The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:30:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350739 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  would you ever go back? I will never, ever.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: would you ever go back? I will never, ever.  (Read 4336 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: April 14, 2008, 21:57:05 pm »

Will you ever go back to driving a bone stock VW?

No way in hell, no matter how old I get. I don't mind driving other's stock VW's but I could never keep my sanity driving a stock motor around. Nothing wrong with them if you have all day to get on the freeway or climb a hill. And that tootle sound from the muffler.... ICK. At least give me Kadrons and a QP muffler.

I don't get the "charm" of driving a stock Volkswagen. They're fine around town (if town is prairie flat) but forget it on a freeway.
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 22:01:32 pm »

it's fun to drive a bone stock vw on the freeway!!!  once you hit the speed limit of course (1/2 hour later)  Grin

There is nothing better than driving a stock type 3 on the freeway dude....

I'll buy a new battery for the Notch and let you drive it.. Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 22:05:30 pm »

it's fun to drive a bone stock vw on the freeway!!!  once you hit the speed limit of course (1/2 hour later)  Grin

There is nothing better than driving a stock type 3 on the freeway dude....

I'll buy a new battery for the Notch and let you drive it.. Grin

Roll Eyes
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 22:06:36 pm »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy    Kiss

Der Kleiner Panzers
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 22:37:41 pm »

I wouldn't mind having an early split fully restored to putter around in. To me the variety is all part of the fun.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 22:40:26 pm »

To each their own... I dig 'em both. In a perfect world, I'd have a bone stock '67 and a Cal Look one with a huge engine and built transmission. Since I financially can't have both, I'm building something in between. I remember going to the Porsche or VW dealers in the '60s and buying our new VWs. So riding in or driving a stock one makes me smile and reminds me to slow down my life a little, every now and then. On the other hand, I love to drive fast, other times.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 00:24:59 am »

Sorry but I've never had a desire at any time to drive a stock VW. The only purpose to owning one is to Cal-Look!!

Anyone can restore a VW... it takes a real man to Cal-Look it!!  Wink Wink Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 02:32:30 am »

BONE stock? Nope. It will at least have more compression, a bored venturi, some head work, and a c/w crank Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
stealth67vw

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:53:22 am »

Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As long as gasoline is sold, I will never have a 100% stock engine. At a very minimum a header, Kadrons, ratio rockers and a power pulley. I drove my current 67 for a few weeks with a 100% stock 1600 single port before I pulled it out, removed the barrel shims, added some 87s I had lying around, dual port heads, 1.25 rockers on Berg shafts, power pulley, dual Solex carbs, merged header with dual qps, Bosch 010 with a Pertronix, 14lb flywheel with a Scat Gland nut torqued to 350lbs. and a MSD 6AL. It is still not enough but I have to have patiences until my hot as hell 2165 is done.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Sam K

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 05:07:54 am »

I'd probably get bored with it pretty quickly, but I wouldn't mind having a really nice unrestored stock '67 to cruise when my other '67 was down.  I actually have a decent little '63 body on a '73 pan that's stock aside from dropped spindles and 8 spokes. I was thinking about putting it back on the road if gas prices get much higher as a work and back car.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 05:49:47 am »

i'm driving a 63 ghia with a 1600, dual kads and a header.  thats about as slow as i can go.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
ESH

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:04:15 am »

When I got my first Bug it was on crossplies and in the wet was great fun (?!). With the total lack of power I just drove it flat out pretty much everywhere and whilst it wasn't fast it was a good car to drive for what it was but I don't think I miss it really. I remember that engine being at its best just before the stock exhast collapsed having rusted out so if I did end up with a stock motor I'd probably change the header/mufler at the very least. The last thing I'd do is get a brand new genuine VW exhaust for it!  I liked the fact that with the prescribed maintenance it'd take pretty much anything you could throw at it. I got the car as its third owner at around (I think) the 57K mile mark and it lasted me until just under 120K at which point #3 had an episode. Another stock Bug I liked was a late Oval belonging to a friend which had had a thorough restoration and used to drive beautifully but I think the lack of pace even in that would probabaly frustrate me beyond keeping it stock. For that one car though I could possibly make an exception and try to live with it since it was one of the most complete Bugs I have got to know but it would be a tough call. Thinking about it even the guy that had it restored actually wanted to see a 2332 in the back of it.

Smiley
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 13:43:42 pm »

I think I'll leave my split original for a very long while. It has it's charm. Whining 1st & 2nd gears, no synchromesh, no accellerator pump, no vacuum advance.
 My '68 will get its engine tweaked. I think it's nice to have both.

The fun of a car isn't owning it, but driving it. And for me both a restricted 25bhp, as well as raw 150hp will do the job...

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: