The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 15:09:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350729 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Tie Rod Ends
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tie Rod Ends  (Read 2103 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: December 02, 2007, 18:43:19 pm »

Almost got the '67 back together. Hoping to fire off the engine tonight and take it for a test spin. Quick question on tie rod ends. All my manuals say to tighten the tie rod ends until you can put a cotter pin in the hole. Well the new tie rod ends I got have the nylocs and no hole for cotter pins. Any idea on how much to tighten them? Second, any tips on how to keep the bolt from turning?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
JS

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 19:52:32 pm »

I use the air driven tool that you use for the wheel bolts. Canīt remember what itīs called in english.
Push the tie rod end down while you tighten it. Or get a friend to stand on it. Should do the job.

Signature.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 22:50:17 pm »

Almost got the '67 back together. Hoping to fire off the engine tonight and take it for a test spin. Quick question on tie rod ends. All my manuals say to tighten the tie rod ends until you can put a cotter pin in the hole. Well the new tie rod ends I got have the nylocs and no hole for cotter pins. Any idea on how much to tighten them? Second, any tips on how to keep the bolt from turning?

Thanks,

--louis
are you using Dropped Spindles?   because they use 68 and Later Outer Ends the 67's are Smaller? Remember Nylocks are Only Good for One Time? Do Not Reuse them I would also put a drop of Locktite  if there is no Cotter Pins

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 22:55:25 pm »

Hammer the tie rod down with a rubber mallet to get it to seat, then you should have no problem tightening it.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

Thanks guys, I got it on. Yeah the 67 vs 69 thing bit me on the inner pass side tie rod. (One the steering dampener goes in.) I got the new one Friday and put it on today. So thats all done.  However, when I was putting on the last clamp for the shortened sway bar, the spot welds broke on one end. So now I need to call CB tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. Oh the joys of modifying VWs.  Roll Eyes

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 23:19:34 pm »

Called up CB Performance today to ask about getting a replacement sway bar clamp for the one I broke. I told them I would be willing to pay for a new one since I broke it. They told me not to worry and they would take care of it. Now I am pretty loyal when it comes to buying stuff and I usually only buy from a handful of places. (Berg, CB, Wolfsburgwest, DRD, AC.NET and my FLAPS, Eastern Imports) With all the horror stories lately, I stick with places I know. And today's call to CB reconfirmed why I do that. Good customer service and quality parts. And when there is a problem, they fix it.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: