The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 16:44:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  What happens with my heating when my foot is on the floor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What happens with my heating when my foot is on the floor?  (Read 2760 times)
JezWest

« on: October 23, 2016, 09:38:53 am »

I run a 1972 1200 with a 1776cc motor with Dellorto DRLA 40s. I have CSP heater boxes and a Python exhaust.

All is well, apart from the nagging feeling that I need an 82mm crank in there!

Now the weather has just cooled off in the UK, I'm using the heating again. I've noticed that when I get my foot flat on the floor, when only pulling low RPMs, that I smell fuel in the car. Not exhaust, fuel. Once I back off the throttle, it clears quickly. I never notice this on small throttle openings. I've taken to shutting the heat off on the one big hill I regularly drive. Mostly it's not an issue: I only get my foot on the floor ( in winter ) on that hill and if I'm being an idiot in traffic.

But why? I've checked all the fuel lines rigorously and there are no leaks.

I figure the basic issue is having a carburettor throats right next to the fan. Maybe when I have my foot down at low RPMs, I generate a lot of fuel stand off and the fan draws it into the heating air?

I don't think I'm doing myself much harm: I have so much heat that I always have a window open an inch even in the brutal English winter (!). I guess a vented decklid, lighter right foot, some ducting around the carbs might help. I suppose not having dual carbs would fix it, but that isn't happening as I'm not really a turbo guy.

It was nothing to do with me...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 10:34:51 am »

Yes, fuel stand-off, mixed with accelerator pumps dumping extra fuel – foot to the floor at low rpm will do it every time. Not enough rpm (vacuum) to pull fuel vapour through.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 15:34:19 pm »

Yes, fuel stand-off, mixed with accelerator pumps dumping extra fuel – foot to the floor at low rpm will do it every time. Not enough rpm (vacuum) to pull fuel vapour through.

I agree. Never experienced that on a type one though.

Open stacks or filters?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
JezWest

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 19:14:56 pm »

I have filters. Maybe I'll run that hill in third.

JezWest

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:24:12 am »

The standoff is there because there is fuel/air mix travelling down the manifold and that flow gets interrupted by the valve shutting and the mix 'bounces' off the valve? If I have that right, do fuel injected cars have stand off? I guess that if you inject fuel into the cylinder, then no; but if you inject fuel above the valve, then yes. Does that make any sense?

Amazes me how many of these things I've never wondered about before.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: