conditions = big cajunas   Cheesy Dangerous stuff those manifolds  - just ask the poor guys that is probably still hiding in the woods down there.

Thanks for making my day JHU - this was great fun! Made me reconsider my plans for my blue 65 for sure, it only needs a pair of short manifolds to be race ready.

BB

nicolas

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 14:41:04 pm »

well just by the few pictures it looks like a lot of fun! where can i find that engine calculator BTW?

reagrds

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 14:48:13 pm »

Not only did you do well in the race but you totally dominated the show class! Killer stance and attitude is better than bling bling and polished cars  Cool

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 14:58:44 pm »

Short Manifolds are the Hot Setup They Work Great, Period Correct ,and Clear the Deck Lid with no Problem, plus the Bolt Pattern is reversed so the fuel lines are on the outside making it easier to get to the mixture screws which face the fan shroud for tuning the carbs

I can’t see anything wrong with them, except that they are lethal. And that they are not available over the shelf for CE, I made mine from a "short" dual port set and the bottom inch of a CE set.

well just by the few pictures it looks like a lot of fun! where can i find that engine calculator BTW?

Trust me it was FUN :-D
Engine Analyzer can be bought from Performance Trends Inc
http://www.performancetrends.com/EA30.htm

But please note that you need a lot of data to estimate your engine, like REAL flow figures for the actual heads and such. But there are a lot of VW heads in the library of the program to.
And it doesn’t give you suggestions you just have to change stuff and se how the simulation turns out.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 19:07:39 pm »

jon is the front wheels are the same as the on in the super vw this year Huh? from that seller Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 20:15:17 pm »

Yes Fabian, should be the same wheels.

I got a little test drive with JHU a couple of weeks back, and I must say that engine is mighty impressive!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 20:18:35 pm by Rune » Logged
ESH

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 20:50:37 pm »

Looks like someone had fun over the weekend  Cool

Eddie DVK

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 20:51:35 pm »

Cool wheels, never seen those before.....

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 22:02:12 pm »

I can’t see anything wrong with them, except that they are lethal. And that they are not available over the shelf for CE, I made mine from a "short" dual port set and the bottom inch of a CE set.

Trust me it was FUN :-D
Engine Analyzer can be bought from Performance Trends Inc
http://www.performancetrends.com/EA30.htm

But please note that you need a lot of data to estimate your engine, like REAL flow figures for the actual heads and such. But there are a lot of VW heads in the library of the program to.
And it doesn’t give you suggestions you just have to change stuff and se how the simulation turns out.

any pictures of your manifolds you made? 

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Speed-demon

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 22:27:56 pm »

Congratulations Jon Hroar!! Nice car, nice pics and seems to be a nice engine!! My new engine is a 2332 with ported Street Eliminators and short manifolds. Looking forward to test drive it!! Pls let me know when the next race is taking place. I'm willing to sacrifice some night's sleep to participate in events like that (talking from experience... always "stessmekk" in front of the events)!!!

My question is: I thought a real car was driven to the race and back home.... what is that trailer doing there???

BR

Jens Kristian
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 22:32:47 pm »

My question is: I thought a real car was driven to the race and back home.... what is that trailer doing there???

BR

Jens Kristian

Only passive drivers go to a race day without a trailer   Cool

Speed-demon

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 22:37:29 pm »

BR

Jens Kristian

Only passive drivers go to a race day without a trailer   Cool

Or drivers who drive undriveable cars...... Or cars that break down.... Or..... Or....
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 09:25:42 am »

"any pictures of your manifolds you made?"  

Not JHU manifolds and these are longer - but then again the carbs are shorter compared to IDA`s. The carb on the picture are mounted on a 1915ccm NA street engine dynoed 244hp.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:27:43 am by BeetleBug » Logged

Rasser

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 11:11:06 am »

Not JHU manifolds and these are longer - but then again the carbs are shorter compared to IDA`s. The carb on the picture are mounted on a 1915ccm NA street engine dynoed 244hp.

The 244hp IS mighty impressive, but please note that it is NOT a street car if it doesn´t have cooling - seriously you need a fanshroud on that engine before it enters the "street" class. but ok let´s say it still has 230hp with the fanshroud mounted - still IMPRESSIVE!

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 11:18:12 am »

The 244hp IS mighty impressive, but please note that it is NOT a street car if it doesn´t have cooling - seriously you need a fanshroud on that engine before it enters the "street" class. but ok let´s say it still has 230hp with the fanshroud mounted - still IMPRESSIVE!

You`re right, of course it needs cooling before you take it to the streets but that`s about it. Thanks for correcting my answer.

Best rgs
BB

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 12:17:22 pm »

Shubee and all, sorry for this dirty picture. This engine is just a test of my engine settup, the cooling is just stuff I had laying around.
And it will run with the magneto in the future, but its still in the states for its tuneup.

Now back to the manifolds, here is a not to good closeup of them:

The IDAs are tall carbs, so they need to come down a bit to keep the runner lenght sensible, but I like the look to!

Again sorry for the dirty pictures  Wink
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 16:47:44 pm by JHU » Logged

Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 15:42:54 pm »

Johannes usually has full cooling on this engine does'nt he?
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 15:56:35 pm »

Yes he does Rune!

Roman

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 19:36:16 pm »

JHU, I can get my hands on some compomotive split wheels made for a hillclimb and slalom bug, 4 x 130 bolt pattern.
1 set 13" kidney beans.  3 rears and three fronts!
1 set 14" but I forgot how they looked...Three rears and three fronts.

Brand spanking new and with matching slicks and gravel tires, but I don't know the width.
The reason there is three of each is in case if something happens to one wheel there is one extra ready to mount.
These wheels are really light and is the sh!t to use on slalom and hillclimb. They are silly expensive new but I can get a really good price for the two sets.

Just PM me. 
Rasser

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 22:32:43 pm »

Johannes usually has full cooling on this engine does'nt he?

It would be quite interesting to know how much it makes with generator/fanduct/powerpulley...  and then compare this with the figures without cooling.

Cool manifolds by the way - I love when someone has put som thoughts into their project and not just built a "mail order engine".  actually it could be fun to run your engine on the dyno with these manifolds and then again with "std." manifolds  -  will this happen ?

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 12:07:47 pm »

I will not change manifolds I think. But I will make some adjustable stacks to fine tune the engine on a dyno. The result will be the same.
In theory I can have different stacks for different uses, like drag, street and as here, hill climb. 

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 14:28:45 pm »

is that a brute andeck pulley?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 14:37:34 pm »

Not sure what you mean with "brute" but yes, its a small Andeck...

JS

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 21:04:36 pm »

It would be quite interesting to know how much it makes with generator/fanduct/powerpulley...  and then compare this with the figures without cooling.

Cool manifolds by the way - I love when someone has put som thoughts into their project and not just built a "mail order engine".  actually it could be fun to run your engine on the dyno with these manifolds and then again with "std." manifolds  -  will this happen ?
[/quote]

I think the "old" version of his engine which I can´t remember the dyno numbers for, had a difference of 14hp with the fan belt on.
Mine dynoed a difference of 11.

Signature.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: