The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:43:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  78mm crank ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 78mm crank ?  (Read 3381 times)
glassback kid

« on: December 12, 2016, 11:18:56 am »

just want to run this past people, getting my head confused at the moment, i was originally planning/massing parts for building a 1914cc type1, so i currently have new mahle 94mm normal stroke barrels and pistons, However a new 78mm crank has come my way and it would be the first time building a stroker motor, so if i was to use the above B&Ps i guess these will need around a 4.5mm shimming to accommodate the stroke increase ?  am i best stepping the case a few mm when machined and use a smaller shim ? would the use of shorter rods be better, obviously everything has to be mocked up numerous times to get all clearences/figures spot on just trying to get it all together in my head
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 18:15:54 pm »

It can be done but if this is your first engine I would skip it. 74mm plays nicely with standard pin height pistons (especially with short rods), after that you will run into more issues than it is worth. Skirts interfere with the crank at BDC, engine grows wider, tins won't fit, etc. However, if it is a good quality crank (not cast) then it may be worth looking into swapping your pistons for strokers and building it up the right way.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 23:22:18 pm »

I'd get rid of the 69mm stroke pistons and barrels and get the right ones for the 78mm crank. Modified stock rods (Rimco, etc), 40x35.5 heads, Engle 130 and a pair of decent sized carbs. Old school but proven.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 23:56:47 pm »

If you have the ability to swap the stock-stroke 94mm for the stroker type, you will see how easy building a 78mm stroke engine is. The bottom end doesn't need much in clearance-grinding of case (regardless of using A or B type pistons), especially with some kind of aftermarket rod. If you use the B type piston, designed for stroker, then the top end goes together almost like stock stroke motor. If you use the stock stroke 94 (for 1914 etc), you get to juggle cylinder spacers, pushrods, rocker pads ,and then slot cylinder covers and trim deflectors to get everything together.

Stroker 94's are lighter too.

glassback kid

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 12:32:12 pm »

thanks for the input guys, thought i would be causing problems trying to build with the 78mm and A pistons, i think i will stay with original plan of using 69mm crank as i have already put time and work into match weighting the pistons so dont fancy buying another set at this moment in time, the 78mm crank can get shelved or sold on for now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: