The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:01:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Mystery brake fluid leak?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mystery brake fluid leak?  (Read 2029 times)
stayster

« on: October 10, 2016, 03:51:50 am »

I did my vert in the Cal Look style approximately 19 years ago. Rebuilt everything including the mechanical's. As it was pretty much a basket case when I got it.

However I have a weird one now. In the last month 2 wet spots have appeared under the front end of the car. Since there is no coolant lines up front I thought it was strange, but I  wiped them up and moved on. Drove the car, when I got back, I be came suspicious of it so I checked the brake fluid, it was really low, filled it up with Brake fluid. It sat for another 2 weeks; today, I check the brake fluid again, It was almost empty.

Now 2 large wet spots under each front wheel area. So I pulled the Jack out, suspecting the calipers are leaking or the newer brake lines (19 years ago). Karmann Ghia disc brakes were added 19 years ago. No luck the calipers look great the brake lines look great, both are bone dry; however the front pan on both sides appears to be a little damp but no obvious signs of where it is coming from. Also the front metal brake lines above the pan appear dry as well. 

The master cylinder was replaced along with the brake lines to the brake fluid reservoir.

Any suggestions before I start tearing into it a lot more to find a leak?

All of the leaking occurs with out applying the brake pedal.

Thanks

Fiatdude

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:46 am »

Check all the rubber parts -- I had the lines going from the reservoir to the MC start leaking -- was difficult to find as it weep and run down the line -- as your leak isn't affecting your pedal, I'd start there   

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
alex d

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:11:25 am »

yeah check the lines from the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder, that blue hose is probably long gone
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: