The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 23:54:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350727 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Erco 6"x15 Backspacing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Erco 6"x15 Backspacing  (Read 3554 times)
1950split

« on: June 16, 2011, 13:45:38 pm »

Hi guys,

I need your help on this. I own a 1958 ragtop beetle with a fully synchronized trans, short axles and Kersher brakes. I'm using 25mm spacers with my 6" deep Fuchs.

I'm now considering the purchase of a set of Erco rims. What Backspacing on the rims should I use? I thought that 3.5" is fine however I was told that this backspacing requires 1" wider rear fenders. Is this correct. I have been suggested to use 2.5" backspacing but I'm afraid that the tire would rub against my CSP Python silencer.

Which backspacing are you, users of Erco rims, running ?

Thanks

Phil
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 13:49:25 pm »

3 1/2 inch backspace

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
1950split

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 14:13:06 pm »

Thanks Jason. What is your rear axle set up? Short/long axles; disc brakes ?
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:24:02 am »

Short axle drum brake

Der Kleiner Panzers
Fiatdude

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:50:23 am »

Where you located at -- Walter at Custom Metal Spinning in Paramount CA (LA) make all the wheels for ERCO -- -- -- You can go down there and he has ALL the different offsets and you can pick and chose the front half and the back half you want and that fit on your car -- You can go from a 3" to 15" wide with almost any offset -- He did the custom fronts and backs for my Fiat-- -- the fronts he even did in 4x96 Fiat lug pattern for me -- -- Great Guy and Great Service -- call him up and he'll take care of you -- Tell him that Fiatdude sent you

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
kingsburgphil

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:49:05 am »

Question, is there an easy way to measure rim width?  And do you measure back space from the extreme outer vertical edge of the wheel (with the wheel laid flat) or the first horizontal surface.

I don't know if I have 6in. race weight Erco's or 7's. I have almost 4 in. of back space, if I bought 6 in.street weight wheels (w/ dot tires) with the usual 3 1/2 back space the tires might rub (short axle/311 drums).

Compounding the problem is buying wheels and tires by mail order. The last thing I need is a pissing contest with an online retailer.

Your thoughts...
Fiatdude

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:37:52 am »

Phil -- -- What I did was hang a rim that I knew was a certain backspacing/size on the hub/drum and went from there -- by looking at other tires that are mounted on rims u can figure how much wider the tire is when mounted BLAH BLAH BLAH and then get under the car with the known rim (or maybe 2 different offset rims) and measure how much clearance there is which direction the rim needs to move to make everything work -- from there you can guesstimate what u need -- u can always look at what others have done too -- It ain't rocket science .......... well maybe lol

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 13:55:43 pm »

My wheels are from custom metal spinning Harold,   Walter is very good people.

Der Kleiner Panzers
1950split

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 14:58:47 pm »

Thank you all for your input ! I live in Europe and plan to buy them directly in the US. Therefore I'm not allowed to mess this up as returning them would cost me an eye..

Anyone knows the backspace of a Deep 6"x15" Fuchs  as it justs sits inside the fender on my car? I know the offset which is ET 36 but not the backspace.

Thanks again..
kingsburgphil

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:03:23 am »

Phil -- -- What I did was hang a rim that I knew was a certain backspacing/size on the hub/drum and went from there -- by looking at other tires that are mounted on rims u can figure how much wider the tire is when mounted BLAH BLAH BLAH and then get under the car with the known rim (or maybe 2 different offset rims) and measure how much clearance there is which direction the rim needs to move to make everything work -- from there you can guesstimate what u need -- u can always look at what others have done too -- It ain't rocket science .......... well maybe lol
Borrowed a big pair graduated calipers from the local tire shop...turns out I have 6's. That should make it easier in buying some street weight wheels.

After that maybe a pair of these...http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=73&rn=311&action=show_detail

Any recommendations as to tire pressures, street and race?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: